Sponsored Links

testing EE 5G with PAYG?

noway103

Hi folks!
I've been using Three 5G Broadband for a while but have been pretty unsatisfied with their performance, mainly due to the fact that their 4G upload speeds are awful and disrupt all my work calls.

I'm considering switching to EE but wanted to test the speeds ahead of buying a 5G modem and buying a monthly subscription with unlimited data (the £41 one).

To test, I've ordered a PAYG sim card with 15gb pack and tried it in my iPhone 12. Despite the map saying I have coverage, it not connecting to 5G. 4G speeds are really good (90mbit up/down) but I'm wondering if it's not connecting to 5G because it's a PAYG sim?

What would you recommend?

Edit: I stand corrected, apparently no 5G for EE payg.

Btw, there are cheaper ways to get EE, one would be a 24month business contract, as it's 27.

For personal contracts I can see £100 cashback on topcashback for simo contract.

Last edited:
Hi folks!
I've been using Three 5G Broadband for a while but have been pretty unsatisfied with their performance, mainly due to the fact that their 4G upload speeds are awful and disrupt all my work calls.

I'm considering switching to EE but wanted to test the speeds ahead of buying a 5G modem and buying a monthly subscription with unlimited data (the £41 one).

To test, I've ordered a PAYG sim card with 15gb pack and tried it in my iPhone 12. Despite the map saying I have coverage, it not connecting to 5G. 4G speeds are really good (90mbit up/down) but I'm wondering if it's not connecting to 5G because it's a PAYG sim?

What would you recommend?
EE don't provide 5G on pay as you go

Sponsored Links

Btw, there are cheaper ways to get EE, one would be a 24month business contract, as it's 27.

For personal contracts I can see £100 cashback on topcashback for simo contract.

£27 ? shows £32 for me. Is that an existing customer discount maybe ?
Tempted to jump ship to EE as my three deal is running out in 3 months but I'm paying three £8 a month right now for unlimited.

The other kicker with EE is their 650GB limit at least on personal contracts. I suppose the business one doesn't have that limit.

EE also have a tethering policy where if you are tethering 12 devices at once they will kick you off or move you onto a buisness plan (Can't remember which one it is lol). The easy way to get round this is to plug another router into the CPE and just use the CPE as a modem. Still a bit if a hastle though.

I don't think they actively enforce this, just like with the download limits. They're there for serious offenders, I reckon.

Sponsored Links
I don't think they actively enforce this, just like with the download limits. They're there for serious offenders, I reckon.
It does say on the BT Mobile website that it's for people who regularly go over this, could be the same for EE?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210213-181433_Edge.jpg
    Screenshot_20210213-181433_Edge.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 187

So would you recommend the Business one to be sure I would have real unlimited data volume, considering I'd be using this for home broadband?

I just discovered that while working from home, my household easily reached 900-1000gb/month of consumption on my Three bills. I guess that might be an issue with EE?

Sponsored Links
I have never used the business contract as I was not aware of it when i signed up.
Business has 1TB "limit".
I am on the personal one, with 650gb limit, but it's fine for me, i have gone over it a few times and nothing bad happened.

I think these terms are more to keep the heavy users out (and on 3's network :> ). The moment they'll enforce them ofcom might want a word for untruthful advertising I guess as 650 most certainly does not equal unlimited.

oh god what have i done. Ordered EE business yesterday, didn't notice the FUP. guess i'll be asking them to cancel it tomorrow, we used over 1TB in Jan on three no problem with the kids being at home all the time now.

I have never used the business contract as I was not aware of it when i signed up.
Business has 1TB "limit".
I am on the personal one, with 650gb limit, but it's fine for me, i have gone over it a few times and nothing bad happened.

I think these terms are more to keep the heavy users out (and on 3's network :> ). The moment they'll enforce them ofcom might want a word for untruthful advertising I guess as 650 most certainly does not equal unlimited.
ok great, so I get often close to 1tb but I guess it's ok if I'm around that level.

My problem is that I'd like to test EE 5G ahead of dropping my Three 5G broadband. What's the best way? Could I subscribe to EE and cancel still within 14 days?

ok great, so I get often close to 1tb but I guess it's ok if I'm around that level.

My problem is that I'd like to test EE 5G ahead of dropping my Three 5G broadband. What's the best way? Could I subscribe to EE and cancel still within 14 days?

you could. but you'll be credit checked.

@dabigm It just means that your only other option is Vodafone if they are good in your area. Stay with three though if they are OK for you because of Voda's pricing.

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules