Sponsored

Testing: Three 4G/5G - Inc. Smarty Mobile

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
I’d be interested in seeing this happen, how do you think it could happen? During the assignment stage of the recent auction?

Well normally networks can do deals to sell spectrum, I know EE sold Three what is now their Band 3, O2 has recently brought some spectrum from EE too but not yet seen it in action.

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
I can confirm I've been past 3 new Three 5G setups today that are not yet broadcasting either 4G or 5G....

Actually quite suprised tom see a sudden boost in new mast sites in my area from Three (and only Three),

They don't seem to be working with EE anymore huh?
I've noticed this too, especially with their monopoles. I'm kinda glad of this as EE started to hinder them; as O2 hinders Vodafone and vice versa when it comes to masts etc

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
I've noticed this too, especially with their monopoles. I'm kinda glad of this as EE started to hinder them; as O2 hinders Vodafone and vice versa when it comes to masts etc
I don't know if it was EE or MBNL that might be an issue, if there is an issue at all, I think Three has just decided now its time to take control of their own network.

The issues of EE/3 or VF/O2 are different however as they share infrastructure and not just site locations.

I'll be following Three closely in the coming months to see whats going on.

Another interesting thing I found today is the 5G with Smarty does appear to still be intermittent with it selectively connecting in some places and not others.

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
Smarty 4G and 5G today, an interesting bunch of results and occurrences,

3313951455839619-6nh5yTfI.png
5G from Woodgate Park, weak 5G signals.
3313959775598498-w9MDg2bm.png

5G at Weoley Castle Inn, taken whilst driving,
3313960914084183-TEh4LpDu.png

Finally, 4G at Longfellow Road, Birmingham B31, Band 32 present (5G Location)

On this little venture today I came across 5 Three 5G sites, however 2 although active wouldn't connect with 5G, 1 connected, 2 brand new and not yet broadcasting, and another was further away but connected for 1st test.

Currently Smarty seems to be in the process of enabling 5G on its sims but for some reason only some masts will connect and other will not....

I don't know if this is a factor but the masts that aren't connecting do seem to be MBNL sites where EE and Three's 5G feature, the sites I've managed to connect to are newer/new sites sticker-ed with 3 logo's.

So maybe there's something new going on here? I wonder if Three have decided to take matters into their own hands?

I wonder if I can get someone at Three to share more information....

Thanks for reading :)

heinzbean

Jwhiterz
I had the same dilemma . I could see my town . covered by 3's network coverage map, i didn't want to buy 3s modem just in case i couldn't pick up 5g. So i just went for a cheapo entry level 5g phone . Put a 3 payg sim in...and the rest is history. getting fantastic speeds. argos have got Motorola 5g for £229 and samsung A32 5g £229. peanuts I obviously upgraded to an unlimited sim.........

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
Jwhiterz
I had the same dilemma . I could see my town . covered by 3's network coverage map, i didn't want to buy 3s modem just in case i couldn't pick up 5g. So i just went for a cheapo entry level 5g phone . Put a 3 payg sim in...and the rest is history. getting fantastic speeds. argos have got Motorola 5g for £229 and samsung A32 5g £229. peanuts I obviously upgraded to an unlimited sim.........
Redmi Note 9T, thank me later 😀

Lucian

ULTIMATE Member
Redmi Note 9T, thank me later 😀
It's got a Mediatek chipset. Wonder how performance is, especially compared to the Snapdragon in the Mi 10 Lite. I know certain apps such as Network Guru whuch allow band locking will not work on it.

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
It's got a Mediatek chipset. Wonder how performance is, especially compared to the Snapdragon in the Mi 10 Lite. I know certain apps such as Network Guru whuch allow band locking will not work on it.
It's got good band support so I was thinking just as a tester phone to see if you have 5G, at the moment it's only £139.

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
In my area I can get over 500Mbps down as I said before however I'm in a rural area and the mast is quite close to me

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
JP, why are all the 5G speeds somewhat underwhelming? I mean these are 4G speeds we're seeing right?
The speeds are underwhelming due to being taken at large distances from 5G sites.

I'm not yet actively hunting Smarty 5G and only taking on the off chance of availability showing on my device.

You can see on the results images what results are 5G or 4G.

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
HiSilicon? Huawei has nowt to do with Xiaomi?

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*25.00)
    Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Plusnet £21.95 (*38.20)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Reward Card
  • Vodafone £22.00 (*25.00)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • NOW £23.00 (*32.00)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £23.00 (*29.95)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Community Fibre £25.00 (*29.50)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: First Month Free
  • Hyperoptic £25.00 (*35.00)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Gigaclear £26.00 (*54.00)
    Speed: 400Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £26.00 (*52.00)
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £26.00 (*29.00)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (3398)
  2. BT (2984)
  3. Politics (1891)
  4. Building Digital UK (1889)
  5. FTTC (1872)
  6. Openreach (1796)
  7. Business (1641)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1443)
  9. Statistics (1388)
  10. FTTH (1363)
  11. 4G (1249)
  12. Fibre Optic (1150)
  13. Virgin Media (1139)
  14. Wireless Internet (1135)
  15. Ofcom Regulation (1126)
  16. Vodafone (822)
  17. EE (816)
  18. TalkTalk (750)
  19. 5G (735)
  20. Sky Broadband (731)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules