Sponsored

Testing/Discussion: Vodafone 5G & 4G - Inc. Voxi, Lebara

jbennett360

Pro Member
Had a trip through to Scarborough non the train yesterday and it was basically patchy 4G and then H+ for the majority of the way.

Few spots were there was no signal but they where few and far between.

Did a speed test at Scarborough train station and it gave a whopping 1mb up and down, everything loaded fine though and there didn't seem to be any major data issues, so maybe a weird speedtest result?

Patchy signal throughout the town/seafront too really. EE was/is just as bad here. VF was a little better indoors then a I remember EE being but still a few places where you'd need to be outside to get anything to properly work.

Think the majority of it is B20 up there with the odd B1 thrown in on 2/3 places.

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
Had a trip through to Scarborough non the train yesterday and it was basically patchy 4G and then H+ for the majority of the way.

Few spots were there was no signal but they where few and far between.

Did a speed test at Scarborough train station and it gave a whopping 1mb up and down, everything loaded fine though and there didn't seem to be any major data issues, so maybe a weird speedtest result?

Patchy signal throughout the town/seafront too really. EE was/is just as bad here. VF was a little better indoors then a I remember EE being but still a few places where you'd need to be outside to get anything to properly work.

Think the majority of it is B20 up there with the odd B1 thrown in on 2/3 places.
Haha, I was In Scarborough a week ago, went on the train. I had the iPhone 12 with me and got 5G going through york, about 200meg (on 3) down. The train station mast was very slow for me too, a high density of user. Also had my sky SIM with me and that was shocking.

IMG_20210830_123029.jpg

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
Good Evening folks, so I wondered something this afternoon regarding the split of O2 and Vodafone on masts/sites.

It recently come to my attention that O2 intend to return their own panels and presumably radios to a rooftop mast site which is hosted by VF.

The site currenty features 3 sectors (3x 2/3/4G Panels and 3xMaMiMo for VF, O2's intent is to install there own (3x 2/3/4G panels and 'maybe' 5G panels (would need to confirm the 5G though.

Presumably by doing this they will also be setting up their own radios as they're like to be broadcast Band 40 at 2x20Mhz (MaMiMo) even though the existing VF setup does have singular band 40 broadcasting currently.

So with all the ports that will start freeing up on Vodafone panels and radio equipment, I was wondering how easy the process of making existing bands better by adding 4x4 layers where 2x2 is only used currently or am I wrong in thinking this needs additional antennea ports.

If what I'm thinking is right and the split can allow Vodafone to get more out of existing equipment then this is surely a win win for the users of the network.

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
It’s about time Vodafone freed it’s self from the horrible company that is O2. They’ve hindered them in many parts of the country and if O2 were taken out the picture, Vodafone would be a winner for sure.

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
It’s about time Vodafone freed it’s self from the horrible company that is O2. They’ve hindered them in many parts of the country and if O2 were taken out the picture, Vodafone would be a winner for sure.
For sure but I think it will be a long time before we see a total separation to be honest and in O2 Host zones I couldn't see much of a transition happening very quickly.

Of course both are in the progress so least its moving forward.

jbennett360

Pro Member
For sure but I think it will be a long time before we see a total separation to be honest and in O2 Host zones I couldn't see much of a transition happening very quickly.

Of course both are in the progress so least its moving forward.
Think major Cities in the O2 host zone should be okay over the next 12-18 months in terms of the split, but the smaller towns and rural areas could be a while longer?

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
Think major Cities in the O2 host zone should be okay over the next 12-18 months in terms of the split, but the smaller towns and rural areas could be a while longer?
It depends on the contractors being available really.... I noticed WHP Telecoms are handling work for all the operators now, so I can see teams getting stretches thin.

But as you say smaller communities are likely to take much longer to unravel.

I'll try keep an eye on network happenings, but getting busier and soon to be moving closer to work which will cut out commute and mean I'll see less.

The Wee Bear

ULTIMATE Member
It depends on the contractors being available really.... I noticed WHP Telecoms are handling work for all the operators now, so I can see teams getting stretches thin.

I'll try keep an eye on network happenings, but getting busier and soon to be moving closer to work which will cut out commute and mean I'll see less.
Screenshot_20210901-092024_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

That's who seem to be doing my three pole of wonder JP, hope they aren't a bunch of slackers and get the job done quickly, I'm not getting any younger. 😊

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
View attachment 1469

That's who seem to be doing my three pole of wonder JP, hope they aren't a bunch of slackers and get the job done quickly, I'm not getting any younger. 😊
To be honest I've seen them get things up pretty quickly, but they still aren't active.

I think Openreach are one of the reasons for this where they're doing the fibre.

However there could also be radio shortage of sorts, and cabinets could be sitting empty.

jbennett360

Pro Member

Clarke telecom have also been doing stuff for VF here.

I say this as the majority of the VF masts in my area apparently have issues, according to the status page. 15+?

Jeez. haha

CarlO1460

ULTIMATE Member
Bit annoying I ordered a new sim, but now can’t take the 50% off offer, and now have to go ahead and order another sim just to use the offer. Seems a bit backwards considering they can see I’ve not yet purchased anything. Tried the live chat but after 45 mins the queue didn’t go nowhere and Twitter hasn’t responded

CarlO1460

ULTIMATE Member
Went for a walk earlier and decided to do a little bit of testing whilst I was out.

Managed to get this from one of the newer 5G masts around here, beat everything I've had so far.

Good to see EE has competition around here now.
Nice! Where is this? Vodafone/lebara/voxi?

zakir1988

ULTIMATE Member
Screenshot_20211015_162337_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg
IMG-20211015-WA0008.jpg
I am connecting to this Vodafone mast as mentioned before I want to test it using B535 which I will get from my parents house to test and give the Three 5G broadband to them

As my wife is using Vodafone on her p40 lite singal still not great its up and down sometimes get full bars I know what the issue is as @JitteryPinger got inside info for me.

Some parts of CellMapper app works on p40 lite but cant view map only thats the downside

Do I leave it on Auto or Change the Bands on using HuaCtrl to get the best possible speeds at my post code E3 5LW

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Vodafone £19.50 (*22.50)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • NOW £20.00 (*32.00)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*25.00)
    Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: HYPERFALL21
  • Shell Energy £21.99 (*30.99)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.00 (*38.20)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £70 Reward Card
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £24.00 (*49.00)
    Speed: 300Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £24.00 (*27.00)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Community Fibre £25.00 (*27.50)
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £25.00 (*35.00)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: HYPERFALL21
  • Virgin Media £28.00 (*52.00)
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (3570)
  2. BT (3024)
  3. Politics (1943)
  4. Building Digital UK (1929)
  5. FTTC (1888)
  6. Openreach (1838)
  7. Business (1694)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1480)
  9. Statistics (1410)
  10. FTTH (1365)
  11. 4G (1278)
  12. Fibre Optic (1176)
  13. Virgin Media (1174)
  14. Wireless Internet (1163)
  15. Ofcom Regulation (1150)
  16. Vodafone (847)
  17. EE (837)
  18. 5G (772)
  19. TalkTalk (770)
  20. Sky Broadband (748)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules