Sponsored Links

Switching FTTP Provider will put me without internet for over 2 weeks

tom196

Casual Member
I currently have 80/20 FTTP with Cerberus networks but I'm looking at changing to BT as they are so much cheaper.

When I spoke to BT they explained I have to fully cancel my current service before they can even begin placing a new order. I then have to wait a minimum of 2 weeks (possibly longer) before they can activate the new service.

This would mean no internet at all for over 2 weeks as I don't even get 4g were I live (0.1 mbps on 3g)

Has anybody else ran into this? I don't think I have seen anybody have this issue before

I don't see why you can't just order a second FTTP service with BT and then cancel Cerberus once it is working?

If Cerberus are using an Openreach product, you should be able to migrate services. We do dozens of these daily.

Do you want to DM me your address details and I'll see if I can spot anything odd on your line?

Sponsored Links
I don't see why you can't just order a second FTTP service with BT and then cancel Cerberus once it is working?

This is what I thought would happen but they said they cant "take over" from the current service with FTTP like they can with normal FTTC. The current service had to be cancelled first.

If Cerberus are using an Openreach product, you should be able to migrate services. We do dozens of these daily.

Do you want to DM me your address details and I'll see if I can spot anything odd on your line?

I've DM'd you

Unless the OP wants another ONT fitted, it would be impossible if he/she has a single port ONT.

@OP
Can't you simply order the BT service online? Its usually the gaining provider (in your case BT) who would inform Cerberus to cancel the existing service (doesn't matter if its FTTP or FTTC).

Unless the OP wants another ONT fitted, it would be impossible if he/she has a single port ONT.

@OP
Can't you simply order the BT service online? Its usually the gaining provider (in your case BT) who would inform Cerberus to cancel the existing service (doesn't matter if its FTTP or FTTC).

No, I get to the end of the order process and it says there is an error and I have to call them to complete it. When I called them the first guy I spoke to couldn't place the order either so had to pass me on to a different team who have a different system.

As per my DM, it's a simple migration, with no downtime as you have an active ONT in place, so I don't know what BT Retail are playing at, apart from they don't have a clue.

I'd like to push our own Openreach based FTTP products here https://www.aquiss.net/unlimited-fttp-fibre-broadband/ however if they can't deal with a migration, then maybe select a different FTTP provider.

Sponsored Links
I can't echo this enough either.

Believe me I don't want to go with BT, but for the 150mbps package they are about £200 cheaper for the first year than the next cheapest (Zen), and thats without the £120 prepaid mastercard you get for going with BT.

Believe me I don't want to go with BT, but for the 150mbps package they are about £200 cheaper for the first year than the next cheapest (Zen), and thats without the £120 prepaid mastercard you get for going with BT.

I hear ya and that is what most people look at when choosing broadband, but think about when it goes wrong. You pay a bit more you generally get UK support and these companies tend to shine then.

Just give it some thought.

How long is the contract with BT and how much is it after 12 month? Zen do a guarantee where the price wont rise I believe.

I hear ya and that is what most people look at when choosing broadband, but think about when it goes wrong. You pay a bit more you generally get UK support and these companies tend to shine then.

Support in the UK who do understand what they are supporting and not people just doing a call centre job.

One of my biggest gripes with offshore support is how can they support it when they dont experience what it is they are supporting?

Sponsored Links
My experience of BT says that what they appear to give you in value at the front of a deal they will try to pull it back. You need to have eyes in the back of your head to stay on the positive side and read and understand the full terms and conditions you agree to.

I refuse to use BT and will be sticking to 4G as long as my local exchange remains a BT only exchange.

BT will screw you left, right, up, down, and sideways; AND drag their feet.
When I had issues with VISPA selling my line out from under me, BT told me it would take at LEAST a month to get a new line in; and then I would have to wait at LEAST another 2 weeks to get FTTC enabled.

Mark at Aquiss got the line installed in 10 days, with the FTTC going live a couple of days later - plus, the cost of getting the line in was 1/3rd what BT wanted to charge me.

Errrrrmm FTTP is very reliable (unlike xDSL) and once the OP is up & running with BT, its highly unlikely he will require any technical support.

Sponsored Links
Errrrrmm FTTP is very reliable (unlike xDSL) and once the OP is up & running with BT, its highly unlikely he will require any technical support.
This is my experience so far. I ordered it, then it was installed and has worked perfectly since. I have had no contact with the isp at all and had no down time or speed drops

I know this thread has gone off topic so I'll just say I decided not to go with BT. I did want to have speeds of over 100mbps but the only options are BT or pay through the nose.
I've decided to stick with the 80/20 package I currently have but move to Aquiss as they have great value black Friday offer. Hopefully the downtime when switching is minimal

Sky are supposed to be releasing Openreach based FTTP services by the end of the year, pretty sure they will be far cheaper than BT retail/other ISPs. Perhaps worth waiting for a month or so to see what Sky's offerings & prices are, before committing?

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Sky Broadband UK ISP Logo
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5443)
  2. BT (3497)
  3. Politics (2513)
  4. Openreach (2285)
  5. Business (2242)
  6. Building Digital UK (2226)
  7. FTTC (2040)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1954)
  9. Statistics (1770)
  10. 4G (1648)
  11. Virgin Media (1603)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1446)
  13. Wireless Internet (1384)
  14. Fibre Optic (1384)
  15. FTTH (1380)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules