Sponsored

Testing: O2 - L09/L23 & N28/N78

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
Long Overdue: Sky Mobile Review

I promised quite a while back to review my experience with Sky Mobile, but I forgot 'oops'

So I spent only a couple of weeks with Sky Mobile but I got a good first impression and overall can't complain about anything.

Pro's
  • Easy and swift activation process
  • Good Online Account Management Features
  • Spare Data Piggy-bank
  • VoLTE support
  • Unrestricted Data Speeds
  • No Spectrum Limits
  • Easy to change plans up and down
  • 5G Add On (for Sky TV customers)
Con's
  • 12 month contracts (min)
  • Discounts Don't transfer to new plans (if changing)
  • Expensive for Data Hungry users.
  • 5G Add On costs £5 for non Sky TV customers.
Overall the experience with Sky was short and sweet, I predict good service with them for average customers, not ideal for the data hungry but if your a Sky TV/Broadband customer a good deal can be had with moderate usage.

During the short time testing I got good reliable service on the road between South Birmingham and Newcastle Upon Tyne, at some stages having the upper hand over Vodafone.

5G worked well for what was available, but O2's coverage up north for 5G was somewhat limited in capability :( and where I tested in Birmingham also fell slightly short of Vodafone's 5G despite using same network (which was odd) but never the less still saw speeds over 100mbps consistently,

4G performance was also very reliable and seems that O2 has begun to manage its network much better, specially in Northern area's where O2 hosts the CTIL agreement.

Thanks for reading :)

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
*correction made above*
  • O2 & Huawei - I claimed above that O2 didn't use Huawei kit, I've been informed that O2 actually does and this was not the reason for any limitations

• O2 backhaul - I claimed above that O2 may be struggling to enable 5G sites or perform as well as the Vodafone network due to backhaul issues, however in Vodafone Host areas (such as mine) O2 shares equipment and backhaul with Vodafone.
*additional information*

It's been said that O2's 5G will become available on Vodafone 5G sites as it is with Vodafone's 5G being available on O2 hosted 5G sites.

I'm sorry for any confusion this may of caused and ofcourse do not embellish to spread misinformation

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
*correction made above*
  • O2 & Huawei - I claimed above that O2 didn't use Huawei kit, I've been informed that O2 actually does and this was not the reason for any limitations

• O2 backhaul - I claimed above that O2 may be struggling to enable 5G sites or perform as well as the Vodafone network due to backhaul issues, however in Vodafone Host areas (such as mine) O2 shares equipment and backhaul with Vodafone.
*additional information*

It's been said that O2's 5G will become available on Vodafone 5G sites as it is with Vodafone's 5G being available on O2 hosted 5G sites.

I'm sorry for any confusion this may of caused and ofcourse do not embellish to spread misinformation
O2 Use Huawei Kit in this video from Peter (as ever) on their HQ in Slough

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
OK, we got the GiffGaff sim up and running today and I knew of a new mast I needed to map so what did I find.

Well the masts in this area are operated by Vodafone and often fall short in comparison because of that and even with the equipment being swapped over on this mast there is no change for O2 which is still operating on a single Band 20 basis.

3313068500463984-F3AJ5Bek.png

So its worth noting that this used to be an O2 mast but in recent years has become Vodafone's,

I was surprised to see nothing but Band 20 on new equipment but this is how it seems to work for O2 and Vodafone at the moment in most areas.

Thanks for reading.

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
A few speed tests on GiffGaff yesterday and some notes.

Turves Green, Birmingham, B31
3313055188670186-oOium4NQ.png

Grimpits Lane, Bromsgrove, B38
3313071901602930-v94Oujhn.png

Walkers Heath Park, Birmingham, B38
3313075048969555-93WGFiCj.png

Kings Norton Skate Park, Birmingham, B38
3313078675283749-5bW9ESwA.png

So I was limited for data on GiffGaff and I'm hoping to save the last of of it for a 5G test and this is why....

Upon inserting the GG sim into my testing device I noticed an AMBR limit of 100mbps down and 100mbps up being applies, this isn't a surprise of course for an MVNO but I'm curious if it applies to 5G and did I miss that when scanning terms and conditions?

I did plan to switch to GiffGaff for a little bit at the end of the month but honestly with the disadvantage O2 has in my area compared with Vodafone sucks, with 3 new masts being tested and while Vodafone sporting 2-3 bands for CA, O2 is stuck in the slow lane with single 20mhz bands.

Thanks for reading :)

grabaar

Casual Member
Upon inserting the GG sim into my testing device I noticed an AMBR limit of 100mbps down and 100mbps up being applies, this isn't a surprise of course for an MVNO but I'm curious if it applies to 5G and did I miss that when scanning terms and conditions?

I recall reading elsewhere that O2 have a limit of 100mbps on their 4G network so that would be in line with your readings. On the other hand I can confirm that it doesn't apply to 5G as I have been using a GG sim with 5G kit for a couple of months and it's regularly hitting 190-200 mbps via N78.

IMG_4751.gif

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
I recall reading elsewhere that O2 have a limit of 100mbps on their 4G network so that would be in line with your readings. On the other hand I can confirm that it doesn't apply to 5G as I have been using a GG sim with 5G kit for a couple of months and it's regularly hitting 190-200 mbps via N78.
Thanks for this info :)

TTJJ

ULTIMATE Member
Discounts Don't transfer to new plans (if changing)
This may be incorrect.

In my experience whatever discount you have applied to your plan (for example a 25% discount) is applied to your new plan if you chop and change. It generally tells you about this as you progress through the confirmation.

For example if you have a 10 pounds plan and get 25% off making it 7.50, when you initially select a new plan it will say 20 pounds, but when you get to the final confirmation screen it will include your line discount of 25% and take it down to 15.

(sorry, I have a US keyboard and couldn't be bothered copying and pasting the GBP symbol)

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
I might try lycamobile. They use O2 and are a sister company of Lebara, whom I already have 2 sims with. My to the moon mobile sim Is up today so I’ll head down the the local ethnic shop and see if I can get one.

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
In my experience whatever discount you have applied to your plan (for example a 25% discount) is applied to your new plan if you chop and change. It generally tells you about this as you progress through the confirmation.
No in this case.

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
Was this on an unlimited plan?

If think they are a touch to expensive for having AMBR limits in place.
The Always on and Unlimited are slightly different. This is it straight copied and pasted from their website

"If you have an ‘Always On’ allowance, then after 80 GB of data used you'll experience a reduced data speed of 384kbps from 8am to Midnight. You may notice that activities which require high amounts of data, like HD video streaming, will be slower. Traffic Flow applies.

If you have a goodybag with ‘Unlimited’ allowance (including our ‘Unlimited’ golden goodybag) then we’ll monitor the amount of data you're using. If we reasonably believe that your usage is harming our Network or other members’ access or use of our Network then you will breach this Fair Usage Policy. Avoid regularly tethering to 12 or more devices or regularly using unreasonably large amounts of data, including but not limited using around 650GB of data twice within a 6-month period. If we suspect you are in breach of this Fair Usage Policy, we may investigate your usage further to ascertain whether your unlimited data usage is in line with this Fair Usage Policy and take action as set out below."

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
@Bubblesthefish6 - I was aware of that yes.
@Lucian - Fair enough, I don't really use much either, until I'm running tests.

Surprising really that many complain about not being able to received 100's of Mb/s on their mobiles or fixed line connections, but in reality nobody is using this until they run a speed test.

How marketing taketh us for fools.

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
@Bubblesthefish6 - I was aware of that yes.
@Lucian - Fair enough, I don't really use much either, until I'm running tests.

Surprising really that many complain about not being able to received 100's of Mb/s on their mobiles or fixed line connections, but in reality nobody is using this until they run a speed test.

How marketing taketh us for fools.
I think all MVNOs on O2 have these same set of FUPs, Lyca and obviously giffgaff do.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • NOW £20.00
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £21.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £70 Reward Card
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Community Fibre £20.00
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Speed: 158Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £25.00
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £25.00
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (4124)
  2. BT (3154)
  3. Politics (2120)
  4. Building Digital UK (2028)
  5. Openreach (1970)
  6. FTTC (1923)
  7. Business (1836)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1607)
  9. Statistics (1513)
  10. 4G (1380)
  11. FTTH (1371)
  12. Virgin Media (1277)
  13. Ofcom Regulation (1241)
  14. Fibre Optic (1235)
  15. Wireless Internet (1234)
  16. Vodafone (927)
  17. EE (907)
  18. 5G (899)
  19. TalkTalk (821)
  20. Sky Broadband (787)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules