Sponsored

Testing: O2 - L09/L23 & N28/N78

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
Not really, the outcome of that is to be determined yet, the AMBR is still in place.

EE themselves are open about speeds/restrictions.
Ok, i guess the jury is still out on that one. PS i haven't a word from them.

CarlO1460

ULTIMATE Member
To The Moon is capped at 60mbps, EE mast to me is probably less than 500m in a straight line. EE hits 150mbps or more. Great for covered but being an EE mvno there is no chance of 5g or wifi calling any time soon there.

Great O2 review, though here in Chester the speeds pain me.

Band 1 and 20 are fairly useless, I'm in the middle of about 4 masts, the closest doesn't face my way, but if I stand the other side of it I get good speeds 80+.

My main mast is based in the city centre from handbridge, mainly band 1, and then the complete other side of me for band 20 even though both support both bands.

The evenings I can get around 15-30mbps, but from 7.30am until 10p I'm lucky to get 1mbps.

They really need to put some effort in here and relieve the congestion. A mast by the Uni has been out of order for weeks, prior to me moving to O2, so I'm hoping once that gets repaired it relieves the city mast.

Fingers crossed they finally link up some 5g here as only EE is live properly across the city, Three have a patch but in the most ridiculous area and pointing over fields (standard).

I was with Three covered by band 3, 20 and 32 L band. 3ca did not work well at all. Using solely band 20 and band 32 id hit 80mbps all day long, until I head to the city and then its band 3 majority of the time for speeds.

I chose O2 for the benefits of the package, speeds aren't great locally as above, but visiting Hartlepool last weekend gave much better speeds and stability even at the welcome breaks on the way up hitting 100+.

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
GiffGaff Update: So they have a smart **** confusing system when its comes to payments, and basically 'trying' to charge my card after asking them not to.

But simply put, unless you make sure to go into the account and uncheck plan renewal and auto top up too.

I know this is somewhat self explanatory when you think of it, but isn't an option when signing up, the option I got was to not auto charge my card.

So they just lost many points in my book.

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
GiffGaff Update: So they have a smart **** confusing system when its comes to payments, and basically 'trying' to charge my card after asking them not to.

But simply put, unless you make sure to go into the account and uncheck plan renewal and auto top up too.

I know this is somewhat self explanatory when you think of it, but isn't an option when signing up, the option I got was to not auto charge my card.

So they just lost many points in my book.
ASDA's payment system is absolutely horrible and when I switched from them to giffgaff it was the best thing since sliced bread. You have to ring them up, set up a reoccurring payment for the day before your plan is about to renew for the amount it renews for and if your payment doesnt go through, your stuck without mobile for a month. I hope they have improved on this as this was back in 2017 I used them.

CarlO1460

ULTIMATE Member
So, to add to my previous comments and my twitter tweet.

O2 exec complaints office called to basically say they are aware Chester as a whole city is congested, they are aware of it, and it is on the path for a spectrum upgrade but no official date when this may be. Same goes for 5g.

The typically poor response, and as standard, we will let you leave penalty free.

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
Extremely sorry to revive an old thread but we just need to talk about how awful O2 is - even in their host areas. This is on 4G+ On an iPhone 8

B40 on my Redmi Note 9 wasn’t any better either. I’ll add photos of that when I can

CarlO1460

ULTIMATE Member
They’ve had their weetabix here tonight 😂

Attachments

• 149774CE-C5D4-4928-B996-4B5B5870BB58.jpg
    149774CE-C5D4-4928-B996-4B5B5870BB58.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 78

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
They’ve had their weetabix here tonight 😂
No better here even early morning 😞. I put it up against my 3 on my RN9 (iPhone 8 is CAT 12, RN9 is CAT 5) and the three absolutely obliterated in.

Sky, iPhone 8

Three, Redmi Note 9

CarlO1460

ULTIMATE Member
No better here even early morning 😞. I put it up against my 3 on my RN9 (iPhone 8 is CAT 12, RN9 is CAT 5) and the three absolutely obliterated in.

Sky, iPhone 8

Three, Redmi Note 9

Three stealing the show!

Slow2 playing its usual game here today:

Wont

Attachments

• 6759FB0B-CFE3-4FA9-A52C-98871C0A416F.png
    6759FB0B-CFE3-4FA9-A52C-98871C0A416F.png
    130.1 KB · Views: 89

CarlO1460

ULTIMATE Member
Haha, slow2 never changes!

I'm back at home now ad i'm back to below 2Mbps down and below 1 Mbps up.
Feels like they are literally just winging it until 5G is dominant so they don’t actually have to fix or replace anything.

Doesn’t help Chester is limited in their options to groundwork etc.

I need to hurry and clear my phone balance so I can ditch, I’ll miss the free coffee and Greg’s though 😂

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
Feels like they are literally just winging it until 5G is dominant so they don’t actually have to fix or replace anything.

Doesn’t help Chester is limited in their options to groundwork etc.

I need to hurry and clear my phone balance so I can ditch, I’ll miss the free coffee and Greg’s though 😂
Yeah, BT Taking the same route for "fixing" FTTC. Pay it off in full when you can, literally just ask for your PAC code and it'll tell you how much you've to pay.

CarlO1460

ULTIMATE Member
Yeah, BT Taking the same route for "fixing" FTTC. Pay it off in full when you can, literally just ask for your PAC code and it'll tell you how much you've to pay.
Could do without the £900 lump sum at the moment.

It’s a shame can’t just leave and continue the handset only agreement seeing as it is a separate product and separate agreement, with a separate company 😑

Probably stick to smarty when we move to Newcastle or local.

CarlO1460

ULTIMATE Member
Just stumbled across Tribe Mobile:

Unlimited data, wifi calling and 5G access for £18 per month, using the O2 network.

Sounds too good to be true, minus the slow host network.

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
Could do without the £900 lump sum at the moment.

It’s a shame can’t just leave and continue the handset only agreement seeing as it is a separate product and separate agreement, with a separate company 😑

Probably stick to smarty when we move to Newcastle or local.
Oh okay, I wasn’t expecting it to be that much lol. Didn’t realise you had a contract phone.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo code: BIGBANG
  • Shell Energy £20.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • NOW £22.00
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £75 Reward Card
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Community Fibre £17.99
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £24.00
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £25.00
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £25.00
    Speed: 158Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo code: BIGBANG
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (4209)
  2. BT (3182)
  3. Politics (2150)
  4. Building Digital UK (2042)
  5. Openreach (1997)
  6. FTTC (1931)
  7. Business (1867)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1630)
  9. Statistics (1525)
  10. 4G (1398)
  11. FTTH (1372)
  12. Virgin Media (1301)
  13. Ofcom Regulation (1251)
  14. Fibre Optic (1246)
  15. Wireless Internet (1244)
  16. Vodafone (940)
  17. 5G (923)
  18. EE (920)
  19. TalkTalk (832)
  20. Sky Broadband (795)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules