Sponsored Links

temporary setup: phone hotspot->access point>router->wifi | help needed

markmarkmark

Casual Member
Hi there,
I am trying to set up a simply basic 4G/5G broadband connection in my new house:
here's what i want(ed) to do:

- use a phone with unlimited data SIM for the data via hotspot
- connect a tp-link extender to the phone's hotspot
- connect a vodafone THG3000 router via ethernet cable from tp-link (WAN)
- THG3000 then provides LAN/WIFI for the house

the chain works fine apart from the most crucial part: the router receiving internet data from the tp-link extender - this fails with 'no IPv4' error on the router. (the extender itself does provide the data at a reasonably high speed when connecting directly to a laptop, so the issue is not with the tp-link)

my workaround will be to add in a cheap router with WDS (GL.iNet GL-AR300M16-Ext Portable Travel Router) before connecting the THG3000, but I would love to find a fix for my issues with the 'no IPv4' error.

Anyone have a solution?
thank you

(note: in the long run i might get a proper 5g router, but temporarily I will need to use a phone hotspot)

Does the THG3000 have a WAN switch-port and is that where you are connecting the tp-link extender? How is the THG3000 WAN configured?

Does the THG3000 have a WAN switch-port and is that where you are connecting the tp-link extender? How is the THG3000 WAN configured?

yes, it does have a WAN input connection, and that's where I am connecting the extender.
I need to check if i can find out anything about the configuration...

Sponsored Links
If the laptop receives an IP address by DHCP, I would have assumed the THG3000 would also receive an IP address on its WAN by DHCP (client/automatic).

maybe it is the Firewall? it is set to ON

i just checked the settings (not sure what they all mean):

- i can set public subnet IPv4 settings (CPE IPv4 address etc) - nothing set
- i can do IPv4 port mapping (static and dynamic) - nothing set
- i can do IPv6 settings
- i can do Static NAT/DMZ/Exposed Host (which sets public and local IPv4 addresses, and is labelled as a security risk) - nothing set
- then there is DNS (set to automatic) and DDNS
- and funny enough it also has a mobile data tab, but no idea where that would come from. maybe a usb dongle

no mention of a specific WAN configuration

If the THG3000 WAN cannot be configured, a browse of a YouTube video suggests the "Local Network" page might give an option to disable DHCP so the tp-link could be connected to the THG3000 LAN to bridge the tp-link LAN and use the THG3000 as a dumb switch and wireless access point.

I would highly recommend to note the THG3000 LAN IP address and subnet as there is a risk of loss of access if DHCP server were to be disabled. You would also need to know how to configure a static IP on the laptop and be prepared to factory-reset the router in the event of something going wrong.

Sponsored Links
haha, I did factory resets on the router a few times already :)

what you describe is exactly what I am/was planning to do.

Actually, my mistake might be that I thought I need to connect the tp-link as WAN into the router, but in fact it might have to be a LAN connection?

can i ask where I can find the THG3000 LAN IP address?

ok, all sorted.
4G/5G phone is tethered to a small travel router -> travel router is LAN wired to an old THG3000 router (with switched off DHCP) -> THG3000 provides internet via Wifi or potentially LAN as access point

what doesn't work is running a guest Wifi network. I can set it up, but it wont get internet.

@markmarkmark

Depending on how long you need this solution for the following Draytek article might be worth a read:

Some of the listed models can be cheap second hand and there is a reasonably stable market so you could always sell again when the need passes.

thanks those look interesting! if i hadn't gotten the THG3000 already, i would have bought one of those. would have helped with the phone connecting.

I am quite happy with my current tethered setup rather than wifi, since i think it will be less straining to the phone's battery.

the only slightly disappointing thing is that a guest network can not be set up right now. no idea what's the reason exactly. i was hoping to keep all my IoT devices separate from our daily use network.

Sponsored Links
thanks those look interesting! if i hadn't gotten the THG3000 already, i would have bought one of those. would have helped with the phone connecting.

I am quite happy with my current tethered setup rather than wifi, since i think it will be less straining to the phone's battery.

the only slightly disappointing thing is that a guest network can not be set up right now. no idea what's the reason exactly. i was hoping to keep all my IoT devices separate from our daily use network.
Presumably, the guest WiFi functionality is on the THG3000 which expects to route out of its WAN. It sounds like the WAN could not be correctly configured to make the mobile its gateway via the TP-Link and therefore that guest WiFi functionality is not available.

Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • UtilityWarehouse £19.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • NOW £24.00
    Speed 63Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £24.00
    Speed 73 - 82Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £24.99
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Zzoomm £19.95
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • YouFibre £19.99
  • Community Fibre £20.00
  • BeFibre £21.00
    Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Sponsored Links
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5388)
  2. BT (3490)
  3. Politics (2494)
  4. Openreach (2275)
  5. Business (2222)
  6. Building Digital UK (2215)
  7. FTTC (2038)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1940)
  9. Statistics (1763)
  10. 4G (1639)
  11. Virgin Media (1591)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1438)
  13. FTTH (1379)
  14. Wireless Internet (1378)
  15. Fibre Optic (1376)
  16. 5G (1215)
  17. Vodafone (1126)
  18. EE (1111)
  19. TalkTalk (927)
  20. O2 (916)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules