Sponsored

Talk Talk account closed a month too early

Zandi

While we generally did not have many problems with TalkTalk (aside from the relatively infrequent outages), we were really let down by their customer support.

When trying to cancel the Broadband (moving houses), we asked them to cancel it on April 21st, and it was (as you can guess) cancelled yesterday.

We called them again, and were told the account is closed and cannot be reactivated.

We were thinking of using TalkTalk in our new house, but I think we'll be looking into alternatives instead.

I imagine their support was right, and nothing can be done, so this is more of a venting thread, but if anyone has any advice what we can do, to not be left internetless for a month, it would be greatly appreciated.

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Hi,

You might be best getting a wireless dongle as ADSL for 1 month would be too costly now.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Did you ask specifically to cancel the service? Most LLU ISPs have special provisions for house moving so a cancellation might cause more trouble than it's worth. In any case that's besides the point.

As always it's best to get these things confirmed in writting, an email is preferable. After making any request over the phone I always email my ISP to request confirmation if they don't do so automatically. This is useful as evidence for if ever your provider makes a mistake. I'd also check to make sure that they haven't over charged you as a result of the early cancellation, TalkTalk has a history of admin and billing blunders so be careful.

As for your solution, well that's a tough one. If you only have one month before the move then there's not much point in getting another fixed line ISP as it would take a week or two for the connection and then you could be hit with more costs and problems a month down the road. How about finding out which mobile operator has good coverage of your area and getting a temporary Mobile Broadband connection?

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/articles/09_Improve_Mobile_Broadband_Performance_Tips/

Agrajag

ULTIMATE Member
As Kits said, a wireless dongle might be your best course of action until you are reconnected, that's what I had to do when I moved.

I spent quite some time weighing up the various options and found T-Mobile (the £19.99 model from Argos) to be best for my needs. I now live about half a mile from one of their towers.

It doesn't come with any credit, but it does have pretty flexible top-up options (£2 per day, £7 per week, £15 per month), and their fair use policy isn't too bad compared to other operators.

If you go over the limit they don't just cut you off or charge you extra, all they do is restrict access to videos and file downloads, leaving normal browsing and email pretty much unaffected for the remainder of your purchased time.

While every other video was restricted after I went over the limit, Youtube still worked fine. ;)

The only bad point is the "parental control" restrictions, which are on by default and have to be disabled if you want to access sites such as the National Lottery and certain social networking sites. To do this you either need to enter your credit card details to prove you are over 18, or pop in to a T-Mobile shop with some ID.

Zandi

Thank you very much, everyone, for the suggestions.

I'll definitely be more prudent in the future, I just had no idea something like this could happen, guess will demand everything in writing from now on:)

And will look into a dongle to tide me over.

Thanks again and keep on the good fight.

Hi Zandi,

I am very sorry to hear we have caused you problems. I am surprised that you weren't referred to our home mover team. If you register on TalkTalkMembers.com we can take a look into this for you.

Ady

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £19.95 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: HYPER20
  • NOW TV £22.00 (*40.00)
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £22.95
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2690)
  2. FTTP (2528)
  3. FTTC (1738)
  4. Building Digital UK (1677)
  5. Politics (1571)
  6. Openreach (1537)
  7. Business (1352)
  8. FTTH (1274)
  9. Statistics (1186)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1154)
  11. Fibre Optic (1033)
  12. 4G (997)
  13. Wireless Internet (984)
  14. Ofcom Regulation (983)
  15. Virgin Media (959)
  16. EE (664)
  17. Sky Broadband (648)
  18. TalkTalk (631)
  19. Vodafone (623)
  20. 5G (457)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules