Sponsored Links

Supanet cancellation

Just had a voice mail from the debt company and 2 more phone calls. Threatening court and solicitor fees. Delightful man saying they will keep calling from different numbers so they cant be blocked.
He eventually put the phone down on me. ****. And supanet still cant tell me what the debt is for.

I wish to add my recent experience to those already in this thread. Towards the end of May, I had a threatening letter from Q Collect, the debt collection agency which is part of Supanet, stating that I had not paid my monthly subscription and, therefore, owed £273. This was quite a shock as I moved from Supanet to another ISP on Jan 1st 2018, after I had experienced unsatisfactory service from Supanet. This was the sudden arrival, in November 2016, of many Spam e-mails each day, about half being of an unsavory nature and the rest being an invitation to invest money, no doubt into some dodgy scheme.

I answered the letter explaining all this and had a reply that, because I had not followed the correct procedure for cancelling my contact with Supanet, my account was, still, open and that is why I, allegedly, owed this amount. Incidentally, the amount appeared to consist of 17 months unpaid subscription, plus £10pm for 'late payment', plus a further charge. In other words, it was a quite outrageous amount

However, when I decided to change, I could not find any mention in the literature I had received from Supanet of the procedure to adopt, so I did what I would do in similar circumstances, I cancelled my DD. It did the trick as, a fortnight later, I ad a phone call about the matter. I told the called that I had experienced problems and decided to change my ISP and, so, I was no longer using Supanet as my ISP. Naturally, I assumed this would result in cancellation of the contact, but, apparently, this did not happen. Hence the threatening letter and the subsequent ones in reply to my complaint about the handling of the matter. Incidentally I have, subsequently,, browsed the Terms and Conditions posted on the Internet by Supanet and there is no mention of a procedure for Cancellation of Contract! Don't they expect anyone to want to leave Supanet!! It appears that other past customers have found the same problem.

I got so worried abut the matter that I sent details of my experience to Ofcom and have received a reply in which they mention the normal complaints procedure. So, I have, also, written to the Complaints Dept. of Supanet, but have not had a reply, yet. And, if necessary, I may deal with situation by the other methods suggested by Ofcom.

As there are well over 100 other people in the same situation, as browsers of this forum will find out, and many of them are in a lot worse situation than I am, I am hoping that a lot of them will, also, complain to Ofcom and that, as a result, Ofcom will take legal action to deal with this dreadful situation and, also, insist on Supanet compensating those who have paid what they have, allegedly, been told that they owed. We shall see, but I am not holding my breath!

Unlike others, you are probably liable, cancelling a DD doest NOT cancel a contract; nor does telling them over the phone.

Only a letter or email, backed by recorded delivery/delivery status notification will stand up in court.

To make matters worse, companies have to pay a fee for failed DD collections, so they will be rather annoyed at you, and much more likely to push the debt through to a CCJ.

Ive not heard anything for a few weeks now. The last i heard was supanet complaints department were looking into the issue. They admitted i wasn't their customer for the period that they billed me for

The debt agency cannot take you to court unless they have been assigned the debt from Supanet, they would have had to pay a fee to Supanet and been issued with a debt reassignment letter from Supranet. If they do not have that letter then all they are doing is chasing debt on behalf of Supanet and if you pay they get commission on the payment.

On top of that if Supanet were to raise a court claim the first defence point would be the existence of an industry code covering use of ADR which has not been followed and you ask for the claim to be struck out and referred to ADR.

The debt agency cannot take you to court unless they have been assigned the debt from Supanet, they would have had to pay a fee to Supanet and been issued with a debt reassignment letter from Supranet. If they do not have that letter then all they are doing is chasing debt on behalf of Supanet and if you pay they get commission on the payment.

On top of that if Supanet were to raise a court claim the first defence point would be the existence of an industry code covering use of ADR which has not been followed and you ask for the claim to be struck out and referred to ADR.

As an ex debt collector......

These animals know full well that a large proportion of their target will pay up as soon as the word "Court" is mentioned, even if they are 100% positive they dont owe the money, my own mother has paid up rather than go to court.

I have recently been through it myself over a parking fine, nearly a year of threats of court action, then offers of a discount if I paid up, then more court threats, then...... nothing for the last few months.

I will happily go to court and give the judge my side of the story and let him decide; after all, I have won in every single case to date.

Me v CSA
Me v Severn Trent
Me v van driver
Me v CSA (AGAIN!!)
Me v another van driver

Me v Manchester Park n Ride ????????

Hi,
I left Supanet in 2013 after 3 terrible years of account problems. I ended up paying c£20 extra to get them off my back even though I owed nothing. Now 6 years to the day I have a letter from their 'debt collection agency' Quick Collect, telling me I owe £68 plus I didn't return the router. This is clearly a scam and with the amount of posts you can see the way they are operating. I intend to send a Subject Access Request under GDPR regulations asking for all data they hold on me, including emails. I'm also planning to ignore the Quick collection letter as it is out of time under the 6 year cut off. How do we get OFCOM to take action against these crooks?

Doubt OFCOM will get very far, Supanet will just blame the debt collection agency saying they are operating without their instructions. Debt's die after 6 years as you are aware, just ignore but file the paperwork as you should any paperwork referring to a debt. If you look up Quick Collect you may find out they are actually in house and Supanet in disguise, if you can document that then OFCOM may get further.

Quick Collect Ltd are actually dissolved, getting the tax man interested may be a better route for giving them a difficult time.

If its the debt collection company making the threat then they can be ignored, if its Supanet then I would also ignore until they actually raise a claim, at that point you can pay and it will have no affect on credit rating. Until I see evidence that Supanet actually raise court claims I would not worry.

The fact that they use a dissolved company to chase debts over 6 years old suggests they are all bluff and bluster.

If its the debt collection company making the threat then they can be ignored, if its Supanet then I would also ignore until they actually raise a claim, at that point you can pay and it will have no affect on credit rating. Until I see evidence that Supanet actually raise court claims I would not worry.

The fact that they use a dissolved company to chase debts over 6 years old suggests they are all bluff and bluster.

Sadly, my years as a debt collector tells me that many people will pay up on the threat of court, even when they know they dont owe the money.
This is how these scam debt collection companies work.

I visited one guy being sued over a £1 debt to a scummy book club, not only had the guy never bought anything from them, he was BLIND.

Yeah, you read that right, its not a typo, £1.

We used to get a lot of them come through at the end of the month; passing on a certain number of debts kept their referral fees down.

I even had one try it on me, about six years ago, for 2 Pence; the "legal" fees came to £65.

Our family Paid 600 plus on Friday to avoid court proceedings OMBUDSMAN found in their favour even though a telephone transcript clearly showed that relative was coerced into contract Ombudsman even said we had to find out who we had to pay when I explained that Supanet as listed on their website had been disolved

Our family Paid 600 plus on Friday to avoid court proceedings OMBUDSMAN found in their favour even though a telephone transcript clearly showed that relative was coerced into contract Ombudsman even said we had to find out who we had to pay when I explained that Supanet as listed on their website had been disolved

As I said, you should have gone to court, it costs them a lot of money to send someone to contest the case, so usually, they will pressure you right up to the day, but not turn up in court.
If YOU turn up, the case automatically goes in your favour.

Even if they DO send someone, the Judge will listen to both sides, so a clear calm explanation of the issue can cause them to rule in your favour, especially if you take the transcripts of the call.

One thing you havent mentioned is WHERE the case was due to be heard, you have the right to have it at a court local you where you live - which also increases their costs and reduces the chance they will bother attending.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules