Sponsored

Testing/Discussion: Vodafone 5G & 4G - Inc. Voxi, Lebara

zakir1988

ULTIMATE Member
The screenshot says its was band 8, it will only be as good as Band 20 to be fair though would be slighly weaker.
Thanks for telling me that speeds are not good tho still Vodafone are trying there best as possible as I think what happened is they are finding it hard to find a good spot to put a new mast up and negotiate with the owners etc...

Yes its Band 8 from the screenshot I took didnt check properly

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
Thanks for telling me that speeds are not good tho still Vodafone are trying there best as possible as I think what happened is they are finding it hard to find a good spot to put a new mast up and negotiate with the owners etc...

Yes its Band 8 from the screenshot I took didnt check properly
What speeds are you experiancing? an issue could be a lack of aggregation with others bands?

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
To be honest I wouldn’t be expecting much more in cities…..

To be honest at the rate cities are now increasing in population due to to various reasons including job seekers and students its becoming impossible for networks to keep capacity free for large speeds.

I recent,y wrote about issues with networks that are 5G enabled and barely functioning and this is due to large usage by workers and students 8n those areas, but also in those areas there is mass building and renovations of office blocks and apartment buildings with Birminghams newest and tallest building yet to be finished and likely to bring 1000s of new users to the area.

the winning networks will be the ones can keep traffic flowing for a usable experience but the expectation of hundreds of megabits to be available at a moments notice is pretty much not going to happen, even with 5G in play….

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
I'm starting to notice some things about the splitting of VF and O2 at mast sites.

Around me I've noticed Vodafone have been upgrading some masts out in rural and highway areas to include band 8 however in the process these sites generally get new ERS kit and panels.

This is where O2 then seem to get either left with the old kit or seemingly even put on to separate new kit.

I'll follow up with an example of this.

zakir1988

ULTIMATE Member
My set up at my parents house b535 and using ws5200-21 as an wifi extender.
Screenshot_20211017_112046_com.huawei.smarthome.jpg
Im getting stable speeds which has is consistent between 40mbps to over 60mbps no drop in speeds

jbennett360

Pro Member
I'm starting to notice some things about the splitting of VF and O2 at mast sites.

Around me I've noticed Vodafone have been upgrading some masts out in rural and highway areas to include band 8 however in the process these sites generally get new ERS kit and panels.

This is where O2 then seem to get either left with the old kit or seemingly even put on to separate new kit.

I'll follow up with an example of this.

I've noticed the addition of band 7 too in some places where it was previously 1,20.

O2 are due back at some of the old equipment here too, not sure what they're doing with it. That's one to keep an eye on.

Looking forward to the example!

zakir1988

ULTIMATE Member
I have spoken to Vodafone today they have told me my area they are doing maintenance and further checks reveal they are putting new equipment in which should rectify the signal and speeds issues in the area.

They recently added Band 8 lets see what happens.

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
I have spoken to Vodafone today they have told me my area they are doing maintenance and further checks reveal they are putting new equipment in which should rectify the signal and speeds issues in the area.

They recently added Band 8 lets see what happens.

I'm going to be honest with you 'again' matey, you didn't speak to Vodafone, you've spoken to a representative who gets hours/pay based on good feedback and keeping customers 'somewhat happy' if that means he can tell a little white lie or just be a biut more enthusiastic about potential things that 'could' happen then thats what pays there bills right.

The likelihood is that the upgrades are done for now and they are working just as they are supposed too, even if a notice comes up saying maintenance it don't mean anything is physically happening to the network or even remotely being managed on a particular mast.

During the time I've been monitoring Vodafone this year I've had maintenance flags come up repeatedly on my local mast, but its normally due to a mast in the locality having issues or being maintained which 'might have an impact on other masts' so they like to just throught notices up on all masts in the vacinity.

When I spoke to my guy in the smoke with Vodafone he pretty much confirmed that the many times these notices appeared on my main mast it was actually nothing more than a systematic thing that came on for any number of reasons.

The changes happening with networks now such as the implentation of Band 8 and 28 and 40 are not going to bring much of speed boost to most users due to device compatibility (ie. devices may support the band but will most likely not support the CA -carrier aggregation- with existing/other bands like 20/1/3/7.

Newer devices and software updates (on devices like iPhones) will/could bring better compatibility but that will also depend on device manaufacturers configurations in the baseband/bootloaders.

An exmaple of this is the new device I've just brought, (Realme 8 5G), the devices features a Dimensity 700 chipset which is fairly versatile, but the Realme phone don't support Band 32 (from Three/VF) where as the Redmi Note 10 5G with the same chipset does support Band 32.

And further still, while this phone can carrier aggregate Band 8 its very limited and doesn't bond with Band 20 and also doesn't bond more than 2CA (with limitation of 2x2 layers) this also goes the same for band 28 (700mhz) which is in use with 3 for 4G.

So the reality with Bands 8 and 28 currently is that they are being introduced to spread traffic around the network to help ease congestion but not to bring increases in speed apart from the ones gained from less spectrum congestion.

It is now getting to a point where the powerhouse/flagship devices (ie. £1000 samsungs and iphones) are now going to start taking the better spot for network support and performance, the reasons for this may not be quite savoury but thats what I'm seeing and predict.

zakir1988

ULTIMATE Member
I'm going to be honest with you 'again' matey, you didn't speak to Vodafone, you've spoken to a representative who gets hours/pay based on good feedback and keeping customers 'somewhat happy' if that means he can tell a little white lie or just be a biut more enthusiastic about potential things that 'could' happen then thats what pays there bills right.

The likelihood is that the upgrades are done for now and they are working just as they are supposed too, even if a notice comes up saying maintenance it don't mean anything is physically happening to the network or even remotely being managed on a particular mast.

During the time I've been monitoring Vodafone this year I've had maintenance flags come up repeatedly on my local mast, but its normally due to a mast in the locality having issues or being maintained which 'might have an impact on other masts' so they like to just throught notices up on all masts in the vacinity.

When I spoke to my guy in the smoke with Vodafone he pretty much confirmed that the many times these notices appeared on my main mast it was actually nothing more than a systematic thing that came on for any number of reasons.

The changes happening with networks now such as the implentation of Band 8 and 28 and 40 are not going to bring much of speed boost to most users due to device compatibility (ie. devices may support the band but will most likely not support the CA -carrier aggregation- with existing/other bands like 20/1/3/7.

Newer devices and software updates (on devices like iPhones) will/could bring better compatibility but that will also depend on device manaufacturers configurations in the baseband/bootloaders.

An exmaple of this is the new device I've just brought, (Realme 8 5G), the devices features a Dimensity 700 chipset which is fairly versatile, but the Realme phone don't support Band 32 (from Three/VF) where as the Redmi Note 10 5G with the same chipset does support Band 32.

And further still, while this phone can carrier aggregate Band 8 its very limited and doesn't bond with Band 20 and also doesn't bond more than 2CA (with limitation of 2x2 layers) this also goes the same for band 28 (700mhz) which is in use with 3 for 4G.

So the reality with Bands 8 and 28 currently is that they are being introduced to spread traffic around the network to help ease congestion but not to bring increases in speed apart from the ones gained from less spectrum congestion.

It is now getting to a point where the powerhouse/flagship devices (ie. £1000 samsungs and iphones) are now going to start taking the better spot for network support and performance, the reasons for this may not be quite savoury but thats what I'm seeing and predict.
Thanks for the info they just follow what the system says on there side like you said to keep customers happy.

02, Three and EE all the same.

That's why we have cellmapper being the main one to the rescue all the stats collected we know what band we are connected to and mast.

There are others such as network signal info, netmonster etc..

I wont believe any network what customer service say just will follow stats what my smartphone or device is getting using apps.

I did get Three network to admit my mast has problems they did say there is problems it has reached its full capacity only talking to the complaints team i found out.

You know when there is a problem not device or sim problem which they say to troubleshoot first then you say its not sim or device problem they just follow protocols.

CarlO1460

ULTIMATE Member
Thanks for the info they just follow what the system says on there side like you said to keep customers happy.

02, Three and EE all the same.

That's why we have cellmapper being the main one to the rescue all the stats collected we know what band we are connected to and mast.

There are others such as network signal info, netmonster etc..

I wont believe any network what customer service say just will follow stats what my smartphone or device is getting using apps.

I did get Three network to admit my mast has problems they did say there is problems it has reached its full capacity only talking to the complaints team i found out.

You know when there is a problem not device or sim problem which they say to troubleshoot first then you say its not sim or device problem they just follow protocols.
O2 are the worst for it, they basically just repeat what the My Network app says 😑 winds me up, but as JP mentioned, they are paid to say it in a positive light.

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
they are paid to say it in a positive light.
Worse to be fair, its a case of customers returning for more information or making a complaint after talking to an advisor, the advisor will likely be bumped down the list for getting more shifts or work.

We living in this society of work from home and disposable workers, like the uber drivers, also driving for bolt, ola and another taxi firm all at once.

Because nobody is valued as an employee anymore and its getting more of a survival game everyday for many people that nobody else matters and whats pays, says.

CarlO1460

ULTIMATE Member
Worse to be fair, its a case of customers returning for more information or making a complaint after talking to an advisor, the advisor will likely be bumped down the list for getting more shifts or work.

We living in this society of work from home and disposable workers, like the uber drivers, also driving for bolt, ola and another taxi firm all at once.

Because nobody is valued as an employee anymore and its getting more of a survival game everyday for many people that nobody else matters and whats pays, says.
I guess in a lightly regulated environment (telecoms) I can agree somewhat, but banking, certainly for us, rather the opposite. We’ve also not done mad recruitment drives, and majority are hired directly by the group with rigorous background checks involved.

Places like O2 outsource to Capita, and looking at their job offerings all over indeed I can’t imagine they’re too picky who they hire provided they can read and type/copy/paste.

Mention any mhz or bands or anything outside the O2 shop, their minds must explode and go to Homer Simpson meltdown mode

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
I do love outsmarting shop employees, their minds must boggle

CarlO1460

ULTIMATE Member
Might go annoy my O2 shop at the weekend and ask about 5G again.

Last time they said they aren’t bothering because it’s a Roman city and wouldn’t get the planning permission. I see their point, but just upgrade the rooftops which is where pretty much all our coverage comes from anyway in Chester city. Either that or the shot tower and water tower.

No poles of wonder in sight.

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
Might go annoy my O2 shop at the weekend and ask about 5G again.

Last time they said they aren’t bothering because it’s a Roman city and wouldn’t get the planning permission. I see their point, but just upgrade the rooftops which is where pretty much all our coverage comes from anyway in Chester city. Either that or the shot tower and water tower.

No poles of wonder in sight.
I wonder how they must feel only being able to use their phones where they work; would be a right p*ss take to me if I was them 😂

CarlO1460

ULTIMATE Member
I wonder how they must feel only being able to use their phones where they work; would be a right p*ss take to me if I was them 😂
To be fair. I was in the centre last weekend and coverage was pretty good and functional so must’ve fixed something somewhere.

Previously, circling the O2 shop was the main place, no VoLTE though, always dropped down if making a call in the area.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Vodafone £19.50 (*22.50)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • NOW £20.00 (*32.00)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*25.00)
    Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: ROKUGIFT
  • TalkTalk £21.00 (*29.95)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £21.99 (*30.99)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Vodafone £23.50 (*26.50)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Gigaclear £24.00 (*49.00)
    Speed: 300Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £25.00 (*35.00)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: ROKUGIFT
  • Community Fibre £27.50 (*32.50)
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: First 6 Months Free
  • Virgin Media £28.00 (*52.00)
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (3671)
  2. BT (3044)
  3. Politics (1975)
  4. Building Digital UK (1945)
  5. FTTC (1897)
  6. Openreach (1862)
  7. Business (1717)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1501)
  9. Statistics (1430)
  10. FTTH (1367)
  11. 4G (1295)
  12. Virgin Media (1197)
  13. Fibre Optic (1184)
  14. Wireless Internet (1176)
  15. Ofcom Regulation (1167)
  16. Vodafone (859)
  17. EE (845)
  18. 5G (792)
  19. TalkTalk (781)
  20. Sky Broadband (757)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules