Sponsored Links

Successful court action against Virgin

I have had appalling service from this company. My broadband connection simply stopped working four months into a one-year contract. After numerous phone calls to their premium-rate number nothing was any better. Here's my recommended strategy for dealing with them.

If they haven't solved the problem within a few calls save your money: give up! They're not going to fix it. I signed up with another ISP via my BT line within a week of Virgin messing up because I couldn't afford to be without a connection. Then start writing brief letters of complaint to Virgin. They won't reply. They don't like letters because they take time to answer and they can't charge you a premium rate for dealing with them. Their failure to reply to complaints made in writing puts them in a very weak position. Carry on paying their direct debit, because they will start threatening you with credit blacklisting if you stop. After two complaining letters with no response write them a brief letter giving them 14 days to return the charges you've paid for broadband and premium rate calls telling them you'll claim them back in the small claims court if they don't. Don't bother ranting in the letters, I don't believe anyone actually reads them! They won't reply to that either. Issue a claim via "claims online", the small claims website. It will cost you £30 in court fees which Virgin will have to repay. When court papers land on their desk they finally sit up and take notice. The matter gets passed to their legal department who will see the unanswered letters of complaint, realise they don't have a chance and authorise payment without you needing to take the court claim any further(and also in my case cancel the remaining period of your contract).

In short:

-The only way to get them to engage with you is via their legal department.

- Don't just stop paying the direct debits. That doesn't get them to address your complaints. They'll just send more standard letters and pass the file over to debt collectors.

If anyone wants any more information my email address is bethnal_green@hotmail.com

Sponsored Links
Nice work, any chance you can give us the URL for the online claims site you used? I found a couple of rather bland sites but nothing specifically called 'Claims Online'.

Yep, that's the small claims site.

I wouldn't hold your breath until virgin get their act together. Their business model seems to be based partly on messing people about. The more they mess you about, the more you phone and the more money they make. The person in a hundred who makes their life a bit more difficult is a price worth paying. All I actually cost them (apart from the refund of money which I'd paid) was thirty quid in court costs! They must make that in a minute with all the calls going to their customer service centre at premium rates.

However, if a few more people take them to task they might start to behave.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice mate. I have a similar yet worse problem

I am that person in 100 and have all the time in the world to get these suckers sorted. :D:D:D

Hi this is my first post, I would like some advice regarding the best way to proceed against VIRGIN MEDIA, I have been through their so called complaints system and finally having my claim adjudicated by CISAS Internati onal Dispute Resolution centre (London ) who have found in my favour on every point with the exception of the actual amount of my claim for damages - I am a disabled Stroke Patient and have suffered over a years extreme stress and aggravation (including repossion Agencies calling at all times of day & night) this a direct result of V.M's failure to provide the service agreed upon. I have until 18/08/17 to accept or reject the adjudication i would very much appreciate any informed advice on this matter,

Thank you

Last edited:
I don't think there's really enough information above for anybody to offer advice but generally I'd accept the adjudication and then try to get on with your life. The alternative could be a case in the small claims court but that carries a small charge and would add extra stress.

How much are you talking about? i.e the difference between your claim and what the adjudicator has suggested?

My post was to seek help in assessing my claim, the CISAS adjudication does not even cover my expenses to date.
i.e Cost of Photocopies, Extensive calls to the VM Premium Rate Complaints lines, Registered Mail Costs, and take no account of the Stress & Aggravation, abusive calls etc

Sponsored Links
I don't think there's really enough information above for anybody to offer advice but generally I'd accept the adjudication and then try to get on with your life. The alternative could be a case in the small claims court but that carries a small charge and would add extra stress.

Hi Mark, that sounds like very good advice, and I thank you, sometimes our anger and frustration gets in the way of common sense, I was hoping one of your members had some experience,
the CISASas award was for approx. £25 p.month which is a rather insulting amount

On a totally different tack is there a way to get an email notification when I receive replies ?

John H

Hi Mark, that sounds like very good advice, and I thank you, sometimes our anger and frustration gets in the way of common sense, I was hoping one of your members had some experience,
the CISASas award was for approx. £25 p.month which is a rather insulting amount

On a totally different tack is there a way to get an email notification when I receive replies ?

John H

Click "Notifications" at the top of the page, then "General Settings" on the left. You will need to subscribe to any thread you want email notifications for.

I would double-check to see if that judgement is total, or plus expenses; if it isnt, I would certainly consider going to small claims for your costs.

Just be aware that big corporations can play dirty tricks; I had an issue with one years ago that went to court; they booked two courts, 20 miles apart, and scheduled appearances at both - at the same time; so they were guaranteed a win at at least one, as a no-show always goes against you.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5468)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules