Sponsored Links

Supanet cancellation

One of the people who has complained about Supanet is considering whether to hire a solicitor in order to help defend their position. As part of that I'd like to ask if any of those trying to defend against these demands, assuming you genuinely had no knowledge of any outstanding balance when cancelling / switching all those years ago, would be interested in sharing or helping the defense (even if only to provide a written statement of your experience)?

If so then please drop me a short email so I can at least keep those with an interest informed about developments and options, should such a need arise.

One of the people who has complained about Supanet is considering whether to hire a solicitor in order to help defend their position. As part of that I'd like to ask if any of those trying to defend against these demands, assuming you genuinely had no knowledge of any outstanding balance when cancelling / switching all those years ago, would be interested in sharing or helping the defense (even if only to provide a written statement of your experience)?

If so then please drop me a short email so I can at least keep those with an interest informed about developments and options, should such a need arise.

I have no problem doing that.

Another Update.
I hope I am not taking over this thread but find it therapeutic to write it down and de-stress. It might also help others in future.
Received a letter from QC today stating that the balance owed is not statute barred because of a payment made in Nov 2013 of £75. They had made many attempts to take money from my credit card during 2013 but all blocked so will have to check that up. They sent me invoices again and in them is not one that says payment received £75 or a reduction from the balance so I'm thinking that it could be bull again.
It says a MAC was requested Nov 2012 but because they had not received an official cancellation, supanet continued to supply a service. Up to October 2013 a number of chargebacks were received for payments made which were invalid due to no official cancellation. Not sure what chargebacks are and what type of service they were supplying down a BT line.
The time of deadlock is also up so may ask for that again on Monday.
The fight goes on.

Isn't a chargeback often the terminology of a credit or debit card company clawing the funds back (usually only when a customer contests a charge)?

Isn't a chargeback often the terminology of a credit or debit card company clawing the funds back (usually only when a customer contests a charge)?
I have no idea but here is the letter and one of the invoices. I can't remember how many times I told them to cancel and they just would not do it. If they did manage to take £75 from me without knowing, could I claim it back from credit card company? Its less than 6 years!!!

i wondered if anybody has refused to pay quickcollect - i had a demand for the unreturned router and have gone the route of asking for a deadlock letter and also complained to Ofcom. I would recommend anyone on this thread complaining to Ofcom because it will raise the profile of the company and make Ofcom aware of their practices. I went on LBC s Clive Bull consumer affairs programme the other night and the adviser seemed to think that Ofcom would not be impressed by their demands for money after 5 years of not being with that ISP.

i wondered if anybody has refused to pay quickcollect - i had a demand for the unreturned router and have gone the route of asking for a deadlock letter and also complained to Ofcom. I would recommend anyone on this thread complaining to Ofcom because it will raise the profile of the company and make Ofcom aware of their practices. I went on LBC s Clive Bull consumer affairs programme the other night and the adviser seemed to think that Ofcom would not be impressed by their demands for money after 5 years of not being with that ISP.
Have they refused your deadlock letter. They refused mine. looks to me like they are just making stuff up to get money. If they did take £75 from me in 2013 then why doesn't their so called invoice say -£75. I think holes could be picked in any of QC or supanets demands.

Another Update.
I hope I am not taking over this thread but find it therapeutic to write it down and de-stress. It might also help others in future.
Received a letter from QC today stating that the balance owed is not statute barred because of a payment made in Nov 2013 of £75. They had made many attempts to take money from my credit card during 2013 but all blocked so will have to check that up. They sent me invoices again and in them is not one that says payment received £75 or a reduction from the balance so I'm thinking that it could be bull again.
It says a MAC was requested Nov 2012 but because they had not received an official cancellation, supanet continued to supply a service. Up to October 2013 a number of chargebacks were received for payments made which were invalid due to no official cancellation. Not sure what chargebacks are and what type of service they were supplying down a BT line.
The time of deadlock is also up so may ask for that again on Monday.
The fight goes on.
When you use a MAC when it was in service the using it BT sent them the notice you were leaving and it is impossible to supply two services on one telephone line.

If they refuse you a deadlock letter contact the ADR and OFCOM.

Also, going by Andrews & Arnold's experience (another ISP) the customer can be demonstrably wrong and ADR will still rule in the customers favour :)

And remember, if you use ADR (which you're entitled to do), it costs Supanet regardless of the outcome - and if enough people do it they might rethink this strategy.
I tried to use the online ADR and it wouldn't let me get too far into the process as it said it had to be over 8 weeks over the first complaint. I could be doing it wrong of course.

Try taking a different approach. I think it's perfectly reasonable to assume that the dispute technically started years ago, according to Supanet. In that sense this is a case that, by the ISP's own admission, has gone unresolved for that length of time. Well over 8 weeks.

Try taking a different approach. I think it's perfectly reasonable to assume that the dispute technically started years ago, according to Supanet. In that sense this is a case that, by the ISP's own admission, has gone unresolved for that length of time. Well over 8 weeks.
Many thanks. I hadn't thought of that. Because I put the date back to 2013 I have now lodged my complaint with the ombudsman. I attached evidence and hopefully they will get off my back. I checked my credit card statements carefully and they managed to take two lots of £30.24 and a £75.99 in 2013. I don't know how I didn't spot these deductions so I have asked for reimbursement of these monies as they were taken illegally. Hopefully the ombudsman can make sense of what I put down and it wasn't too garbled.

Be prepared for parallel TalkTalk/Virgin threads; apparently people who left 6-8-forever years ago are discovering their email accounts are still running - after spammers got access to them.

Now the two ISPs realise they havent shut down these accounts, how long before they try to start billing for them??

Better to talk about that one in a separate topic as I don't want to take this one off-topic, but TT/Virgin's old accounts are generally of the free type and they are not the sort of companies that will backdate charges for them.

Better to talk about that one in a separate topic as I don't want to take this one off-topic, but TT/Virgin's old accounts are generally of the free type and they are not the sort of companies that will backdate charges for them.

Hi Mark, I seem to remember that if you left and wanted to keep your email live, they charged for it.
Story over on The Register.

Update.
Have not heard anything from supernet since contacting the Ombudsman but got a message from the Ombudsman today.
"The company has contacted us to query the acceptance of your complaint. We are currently reviewing this to check it is a complaint that we can help you with. Please select View case to see the update."
I clicked on it and it just took me to the page with my complaint on.
Not too sure how I feel about this but definitely not as confident as a few days ago. I just pray that it goes my way.

Good morning, I may as well join in on this thread. Used to be with Supanet and also my Dad was with them. I left in 2013 and Dad left them in 2014.
I act on Dad's behalf as he is now 93. I received a text a few weeks ago saying to contact regarding outstanding Supanet debt, non return of router on my Dad's account. Usual story, asked for details from Supanet, told in hands of Debt Collector, spoke to QuickCollect and requested proof of debt etc. Got a copy of the original contract dated 2013.
Got a phone call from QC last night wanting settlement of account. I refused and asked for Deadlock Letter, he refused saying that there wasn't a dispute so I couldn't have a letter. I pushed him again for the Deadlock letter, he refused and said he was going to escalate debt recovery action.
Next steps: write to them asking for Deadlock Letter, copy to ADR and also Ombudsman. Then wait and see what happens

Don't forget to report to Ofcom there are enough in here complaining for Ofcom to start to investigate if you all report it. My personal opinion if it was my company I would have sent out letters asking for payment within a year of the customer leaving.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules