Sponsored

Tesco BB problem- tech support line USELESS!!!!

koksy

Pro Member
I am using tesco.net broadband with the Thomson Speedtouch 330 modem connected into the back of my pc thru the USB port. PC is P4 3.2Ghz 512mb ram, windows XP. Usually i get a 576k connection.

I was online this morning, and all of a sudden I got disconnected. Unable to get back online as I get the message "ERROR 0680- there is no dial tone". The modem says PPP disconnected. The right hand green light is flashing on the modem, the left one is on steady. Still can't reconnect this evening. I have also noticed that when I pick up teh phone I can hear the white noise and bleeps etc of the modem down the telephone line. Disocnnecting the modem makes this go away.

I have:

- restarted my pc
- uninstalled and reinstalled the modem software and restarted pc again
- run DR speedtouch which says theres no problem with the modem
- checked passwords etc
-tried other usb ports on my pc to plug the modem in
- borrowed 2 filters from my neighbour that I know work ok (one for phone and one for PC)
- tried plugging into the master socket
- used different cables (i had spares)

Spoke to tesco.net who were completely useless and said I must have a virus or spy software in my pc which I knew was rubbish. Have done a scan with up to date avg, and ad-aware and nothing found.

The same thing happened a month ago, but it was just before I went on hols for 2 weeks. Came back to find it still didnt work then all of a sudden it started working again a few days later. A fault was raised with BT before I left but as I was away they couldn't come round to check it out. BT say they never did anything to sort it last time.

HELP ME PLEASE BEFORE I GO MAD!!!!!

ADSLSTU

OMG a Virus that makes Noise on a telephone line :laugh: what planet do these tech guys live on :shrug:

I would phone BT and get them to do a line check, if that comes up clean it might be worth seeing if your neighbour will let you try their ADSL modem, just in case.

nellie

Pro Member
What do you expect you are dealing with NTL and they have their reputation to live down to. Get a resonable ISP preferably using "IP Stream" --it really aint difficult

cashpot

Casual Member
Probably not Tesco's fault

Whilst it is easy to blame Tesco and get onto their "support line" I'm afraid that a read of the internet will reveal that the right hand green light flashing means that the modem cannot synchronise with the local exchange.

Remember at this stage your modem has no idea if it is connected with BT, Tesco or even NDO, it is simply trying to lock to the local exchange.

Therefore you will have to look at firstly your home installation (is your Sky box plugged in? Do you have a dodgy phone? Are your filters ok?) Are you on a home installed extension (if so plug the modem into the main socket moving the computer if necessary). Has the cat pulled the lead out just a bit?

If you still can't sync then by all means try the neighbours modem (I have £10 spare just in case of this sort of thing). remember adsl modems hate line spikes which kill them easier than winmodems!

Then get the line checked by BT or whoever.

I have little doubt that there are unreliable ISP's out there some so bad that they shouldn't be in business, but it helps to make some home checks first.

Gandalf

they don't know what POTS stand for (plain old telephone system) I've snitched to trading standards...

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £22.45 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2509)
  2. FTTP (2194)
  3. FTTC (1657)
  4. Building Digital UK (1604)
  5. Politics (1423)
  6. Openreach (1417)
  7. Business (1237)
  8. Statistics (1097)
  9. FTTH (1071)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1036)
  11. Fibre Optic (967)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (915)
  13. Wireless Internet (906)
  14. 4G (898)
  15. Virgin Media (856)
  16. Sky Broadband (595)
  17. EE (591)
  18. TalkTalk (578)
  19. Vodafone (517)
  20. Security (411)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules