Sponsored Links

Supanet cancellation

Hi everyone. After 10+ years of blind and stupid loyalty I decided to change from Supanet to PlusNet. However I've ran into a few problems and of course waiting to speak to someone from Supanet results in a ridiculously long waiting time.
First off they charged me a £35 Cessation fee, which as I understand is only chargeable if you cancel broadband completely, or switch to a provider who uses a different network. PlusNet and Supanet are both BT Wholesale as far as I can see. Supanet said the fee is for removal of the service from their own equipment or some such drivel. Is this correct?

Lastly they supplied a crappy Kasda router years ago (I'd say 6 years but can't remember). I do remember it stopped working shortly after I got it. Now they want it back or else they want £69 for it. And sure enough I can't find it. Yet from their system they can't tell me when it was supplied. Do I have a leg to stand on regarding this?

I wouldn't have even bothered speaking to them. Would have just placed the migration order with PlusNet and then have written back a letter telling them to get stuffed about the ancient router.
Their Terms & Conditions don't seem to mention returning of equipment:
https://www.supanet.com/live/pdf/supanet-broadband-service-terms.pdf

Also seems to be inaccurate these days as it mentions the old MAC (Migration code) procedure.
Their price list does clearly state the cease fee but doesn't mention anything about returning the router:
https://www.supanet.com/live/pdf/Price_list_supanet.pdf
Given that you were never charged the £69 upfront and the price list and terms don't mention that it is a deferred charge I'd contest this. Unless you have your original "your Order Confirmation" document which might mention this.

Again, if it were me and they were contesting that I still owed the router charge I'd go as far as deadlock letters and then ADR.

Supanet have, for years, been such a scummy company and don't deserve what few customers they have.

Thanks for the reply. There is smallprint hidden in their many pages of terms and conditions (can't remember which one ) about returning the router. Back then they described the router as "free" and never once mentioned it would ever need to be returned. It's just a scummy tactic to get more money, plain and simple. Those routers were worth about £20 when they were new. The £35 Cease Fee they charged certainly looks like it's not legal. I didn't expect it to be plain sailing leaving these clowns, and they certainly didn't disappoint

Sponsored Links
The cease fee is something they pass on from BTOR, who started charging ISPs for what was originally a free service over 5 years ago.

Prior to that, you were correct; a fee was only incurred when switching BACK to the BT network from an alternative network, such as Sky or Virgin cable.

Ré the router, tell them it was returned to them after it broke, and you will happily turn up to the court when they sue you for the £69. As you say, it was a POS, and after 10 years, even a working one is nothing but junk they throw straight in the skip when returned, no court will award them the money.

The cease fee is raised by Openreach but it is for connections ceased you are migrating which is normally free.

Thanks for the replies everyone. As usual I've sat in a queue on the phone to them for over 30mins before I got bored and hung up. And they're not replying to emails.
On another note a couple of hours ago my PlusNet connection went active and already seeing a faster connection than I ever had with Supanet

Sponsored Links
Same trouble

Thanks for the replies everyone. As usual I've sat in a queue on the phone to them for over 30mins before I got bored and hung up. And they're not replying to emails.
On another note a couple of hours ago my PlusNet connection went active and already seeing a faster connection than I ever had with Supanet
Hi. New member here.
I am having the same trouble. I cancelled and moved to Ee in 2016. I agreed a payment plan for the remaining £105 .
I became unemployed and couldnt afford the repayment. They have since caught up with me. The bill was £105 but now they have added a charge of £99 for not returning the router. It is in the comtract to return it within 14 days of cancelation. But it would be prices at how much it was worth at the time of taking the contract.
I rang them to arrange a payment plan again when i was billed for £105. But when I rang them he added £69 at the time for the router . I told him i still had the router but he wouldnt let me send it back. As it was too late as stated in the contract. I asked him wjat the sort code and account number was to start paying money. Then he got annoyed and wouldnt agree a plan. He wanted £70 off my card and then wanted to arrange a payment plan after. I asked again for bank details .
Which would not give. Then went on to say the bill would be £206.40 if i wanted to pay installments. I was now annoyed with his arogance and disbelief of these charges for a router I still had . And was worth nothing.
I got annoyed and told him they were getting nothing. He went on to say theres more than one way to get money out of people. I felt like this was an actual threat down the phone. I was foaming.
I then told him to take me to court.
I have since been bombarded with phone calls and emails . I was given a final demand before esculation . So I have rang and agreed a weekly payment. The first payment has not come out yet .
What would happen and how much would it cost me extra if I let it go all the way to court.
It is very obvious it is a scam with the router to extort extra money from the small print in the contract. There is no proof or receipt of the value of the router to a sum of £99 or £69 . I read i can dispute some charges that they have added but i’ll have to pay it all
If i lose and it will end up costing more. The guy was also questioning me about personal stuff. I told him I was on holiday when he rang me twice . Then when I aranged my weekly payment with him he asked me how did I go on holiday if I cant afford to pay more money to them. I dont have to explain any of my affairs with these debt collectors , do I ?
Any advice would be apprieciated .
My first payment is due soon. I’ve got it down to a low amount weekly. He did not seem happy at all with this. Haha. The company is Quick collect. But really it is just A Supanet department. He could even see what I had been chatting about online to the Supanet customer service lad earlier. The customer service lad told me I couldnt get charged of i returned the router. Then the quick collext guy said otherwise. Shocking this.
Please help .

Get a deadlock letter from them and then submit your complaint to the "ADR" provider that covers Supanet:
https://www.ombudsman-services.org/sectors/communications

There is a huge chance that ADR will find in your favour if you document everything clearly. Also note, in your complaint, that other customers have also had similar issues and possibly reference this forum thread on ISP Review.
I wish you luck.. So glad I rarely come across Supanet .. but each time I do it seems like the customer is on the end of unfair practices.

Hi Thanks for replying so quick and the advice.
What do you mean by a dead lock letter?
I’ve asked for a complaint letter but nothing recieved as of yet.
Thanks again. :)

If you have a complaint that you can't resolve with your ISP the procedure is to get a deadlock letter from them and take the complaint to the ADR scheme (in this case for Supanet, Ombudsman Services, see link in my last post).

For more information see https://www.ispreview.co.uk/new/complain/official_isp_complaints_handlers.php and the section titled "3. Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)".

If Supanet are failing to provide you a deadlock letter I advise contacting ombudsman services and discussing what the procedure is if the ISP is unresponsive to requests for a deadlock letter.

Good luck - and I am interested how you get on.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help

If you have a complaint that you can't resolve with your ISP the procedure is to get a deadlock letter from them and take the complaint to the ADR scheme (in this case for Supanet, Ombudsman Services, see link in my last post).

For more information see https://www.ispreview.co.uk/new/complain/official_isp_complaints_handlers.php and the section titled "3. Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)".

If Supanet are failing to provide you a deadlock letter I advise contacting ombudsman services and discussing what the procedure is if the ISP is unresponsive to requests for a deadlock letter.

Good luck - and I am interested how you get on.

Thanks for your help

I have just joined this forum and have the same problem with Supanet. I cancelled with them in March 2016 and recently received a letter saying I owed £55.96 as an 'Outstanding balance' and advised me to contact Quick Collect to arrange payment within 15 days to avoid escalation to legal action. Speaking to Quick Collect on the phone he was very insistent it had to be paid asap or other measures would taken which would add charges and bailiffs would be sent to recover the debt.

It took them more than 2 years to write to me about the 'debt' which apparently was because I had agreed, though unbeknown to me, to keep the e-mail service for £3.99 a month. After cancelling the broadband with Supanet there was 2 subsequent small monthly charges of £4.49 & £3.99 that I assumed was final charges and then cancelled the direct debit which then started accruing non-payment fees until finally Supanet themselves cancelled in November 2016. I only found this out after receiving a letter 2 years or more later! When speaking to someone from Quick Collect I was then hit with "there is also a £99 charge because you didn't return the router".

My dilemma now is do I ignore it or pay-up?

Last edited:
Same dilema as me

I have just joined this forum and have the same problem with Supanet. I cancelled with them in March 2016 and recently received a letter saying I owed £55.96 as an 'Outstanding balance' and advised me to contact Quick Collect to arrange payment within 15 days to avoid escalation to legal action. Speaking to Quick Collect on the phone he was very insistent it had to be paid asap or other measures would taken which would add charges and bailiffs would be sent to recover the debt.

It took them more than 2 years to write to me about the 'debt' which apparently was because I had agreed, though unbeknown to me, to keep the e-mail service for £3.99 a month. After cancelling the broadband with Supanet there was 2 subsequent small monthly charges of £4.49 & £3.99 that I assumed was final charges and then cancelled the direct debit which then started accruing non-payment fees until finally Supanet themselves cancelled in November 2016. I only found this out after receiving a letter 2 years or more later! When speaking to someone from Quick Collect I was then hit with "there is also a £99 charge because you didn't return the router".

My dilemma now is do I ignore it or pay-up?
Exactly what i have been going through. I have set up a weekly payment plan just to start the ball rolling but it is very low. I have asked for a complaint form but nothing has arrived as of yet.

Ive been on holiday for 3 weeks and yet I still wait on the complaint letter. Ill be getting in touch and asking for the deadlock letter now.

Sponsored Links
Ive asked for the complaints procedure again and also a dead lock letter and still have not recieved a thing. Is it because i am actually paying a weekly sum to them and they think i wont go further. Ill get my payments back off them surley if i win my case. Especially whats just happened in court with EE

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules