Sponsored

Testing: EE's 4G/5G

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
Well I hadn't really had much reason to start this topic as I've not reallt seen any of EE's services change over the past few years but low and behold I've finally seen them upgrade a mast in my area.

The mast in question is a Cellnex branded mast that sits on here.

So whats changed, so far I've noticed that the antennas have been changed for Huawei passives however no addition of an MaMIMO radios.

This has seen the addition of Band's 1 and 20 and possibly 7 too but the main additon to this one would be n28 bring 5G although only 10mhz of NSA to the area.

Speeds tests from besides the site show the 5G not performing overly well with it only working with Band 1 currently.

3387587564093475-BGeAvV7d.png

Before the 5G went active on this site however the following speeds where taken during the upgrade.

3387344354167813-Lq4Ustp2.png

I can only hope that configurations are still yet to be complete to get all radios talking properly.

The site prior to these upgrades used to be a B3+B3 site.

The site is also home to B1+3 from Three but based on the planning application and the chosen upgrade I can't immagine Three will be able to do much more here as there is physically no room left on the site for further upgrades unless Three have additonal antennas put up below the EE ones which will cost them coverage for sure.
The location is here.

Further testing will come shortly.

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
So I've noticed something a few times in recent history and was just looking at it again now too...

It would seem that when using my EE sim in my S22 it can in fact lock onto multiple bands from multiple masts at the same time.

For instance I see it pulling 2x B7 and B20 from one mast and 2x B3 from another.... but it seems to be constantly switching around and I've noticed it split the B3 between two masts too.

Does make for EE to be one hell of an interconnected network for sure, but the constant switching does seem to show in testing at my location to be an issue.

However my location is rubbish for most networks and the reason for the switch is being between two masts (neither that give a strongest signal)

I wonder if this is the future move for mobile networks, would certainly make for more reliable connections and load balancing perhaps.

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
So I've noticed something a few times in recent history and was just looking at it again now too...

It would seem that when using my EE sim in my S22 it can in fact lock onto multiple bands from multiple masts at the same time.

For instance I see it pulling 2x B7 and B20 from one mast and 2x B3 from another.... but it seems to be constantly switching around and I've noticed it split the B3 between two masts too.

Does make for EE to be one hell of an interconnected network for sure, but the constant switching does seem to show in testing at my location to be an issue.

However my location is rubbish for most networks and the reason for the switch is being between two masts (neither that give a strongest signal)

I wonder if this is the future move for mobile networks, would certainly make for more reliable connections and load balancing perhaps.
I would test if my S20+ does it too... but I live in an area where they deem it appropriate to have one mast where no other can be received... I write about this in a rather bitchy tone because when said mast goes offline we have nothing else to use and it becomes rather annoying... πŸ™ƒ

jbennett360

Top Member

I use to suffer from this (being in-between two masts) with EE. I'd constantly be bouncing between them, more so depending on where in the house I were too. One wasn't too bad and the other was a bit meh, and you can guess which one it preferred!

jbennett360

Top Member
EE's coverage checker seems to be broken too. Noticed VF's was, checked EE and theirs is too now?

Showing as no 5G available in this area!

jbennett360

Top Member
Took the plunge and I'll be back with EE. Managed to grab a 12 month SIMO deal with them, 25GB for Β£12.

Will be here tomorrow. Let's see what's changed!

jbennett360

Top Member
Well this is a great start...

Having the exact same issue.

Gone to visit the EE site on my home connection and it just says blocked. Mobile data fine.

Excellent. Looks like a 24 hour IP block. Apparently it seems to be happening to quite a lot of people too!

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
anyone else seeing EE as down today, if you call in they advise calls and text outage, but in some places data is also not working.
Yep, been alot of problems since yesterday and today there's no 4G across most of South Birmingham from what I've experienced and the network has no data connection what so ever,

Calls are also dead upon answering

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
All seems OKish here in Yorkshire... but time will tell.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Shell Energy £19.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • NOW £20.00
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £20.00
    Speed 54Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Community Fibre £20.00
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Speed: 158Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £24.00
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £25.00
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (4110)
  2. BT (3149)
  3. Politics (2115)
  4. Building Digital UK (2024)
  5. Openreach (1968)
  6. FTTC (1922)
  7. Business (1831)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1605)
  9. Statistics (1509)
  10. 4G (1378)
  11. FTTH (1371)
  12. Virgin Media (1277)
  13. Ofcom Regulation (1241)
  14. Wireless Internet (1233)
  15. Fibre Optic (1232)
  16. Vodafone (926)
  17. EE (905)
  18. 5G (898)
  19. TalkTalk (821)
  20. Sky Broadband (787)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules