Sponsored Links

Switching FTTP providers

kpf61

Casual Member
I currently have TalkTalk FTTP via CityFibre; decided to switch to Vodafone as TT customer service is awful. Both orders I placed with Vodafone were cancelled by CityFibre, as there is currently an active FTTP service to my address. At present only way round this is to cancel TT and once they have ceased the service Vodafone can take over; but this means no service for between the cease date and the "new" service date. They wont even allow a advance date for the new supplier! This has even got Vodafone concerned the guy from customer services said he is raising this as an issue as it is bound to happen to other "potential" customers. Its going to be an issue for anyone wanting to switch from one ISP FTTP to another when they are using CityFibres infrastructure.

At present, there's no regulated migration process for switching between alternative networks, which usually means you have to cancel the old service and then order the new one (i.e. downtime and the possibility of some extra costs).

The good news is that Ofcom, rather slowly, have recognised this and a new process is coming, but it won't be enforced for a while.

What issue are you having on TT FTTP? Unlike their xDSL services, TT have a dedicated UK based support team for their FTTP customers (both Openreach and Cityfibre) and I've found them to be pretty good. Also worth remembering, if your issue is down to Cityfibre rather than TT, then it won't magically go away when you move to Vodafone. Might be worth giving TT Future Fibre (FTTP) support team a call on 0800-093-7336, if you haven't already spoken to them.

Sponsored Links
At present, there's no regulated migration process for switching between alternative networks, which usually means you have to cancel the old service and then order the new one (i.e. downtime and the possibility of some extra costs).
And sadly, at the moment this even applies to switching providers on the same altnet.

What issue are you having on TT FTTP? Unlike their xDSL services, TT have a dedicated UK based support team for their FTTP customers (both Openreach and Cityfibre) and I've found them to be pretty good. Also worth remembering, if your issue is down to Cityfibre rather than TT, then it won't magically go away when you move to Vodafone. Might be worth giving TT Future Fibre (FTTP) support team a call on 0800-093-7336, if you haven't already spoken to them.
I have a major issue with TT customer service, to kick off I was offered £35pm for FF500 with 3 months free, my neighbour as a new customer was offered FF500 £35pm 6 months free, TT made a "promise" a few years back that existing customers would get offered same deal as new ones. During many calls between myself and TT I have been repeatedly told that 6 months offer was a promotion by CityFibre and that I was on the OpenReach FTTP portal, which is false. OpenReach do not have FTTP available in my area; so it is CityFibre that TT are using in my area. Vodafone told me that if it were just an FTTC switch it would be straight forward line take over with downtime at a minimum. Also, I don't think TT are really geared up yet for FTTP as they don't offer a telephone service as part of the package, other FTTP using CityFibre in my area BrawBand and Vodafone can. And in 6 years with TT I have only ever spoken to UK based staff when any complaints get to the top.

I have a major issue with TT customer service, to kick off I was offered £35pm for FF500 with 3 months free, my neighbour as a new customer was offered FF500 £35pm 6 months free, TT made a "promise" a few years back that existing customers would get offered same deal as new ones. During many calls between myself and TT I have been repeatedly told that 6 months offer was a promotion by CityFibre and that I was on the OpenReach FTTP portal, which is false. OpenReach do not have FTTP available in my area; so it is CityFibre that TT are using in my area. Vodafone told me that if it were just an FTTC switch it would be straight forward line take over with downtime at a minimum. Also, I don't think TT are really geared up yet for FTTP as they don't offer a telephone service as part of the package, other FTTP using CityFibre in my area BrawBand and Vodafone can. And in 6 years with TT I have only ever spoken to UK based staff when any complaints get to the top.
Gotcha. But did you actually speak to someone in their dedicated FF team? Because I find it very hard to believe that they wouldn’t know the difference between an OR based FTTP service and a CF based FTTP service. If you’re still hitting a brick wall, then I suggest posting on the TT forum (FF section) and one of the TT staff may get someone from their FF team to call you and sort this out.Btw TT also record all calls, so if you know for sure what was agreed over the phone - and they’re not honouring it - then ask them to look up that particular call.

Sponsored Links
Gotcha. But did you actually speak to someone in their dedicated FF team? Because I find it very hard to believe that they wouldn’t know the difference between an OR based FTTP service and a CF based FTTP service. If you’re still hitting a brick wall, then I suggest posting on the TT forum (FF section) and one of the TT staff may get someone from their FF team to call you and sort this out.Btw TT also record all calls, so if you know for sure what was agreed over the phone - and they’re not honouring it - then ask them to look up that particular call.
I have spoken to at least 4 different team members, and at least 3 customer service advisor, and 2 "mangers", each an everyone start of telling me i am OR FTTP and they just don't take it onboard, I am in no way prejudice butth none of them were UK based. I even called BT/OR and asked if I can get FTTP at my address and have been told no as they only have FTTC at the moment. TT are basically not moving in giving me an extra 3 months free, despite it being offered to new customers, more ironic my mate who lives about 2miles away on same road and they offered him £29.95 + 6 free months, when I challenged TT on that what did I get.."He will be on OR and it's they who are offering the deal via TT, again he's on CF

When you signed up to your TT FTTP service over the phone, did you not agree the deal with them there and then? Because that was the time to walk away if you weren't happy what you were offered, NOT after your service went live. What discounts others have got are irrelevant as TT (and other mass ISPs) often give variable discounts depending on who you speak to at the time and of course down to luck. If TT are charging you what was agreed with you at the point of sale and they gave you that price in writing (eg email), then I'm afraid that is what you are contractually obliged to pay. Unless you're saying they're not honouring the price you agreed with them over the phone?

When you signed up to your TT FTTP service over the phone, did you not agree the deal with them there and then? Because that was the time to walk away if you weren't happy what you were offered, NOT after your service went live. What discounts others have got are irrelevant as TT (and other mass ISPs) often give variable discounts depending on who you speak to at the time and of course down to luck. If TT are charging you what was agreed with you at the point of sale and they gave you that price in writing (eg email), then I'm afraid that is what you are contractually obliged to pay. Unless you're saying they're not honouring the price you agreed with them over the phone?
I have two points:
1)Having been a loyal customer since 2015, and as far as I am aware the first in my area to take FTTP with TT, and given that they made a commitment a few years back to offer existing customers the same value deals as new customers, I thought I was getting a good deal. As soon as I found out my neighbour got a mailshot offerrigng FF500 for £35pm and 6 months free I, naturally, felt let down and raised a complaint immediately.

2)The attitude and the way my complaint has been dealt with is, in my opinion, sub-standard and not what I would expect from being a loyal customer.

Even more interesting, is that when my neighbour went onto TT website as a new customer the FF500 was £40pm with no free months.

I agree with you n the point that it depends who you talk to when you call up, but that should not be the case. All for one and one for all lol

I have two points:
1)Having been a loyal customer since 2015, and as far as I am aware the first in my area to take FTTP with TT, and given that they made a commitment a few years back to offer existing customers the same value deals as new customers, I thought I was getting a good deal. As soon as I found out my neighbour got a mailshot offerrigng FF500 for £35pm and 6 months free I, naturally, felt let down and raised a complaint immediately.

2)The attitude and the way my complaint has been dealt with is, in my opinion, sub-standard and not what I would expect from being a loyal customer.

Even more interesting, is that when my neighbour went onto TT website as a new customer the FF500 was £40pm with no free months.

I agree with you n the point that it depends who you talk to when you call up, but that should not be the case. All for one and one for all lol
You got a good deal. Your neighbour and mate got a better one and you have sour grapes.

The end.

Sponsored Links
I have two points:

BIB: seems like a classic case of buyers remorse. However that doesn't change the fact that the deal you're currently on was contractually agreed by you and TT so I'm not sure what you're complaint is about.

If i bought a pair of shoes for £50 and the following week they were reduced to £20 in a clearance sale in the same shop, do you think i would be entitled to a partial refund? Of course not, so I'm not sure why you think TT should renege on your mutual agreement?

Moving forward, if you do end up cancelling the TT service then you will almost certainly be hit with early termination charges (if still in contract) and these will wipe out any savings you'd be making with Vodafone. Refusing to pay the ETCs could potentially trash your credit rating, not to mention being sued by TT for breach of contract.

Any offer that says we won't offer it cheaper to new customers normally comes under the conditions its a like for like package (same speeds etc) and its normally only at the time of sale, i.e. they are not running a better promo for new customers at the same time for the same package. Otherwise I don't see how they could ever run new offers again ever.

Any offer that says we won't offer it cheaper to new customers normally comes under the conditions its a like for like package (same speeds etc) and its normally only at the time of sale, i.e. they are not running a better promo for new customers at the same time for the same package. Otherwise I don't see how they could ever run new offers again ever.
Sadly they were, I have reported it to ASA, they made a commitments few years back when Dido Harding was CEO, that all existing customers would be offered same deals as new customers; this would obv to ensure that any existing customer base would extend their contracts. To be fair I have taken them to task many times over 6 yrs and they always came to some compromise that worked for both. Now, it seems, there is no room for that; plus the atrocious customer service, bad before, now worse, check the OfCom tables. TT have clearly jumped onto FTTP too soon for themto deal with; they can't provide a telephone service, yet the other providers in my area can, and they can provide faster speeds. The fact that even the tech team, sales, and TT in general, do not even seem to know which FTTP a customer is connected to says it all. I am with TT and CityFibre is the the network(in my area that provides FTTP), despite TT customer service telling me it's OpenReach, who incidentally I contacted; and they told me they have no FTTP enabled in my area, they only have FTTC, which I had via TT.

Last edited:
TT have clearly jumped onto FTTP too soon for themto deal with; they can't provide a telephone service, yet the other providers in my area can, and they can provide faster speeds. The fact that even the tech team, sales, and TT in general, do not even seem to know which FTTP a customer is connected to says it all. I am with TT and CityFibre is the the network(in my area that provides FTTP), despite TT customer service telling me it's OpenReach, who incidentally I contacted; and they told me they have no FTTP enabled in my area, they only have FTTC, which I had via TT.
1. TT are currently running VOIP trials on FTTP, it should be rolled out officially sometime next year. But its not the end of the world being on a data only FTTP service, as you can use the likes of Sipgate, Vonage etc to get a VOIP landline. Using an external voip provider also means you can use it on any third party router on TT, because TT's VOIP service will almost certainly only work on TT's own router.

2. Even if TT correctly told you that you're on Cityfibre's FTTP platform, that doesn't mean they will allow you to leave your contract penalty free. From a contractual viewpoint, TT have done nothing wrong - they're supplying you with a service at a price you agreed with them. The fact that you're now regretting your decision is not their problem. You should have walked away when you had the chance.

Sponsored Links
Sadly they were, I have reported it to ASA, they made a commitments few years back when Dido Harding was CEO, that all existing customers would be offered same deals as new customers; this would obv to ensure that any existing customer base would extend their contracts. To be fair I have taken them to task many times over 6 yrs and they always came to some compromise that worked for both. Now, it seems, there is no room for that; plus the atrocious customer service, bad before, now worse, check the OfCom tables. TT have clearly jumped onto FTTP too soon for themto deal with; they can't provide a telephone service, yet the other providers in my area can, and they can provide faster speeds. The fact that even the tech team, sales, and TT in general, do not even seem to know which FTTP a customer is connected to says it all. I am with TT and CityFibre is the the network(in my area that provides FTTP), despite TT customer service telling me it's OpenReach, who incidentally I contacted; and they told me they have no FTTP enabled in my area, they only have FTTC, which I had via TT.
Surely if you thought their FTTP service was so deficient and terribly atrocious, and not having a fixed line option, beforehand, then why then did you enter into a new 18 month agreement with TT?

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules