Sponsored Links

Super Slow Speed - John Lewis Broadband

Hi,

I live in a rural location and my house is about 4.5km from our cabinet. I don't expect super fast speeds - we used to get about 2500kbps. However over the last few weeks it has become unusable. I cannot say what speed I am getting as the speed checked website times out.

Here is a grab from my router stats

You can see the data rate is very low and reading into it, the Noise margin is very high.

I have contacted John Lewis many times, and explained the problem, they have done a line test (no fault found) and keep saying they will reset the connection, but it doesn't help.

I'm getting frustrated as it is the same script, take off your face plate (I don't have a modern face plate so there is no master socket under the plate) etc.

I am calling them every day and have raised a formal complaint hoping this will escalate the issue - does anyone have any insight or advice?

Thanks
Lur

Have you tried new filter and RJ11 cable I always recommend a sheilded cable it helps reduce noise internat to your home.

Those links as faceplate are links to items for sale and nothing to do with ADSL.
Post a screenshot of the BT master socket you have in your home this might need replacing aswell.

Sponsored Links
By the sounds of it kits he has a much older socket and may not have a traditional NTE5 style Mastersocket inside his house. If that's the case then I might consider it worth asking the ISP if they can have Openreach come out and install a modern filtered Mastersocket (NTE5C), although this can attract a big cost (£100 ish) but in the longer term it could boost speeds by cutting out the bell / ring wire interference. The stats suggest that this may be worth trying.

A speed of 1-2Mbps is about normal for an downstream attenuation of 59db, although that upstream SNR should really be about half of the downstream figure rather than the same.

The basic SIN349 line test that is often conducted will not be good enough to detect many broadband performance problems.

A speed of 1-2Mbps is about normal for an downstream attenuation of 59db, although that upstream SNR should really be about half of the downstream figure rather than the same.

With that SNR I would expect quite a good sync rate for the line length prob more than 2 meg its all down to the sync profile applied by DLM.

It goes on the downstream from 3db to 15db in 3 db increments interleaved and with INP on each in different levels. The upstream starts at 6db and also goes to 15 in 3 db steps. So anything that high would make me think there was a resync of the line where that was the best it could get at the time and the SNR has risen from then to what it is now.

The attenuation looks about right from what I would expect The reason I asked for a reboot was to see what the new sync stats are if they are the same low sync and a high SNR at around 30 or certainly higher than the highest DLM profile at 15db would suggest a port issue, last time I saw this is was down to a bug on a firmware on either alcatel or marconi I cant remember which.

Either way theres a problem somewhere to cause that sync speed, given the recent weather I would be tempted to suggest a cable/joint was water logged.

A reboot of the router or just take out the cable and plug it back in to force a resync would give me more info from the stats, also are there any error stats on the router?

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5470)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules