Sponsored

Testing: EEs 4G - MVNOs

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
Hiya everyone, Today me and @JitteryPinger are doing a bit of a Collab on this one.

We are testing To The Moon Mobile's 4G service. They are an EE MVNO if you have never heard of them and they are one of the few EE MVNOs that have access to their 800Mhz (B20) spectrum for long range coverage.

The are a budget offering who also happen to deal cryptocurrencies within their app. They have plans such as 10GB for £10 which is quite a good deal.

I haven't really been out to test them yet, but from the few speedtests I have done indoors, I could never really get above 50Mbps which points to maybe an AMBR Speed cap on their network?

I am shortly going up to the mast to do some testing, we will post our results from the different masts on this thread

Happy reading :)

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
As @Bubblesthefish6 has mentioned, we are going to take on the testing of TTMM and hopefully more EE based MVNO's, I'm yet to receive me sim and may be a month yet before I activate and get some results in.

Anybody else that wants to contribute to this thread and any of the others are encouraged to do so.

I'm currently wrapping up some some testing this week and next on O2's network (using Sky Mobile) and will have some information from this dropping later this evening or tomorrow and also more Vodafone 5G content coming too.

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
Here's the mast i have just been up to test. I am sorry i couldn't get great photos as it was behind a bunch of trees, and the other side points towards a farm.
IMG_20210311_155738.jpg

The speeds were very slow, and confirmed my suspicion that there was speed limiting in place. They were fluctuating wildly too. I was stood in the same place for all three tests.
Screenshot_2021-03-11-16-27-29-108_org.zwanoo.android.speedtest.jpg

I will attach what cellmapper shows in a separate post.

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
This was the cellmaper results and you can find this mast here.

Screenshot_2021-03-11-15-57-58-230_cellmapper.net.cellmapper.jpg

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
Great write up @Bubblesthefish6 so a bit of insight into your device makes me think it might not be capable of Carrier Aggregation hence you only locking onto Band 7 and the upload not being so good, this could also explain the speed topping out but also may not.

The picture of the mast seems to suggest there is 5G available and judging by my findings on coverage checkers I think its EE's though Three does seem to have activated 5G on this one here

Your testing will be useful if you don't have carrier aggregation as this gives insight into the capability of a single bands performance.

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
Great write up @Bubblesthefish6 so a bit of insight into your device makes me think it might not be capable of Carrier Aggregation hence you only locking onto Band 7 and the upload not being so good, this could also explain the speed topping out but also may not.

The picture of the mast seems to suggest there is 5G available and judging by my findings on coverage checkers I think its EE's though Three does seem to have activated 5G on this one here

Your testing will be useful if you don't have carrier aggregation as this gives insight into the capability of a single bands performance.
It is capable of Carrier Agreggation, i get it with 3. It has appeared every so often but for some reason not this time. I get CA all the time with BT Mobile.

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member

Its three only 5G, i have used it and it was awful, at my house at least. It would drastically change between 1-2Mbps to 100Mbps in the space of about 5 minutes.

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
It is capable of Carrier Agreggation, i get it with 3. It has appeared every so often but for some reason not this time. I get CA all the time with BT Mobile.
Hmmm interesting, I wonder if there is limits on the sim then, or if the device has some restrictions to which bands it can aggregate, for instance some devices won't aggregate certain bands such as 3+7 and some network configs may not aggregate 7+3 with BT Mobile it could of been aggregating with band 20 in the lead.

I do get a feeling though that this sim is going to be BS, but maybe that's the negativity coming out.

Just waiting on snail mail I guess.

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
Hmmm interesting, I wonder if there is limits on the sim then, or if the device has some restrictions to which bands it can aggregate, for instance some devices won't aggregate certain bands such as 3+7 and some network configs may not aggregate 7+3 with BT Mobile it could of been aggregating with band 20 in the lead.

I do get a feeling though that this sim is going to be BS, but maybe that's the negativity coming out.

Just waiting on snail mail I guess.
Just stuck my BT SIM in and straight away, carrier aggregation.

dabigm

Top Member
heheh as for the rubbish speeds... well looky how great vodafone are for me ... not even 1 mbit upload :ROFLMAO: cat 20 handset btw.

7127161996.png

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
Could you screenshot CellMapper?
Sorry, it doesn't have any throughput on that sim as it is the sim from my Mini hub. it only connects for like 5 seconds before it is kicked off as BT blacklist it whilst your internet is working

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
heheh as for the rubbish speeds... well looky how great vodafone are for me ... not even 1 mbit upload :ROFLMAO: cat 20 handset btw.

7127161996.png
Yup, EE and their 'We're so great and so fast' yeah luv, vodafones band 20 is faster in both directions than this 🤣🤣🤦‍♀️

dabigm

Top Member
Post here @dabigm, also do you have NSG or CellMapper?
I've got cellmapper yes. I've got NSG too but my phone isn't rooted as it breaks google pay and my santander bank app.

Local mast has B1 and B20 but only a 10MHz slice on each.

When I used to go to my office (Central London) .. voda easily did 150-200mbit that's why I bought it. At home? rubbish. Mast is about 800m from me.

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
I've got cellmapper yes. I've got NSG too but my phone isn't rooted as it breaks google pay and my santander bank app.

Local mast has B1 and B20 but only a 10MHz slice on each.

When I used to go to my office (Central London) .. voda easily did 150-200mbit that's why I bought it. At home? rubbish. Mast is about 800m from me.
Yeah I was seeing that today up north with Vodafone, it seems to be O2's territory :D

Will be posting my finds on Vodafone shortly

dabigm

Top Member
Yeah I was seeing that today up north with Vodafone, it seems to be O2's territory :D

Will be posting my finds on Vodafone shortly

Same story on O2 here. Although the mast is even further away, B20 only and literally both of them are on an A road over a mile away. Terrible throughput. I'll make a post in your voda thread when I can take a walk to the mast and give the best possible speed. But yeah apparently O2 has 5G here I suppose I should test that one too.

Only three and EE have decent 4G speed, and only O2 and three have 5G here. But 10MHz of voda is pretty bad yeah still, I could work with 20mbit down if I needed to , but not even 1mbit upload is shockingly bad.

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
UPDATE: 1 Email to support later about speed caps and this is what they replied with:

Hello Bubbles,

Thank you for contacting us.

Please note regarding our speed limits, as we run on EE network our speed limits are exactly the same as in EE (40 Mbits per second upwards).

Should you have other questions we'll be happy to assist.

Make of it what you will, I think they are trying to imply there are speed restrictions on EE it's self to make it look like they don't have any when in fact they do.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £15.00 (*25.00)
    Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £19.50 (*22.50)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • NOW £20.00 (*32.00)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £21.99 (*30.99)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99 (*38.20)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £65 Reward Card
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*35.00)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £24.00 (*27.00)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Community Fibre £25.00 (*29.50)
    Speed: 300Mbps, Unlimited
  • Gigaclear £26.00 (*54.00)
    Speed: 400Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £27.00 (*51.00)
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (3489)
  2. BT (3006)
  3. Politics (1921)
  4. Building Digital UK (1914)
  5. FTTC (1882)
  6. Openreach (1817)
  7. Business (1671)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1468)
  9. Statistics (1403)
  10. FTTH (1364)
  11. 4G (1270)
  12. Fibre Optic (1164)
  13. Virgin Media (1157)
  14. Wireless Internet (1149)
  15. Ofcom Regulation (1139)
  16. Vodafone (836)
  17. EE (828)
  18. TalkTalk (760)
  19. 5G (758)
  20. Sky Broadband (744)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules