Sponsored

Testing/Discussion: Vodafone 5G & 4G - Inc. Voxi, Lebara

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
Do the FTTC drop so much
Yeah, at least once a day. Sometimes it can be late at night though. It also changes so one times it could completely loose sync then another time its just renewing its IP address.

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
My service at home from a BT Wholesale provider has been acting up the past week or so, but I don't think its anything on the line thats causing my issue, however I turned to my Vodafone connection as backup and I've got a new bunch of problems occuring there now too.

Internet in the UK going to :poop:, lots of it seems to be stemming from censoring/filtering/snooping.

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
My service at home from a BT Wholesale provider has been acting up the past week or so, but I don't think its anything on the line thats causing my issue, however I turned to my Vodafone connection as backup and I've got a new bunch of problems occuring there now too.

Internet in the UK going to :poop:, lots of it seems to be stemming from censoring/filtering/snooping.
i think its wider than just my house and openreach don't want to rectify the issue and leave it till everyone is on FTTP and claim it didnt happen, like three's strategy to 'fixing' their 4G.

CarlO1460

ULTIMATE Member
Does anyone know if Virgin Mobile (now on vodafone) hits the same speeds and has the same full access? Apologies if I missed it somewhere.

Or does anyone have any good experiences of VM as they have competitive pricing.

Lucian

ULTIMATE Member
Nice speeds on Lebara/Vodafone at Crossrail Roof Gardens, Canary Wharf, London. In excess of 100 Mbps.

However, from Enfield to here on A406 rubbish speeds, 2-3 Mbps.

Attachments

• Image9044183372252516109.jpg
    Image9044183372252516109.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 51

Lucian

ULTIMATE Member
And another one, also Canary Wharf, slightly different place. Close to 300 Mbps. Signal is bouncing real good off those sky scrapers.

This is almost better than EE's 5G at home.

Attachments

• Image8181837476809004715.jpg
    Image8181837476809004715.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 64

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
Took another walk up to the mast with the remainder of what is on my Lebara SIM in my phone, welcome to my world :)
Screenshot_2021-05-09-18-40-16-225_org.zwanoo.android.speedtest.jpg

Buggerlugz

ULTIMATE Member
And another one, also Canary Wharf, slightly different place. Close to 300 Mbps. Signal is bouncing real good off those sky scrapers.

This is almost better than EE's 5G at home.
Almost 300Mbps from 4G+ and they're all at it up-selling poorer performing 5G like it's something direct from the messiah.

I'm thinking we're being lied too here? Do all the carriers take us for fools?

There is so much scope in the existing 4g technology to "easily" provide a consistent 100Mbps for everyone. Surely it'd be cheaper than even bothering with installing new 5G masts and tech, to just provide more spectrum and mast back/front-haul for existing 4g+ connections?

Last edited:

GavinAshford

ULTIMATE Member
Almost 300Mbps from 4G+ and they're all at it up-selling poorer performing 5G like it's something direct from the messiah.

I'm thinking we're being lied too here? Do all the carriers take us for fools?

There is so much scope in the existing 4g technology to "easily" provide a consistent 100Mbps for everyone. Surely it'd be cheaper than even bothering with installing new 5G masts and tech, to just provide more spectrum and mast back/front-haul for existing 4g+ connections?
I'm getting deja-vu (or perhaps groundhog day...) with you Buggerlugz!

If a provider is going to the effort to 'provide more spectrum' (i.e. usually by needing to replacing the basebands/radios at a mast because the current ones in most cases aren't capable) and by upgrading the backhaul then they might as well go the whole hog and deploy something with 5G - which will be better in the long-term in that they don't need to replace it again anytime soon, and the additional expenditure now will give better ROI over the lifetime of the hardware (10+ years) than install some more 4G now and need to replace it again in 3-5years when they desperately need it to go to 5G.

Buggerlugz

ULTIMATE Member
I get that Gavin, but like I said if 5G is going to return slower speeds generally than what some 4G+ masts are currently capable of, what is the point? They wouldn't need to replace 4G if they all kicked out 300Mbps would they? Likewise if 5G isn't going to provide at the very least a consistent 1Gbps (a 10th of what its capable of) why bother with the investment of spectrum and kit, regardless of return?

When the vast majority of masts in the UK (looking at the average nationwide 4G speeds) kick out around a tenth of what they're capable of providing, those 4G+ masts that give 300Mbps obviously have the capacity and backhaul available, whereas everywhere else doesn't.

It's not a coincidence that the average 4g is "superfast" speeds is it?

Remember 1-10Gbps 5G tech specs? We already know that'll never happen with NSA, but we do know exactly what the current gen 4G+ is capable of.

So why don't the carriers put it good use instead of palming us off with the paltry speeds so many of us see day-in-day-out on 4G?

Last edited:

GavinAshford

ULTIMATE Member
I get that Gavin, but like I said if 5G is going to return slower speeds generally than what some 4G+ masts are currently capable of, what is the point? They wouldn't need to replace 4G if they all kicked out 300Mbps would they? Likewise if 5G isn't going to provide at the very least a consistent 1Gbps (a 10th of what its capable of) why bother with the investment of spectrum and kit, regardless of return?
Because 5G is continuing past the point where 4G+ has got to - if, to achieve 300Mbps with 4G its needed to aggregate 4 bands and have 4x4MIMO on a couple of them, then that requires expense, both in terms of radio R&D for the user device and cost of basebands/antennas on the network side, plus there's the power, maintenance, re-configuration etc all needed too, which becomes more expensive (more complex) with more frequencies to juggle.
The reason providers generally deploy so much spectrum is because its needed in a given location due to the population density (or perhaps something like a sporting venue).

4G carriers have a maximum of 20mhz width, so there is somewhat constrained limits of throughput per 4G carrier, whereas 5G has a maximum carrier width of 100mhz (though admittedly only Three own a carrier so big, in n78), which immediately makes more capacity available without needs to aggregate bands/carriers to achieve that, cutting the costs on both sides (UE and Network) - it's not a coincidence that the first 5G devices only support a single, or small number, of bands.

Networks are also built for the many, not the individual. While headline speeds are indeed headline grabbing, Joe Public isn't likely to notice the difference between 10Mbps and 800Mbps for 'normal' mobile device use.
I accept that the forum collective here likely falls outside of what the networks classify as their 'normal' network use demographic, and while we might want more, it's not something we should expect.

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
Today is the day when me and Lebara leave each other. Its the saddest breakup of 2021 you have to agree. I didn't like them and they probably didn't like me either so bye bye Lebara, you were slow and unusable but best value for money.

:)

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
So @Bubblesthefish6 let us know how the new solution works for you.
So far it's been OK. That's really all I can say but we do get the full 30 down 5 up we are supposed to get on it so it's good in that regard. I feel slightly lied to as they told me it would kick in immediately and that I wouldn't notice a drop when in reality you have to wait 2 mins for if the connection comes back up before it actually works. Not too bad though concidering it's unlimited backup internet for £7!

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
Good evening folks, I'm still here just about....

So its back too work with me (sort of) so been a bit busy, also been spending alot of time aware from tech lately for various reasons...

Anyway, I took a quick speedtest on commute this morning, and a new 'personal' record for Vodafone 5G .

3319940733980148-Zy2u1ky1.png

I can confirm this is using the following....

Radio Vendor: Huawei
Band: N78
Cell Bandwidth: 50Mhz
4G Anchor: B7+B1 (20Mhz+15Mhz)

So as listed, nothing new to see here in regards to setup/config, and to be honest being on a high street is pretty impressive, I would suspect better backhaul/capacity at play here compared to other areas.

Thanks for reading.

EDIT: Yes by the way this is the same 5G site tested before above...

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Vodafone £19.50 (*22.50)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • NOW £20.00 (*32.00)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*25.00)
    Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: HYPERFALL21
  • Shell Energy £21.99 (*30.99)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.00 (*38.20)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £70 Reward Card
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £24.00 (*49.00)
    Speed: 300Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £24.00 (*27.00)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Community Fibre £25.00 (*27.50)
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £25.00 (*35.00)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: HYPERFALL21
  • Virgin Media £28.00 (*52.00)
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (3570)
  2. BT (3024)
  3. Politics (1943)
  4. Building Digital UK (1929)
  5. FTTC (1888)
  6. Openreach (1838)
  7. Business (1694)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1480)
  9. Statistics (1410)
  10. FTTH (1365)
  11. 4G (1278)
  12. Fibre Optic (1176)
  13. Virgin Media (1174)
  14. Wireless Internet (1163)
  15. Ofcom Regulation (1150)
  16. Vodafone (847)
  17. EE (837)
  18. 5G (772)
  19. TalkTalk (770)
  20. Sky Broadband (748)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules