Sponsored Links

Super-Slow speeds today??

Anyone else suffering, is it just me, Aquiss or Entanet??

My internet download speeds have dropped off of a cliff, from 80Mbps to 20 half an hour ago, and now down to 16Mbps (according to SpeedTest.net); email client is struggling to connect to any of my gmail accounts (although the gmail webmail page is working).

A 64MB download that should take a few minutes, is currently estimated at another 27 minutes (60% completed), but was estimated at over 2 1/2 hours a short while ago (19kBps average).

I quickly ran a torrent test, as this bypasses HTTP issues, and it was also max'ing out at 19kB.

Uploads are unaffected.

First rule of thumb, contact our support desk, rather than a forum that we don't own. It's purely by chance I saw this.

First rule of thumb, contact our support desk, rather than a forum that we don't own. It's purely by chance I saw this.

Hi Martin, actually, I have tried twice, not even getting an automated response, but since email is also affected, I dont know if it is getting through.
I was just about to try calling; I put it off in case there WAS something major going on, and you were too busy to reply.

Sponsored Links
Hi Martin, actually, I have tried twice, not even getting an automated response, but since email is also affected, I dont know if it is getting through.
I was just about to try calling; I put it off in case there WAS something major going on, and you were too busy to reply.

OK, The connection just sprang back into life, download speeds back in the high 70's and Pings back to 15ms (they went to 47ms at one point.

Panic almost over; however this has happened a few times recently (although usually for much shorter periods), so I will be keeping a very careful eye on speedtest results for the next few weeks, to see if there is a pattern.

(Mailserver still cannot log in to gmail IMAP though)

RUDE WORDS, back down to below 20 again.

Tests show a high 50's initially, then quickly drop down to an average of 17-19Mbps.

Hi Kitts, I have been trying.

Using my aquiss account I got nothing, using a gmail account I got through, but the reply is obviously sent back via gmail, which I am having issues accessing, ie I can send, but getting odd things happen on incoming.

Mailwasher cannot get a mail server connection to gmail, Thunderbird can, and manages to download the mail, but isnt telling me it has new mail unless it is coming via my aquiss account.

All very confusing.

I have had a reply from Martin saying no specific issues, but it doesnt explain why downloads are being capped at 19kBps, or why gmail IMAP isnt connecting (pop works).

One other thing, normally Speedtest shows me in Birmingham, today it thinks I am in London.

Sponsored Links
Think you might need to try without all the mailwasher stuff and try just basic email to se if it works as this does sound like just you my gmail is working perfectly.

Hi Kits,

It seems the gmail issue was a screwed update, however I am not sure WHICH program, AV, AM or Firewall. After fighting my PC for an hour, I managed to get to the point where I could delete them (whichever was the problem was blocking me from doing anything).

After a reboot, gmail worked again.

Internet speeds are back to normal again, although speedtest.net is still saying I am located in London; could you pop over and look to see where they think you are??

However, the slow speeds were not PC related, as all connections in the house were being affected, my wife has informed me this afternoon, that she lost her internet TV stream early yesterday evening, and couldnt get it back, all night it kept buffering.

Normally we can run three different HD streams and not notice anything (PC, TV, and mobile).

I'm going to install then wait a week with each program, to give each one time to screw up before installing the next.

AVAST has just reinstalled, and I am about to reboot........

Thought it was something like that for emails, pain in backside when they play up. As for internet on speedtest.net has me at the right location you sure your home not gone mobile and moved to London.. :D:D:D

Sponsored Links
Thought it was something like that for emails, pain in backside when they play up. As for internet on speedtest.net has me at the right location you sure your home not gone mobile and moved to London.. :D:D:D

I just checked out the window, still the same set of hills in view.

I have had ST.org show me in the wrong place nefore, I was up near Manchester last year, but a sudden move to London, and a massive loss of throughtput at the same time.... well, there might have been a link.

Mark's post about the upline issue is interesting, I got told nothing about it when I finally got an email through, and I see this morning there is news about Enta signing up Metronet, could there be a link??

Mark's post about the upline issue is interesting, I got told nothing about it when I finally got an email through, and I see this morning there is news about Enta signing up Metronet, could there be a link??

Hardly, as Entanet are adding the Metronet wireless solutions into their wholesale portfolio. This is not related to WBC services at all.

OK, so not a case of them dropping the ball while looking the other way then?

OK, no problem.

Sponsored Links
I have had a few very slow days recently, always weekdays during business hours when Aquiss traffic management favours business over domestic accounts. I'm wondering if that is becoming more of an issue.

I have been told that the new equipment is coming online this month so this should be resolved depending on what node dates started this week with wolverhampton.

According to the twitter updates Manchester, Milton Keynes and Newcastle move over early hours 28th Sept, with Nottingham, Peterborough and Preston moving over on 29th Sept. Then on 30th Sept they have planned to move Sheffield, slough and Stepney Green a later add on was Bristol moving over on 30th.

No dates on yet for others but I was told it was all going over from the old equipment, I have a business package and seen some slowdowns when Microsoft and Apple send out updates yet evenings are max available.

Follow Aquiss Twitter for updates https://twitter.com/AquissBroadband?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Speeds have come back up, and Speedtest now shows me in Manchester, so I somehow think the two are related.

Of course I am NOT in Manchester, and every other location site shows me in more or less the right place; but Speedtest has shown me in Manchester since the day I got fibre, so I assume it is something to do with how they are set up - is Entanet based there by any chance??

As for people borrowing my internet, I use a robust set of passwords and my router keeps a log of who has been connected; 2 phones, one tablet, one TV, one Android TV box, and five PCs on my home network, and 6 phones on my guest network - all of which I can account for.

Plus, if anyone wanted to steal bandwidth, there is a wifi network router a few doors away that has been unsecured for about four years.

Captain Cretin if it shows as Manchester then you will be on the Manchester node, not sure where you live but a friend of mine in Wales also connects via the Manchester node.

Entanet is based in Telford Shropshire but they have nodes all over the country that their customers conect to.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules