Sponsored

Testing: Three 4G/5G - Inc. Smarty Mobile

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
Haha

THB

Casual Member
A small contribution from the Rotherham area to add. Tests taken on a OnePlus 8 Pro.

Four tests from Aldwarke Lane, near Asda/KFC. Seems to be consistent packet loss even though the tests were taken on different days. I'm not sure what might cause that.
Aldwarke Lane Speedtests.jpg

This one is from the A631, near Wickersley School. Very good download and ping but poor upload.
Screenshot_20210412-161719.jpg

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
4.5G which is where I'm at 🙃
I would say that 4.5G is about as far as most the world has come yet.

The marketing of 5G is just a selling point, until NR-SA is operating I think we should refer to NR-NSA at 4.5G.

4G 100Mbps - 200Mbps
5G 500Mbps - 1000Mbps

While these speeds are achievable it would appear currently that UK networks are aiming to provide around the 200mbps mark on average for NR-NSA and 4G is variable based on network configs and load.

As I sit right now (at home) about 0.9km straight line from Vodafone NR-NSA mast, I'm getting 190 down 11.94 up, however using 4G (LTE-3CA) I'm getting 170 down and 15 up.

It's worth noting that obviously results are going to vary device to device, and Vodafone in my area has been busy enabling 4x4 on Bands 1 and 7 and also upgrading modulations to 256QAM on all DS bands.

Honestly in the UK we have a very open market when it comes to usage on services, this leads to more freedoms with regards to equipment that can be used, we also have very dense population making use of these networks at one time.....

So expecting to see what countries such the USA have or are achieving with "Actual 5G (NR-SA)" is unlikely to repeat here as a lot of North American populations are widely spread across geography meaning less ratio of customers per mast which allows for better speeds to be achieved.

That being said we need to add the fact that many countries (inc. those in North America) are very restrictive on how and what can be used with them, so manage the network performance 'better', examples of this include but not limited to using Mifi/Routers with phone plan sims, there is bunches of 'fair usage policies' and 'Traffic management' too, not to mention devices that are locked down so cannot be used without verified and approved software with certain networks.

Another words the freedom to use the network how people have chosen too (using it as home broadband with multiple devices) and the allowance of limitless connectivity any place any how will cause slowdowns across the networks.

GavinAshford

ULTIMATE Member
I don't know if everyone realises but 5G SA is likely to be slower than 5G NSA in a given location, due to it not using the 4G bearers to provide additional throughput.
The advantage of 5G SA would should(!) be lower latency though.

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
I don't know if everyone realises but 5G SA is likely to be slower than 5G NSA in a given location, due to it not using the 4G bearers to provide additional throughput.
The advantage of 5G SA would should(!) be lower latency though.
Well said, and part I forgot to mention really.... and something I will test a bit more soon too.

Buggerlugz

ULTIMATE Member
On three I'm still seeing 2Mbps at 6pm and 200Mbps at 2am, so what's achievable is relatively easy, stop overselling your network and provide more mast back haul.

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
On three I'm still seeing 2Mbps at 6pm and 200Mbps at 2am, so what's achievable is relatively easy, stop overselling your network and provide more mast back haul.
I think their is more at play than just overselling the network.

A trend I'm seeing with contention issues with Three is where the issues are occuring on MBNL mast sites.

I can't be sure of this however and know it don't affect all of them, but there is a large variation in performance when going from a MBNL mast to a neighbouring mast that isn't seemingly MBNL.

You would think if backhaul was a problem it would affect all users of the same network in the area but it don't, and I can't really say that area usage is a contributing factor as I've seen areas where there is less mast presence (more users per mast) where performance is satisfactory and then areas with dense coverage (multiple masts/lower user per mast ratio) and the network is near unsable.

A factor to be considered is who/what backhaul providers are in use in certain circustances, I know that a nearby me there is an MBNL mast site that seems to have been fed by BT and only BT, which would be covering both EE and Three, but while EE performs very well, Three is operating in 'limp mode'

My defination of 'limp mode' is 5G/NR operating at only 40mhz CBW (cell bandwdith) and while broadcasting Band's 1/3/20/32 for Three is still suffering with contention issues.

Further up the road their is a newer build 5G setup, seemingly a Three host setup and EE taking longer to add equipment (temporary mast still in place) this mast is a great performer with 1Gb/s+ acheivable and 4G also very fast.

I can confirm that currently in the surrounding areas, Three seems to be busy getting Phase 8's erected without space/support for EE, tese are yet to go live but are in power connection stages and I would guess awaiting backhaul (which I'm going to bet are Virgin Media fed), I've got my eye on one of these and plan to take a visit in the future as the location is streetside and likely to be easy to idenfity properties regarding backhaul provider.

heinzbean

I noticed that most of the servers seem to be stuck at 1Gbs and you can see the speed test struggling to get to 1 Gbs. There's a couple of exceptional servers that just go flat out.

heinzbean

Also for some reason i could get 640Mbps standing in my garden aiming at a block of flats.(equipment on roof). But for some reason from upstairs pointing at the same block of flats. Could just about get 300Mbps.I was scratching my head wondering why. Was thinking is it because i am earthed standing on the grass.Anyhow was thinking of making antennas etc.I thought of picking up an earth of my home wiring, I noticed my radio(mains powered) on the window sill, antenna leaning against the glass pointing towards the block of flats. Anyhow i plonked the phone on top of the radio, touching the antenna. 1st test 646Mbps. That will do for me.......

heinzbean

903Mbps down 85.3Mbps up12 ping 4 jitter Mythic beasts Ltd
924Mbps down 90.7mbps up 13 ping 3 jitter Live-drive internet
903Mbps down 92.7Mbps up 17 ping 3 jitter Community fibre
913Mbps down 84.9mbps up 13 ping 2 jitter Cerberus Networks
1136Mbps down 105Mbps up 12 ping 5 jitter Mythic Beasts Ltd
883Mbps down 98.5Mbps up 13 ping 2 jitter Hyperoptic Limited
1312Mbpsdown 109Mbps up 12 ping 1 jitter Mythic Beasts Ltd
950Mbps down 109Mbps up 12 ping 3 jitter Community Fibre
903Mbps down 109Mbps up 17 ping 6 jitter Redraw Net
1348Mbpsdown 109Mbps up 17 ping 2 jitter Mythic Beasts Ltd
646Mbps down 33.3Mbps up 12 ping 6 jitter Mythic beasts Ltd.On top of radio ???
When i got there i realised i had forgotten my glasses to see the silly little 5g symbol and signal strength meter.dam will have to go again............

Lucian

ULTIMATE Member
I noticed that most of the servers seem to be stuck at 1Gbs and you can see the speed test struggling to get to 1 Gbs. There's a couple of exceptional servers that just go flat out.
Speedtest should be using multi downloads of 4 servers, so even if one host reaches its 1Gbps limit, it should overall still be able to go well above that... In theory. :)

Try using nperf app, too. Choose a uk or french host @ 10 Gbps.

A more interesting way to test is with a torrent download, say of a popular linux dvd with aria2 app... but in this case you might end up benchmarking your storage rather than the network.

heinzbean

lucian
What i have noticed that all these slow downloads have used less than 2Gb 1136 Mbps Test used 1838Mb down and 109 Mb up = 1947 Mb Total
1442Mbps Test used 2427Mb down and 109 Mb up = 2536Mb Total
So i might give Nperf a go......If i can set the data. Probably get some real speed................

heinzbean

Lucian
downloaded nperf. Whats the best settings. noticed there are a few
set the Timer to 60 seconds..?? Seems forever..
different servers listed on this program also...

heinzbean

Went back to same spot... speeds seemed to have dropped drastically ??
Tested Mythic beasts server 711Mbps down 109mbps up.......Slow ???
Tested on ookla speedtest.
Then Tried nperf on 20 second test.

Attachments

• nperf.jpg
    nperf.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 33

heinzbean

So i got slower speeds. but it does not mean that Nperf recorded any slower. Nperf has a completely different server selection. Mythic beasts picks up 646Mbps on my windowsill.........===Mythic-beasts
nperf picked up 413Mbps.on my windowsill==Mauritius 10Gbs
nperf 886.03 Mbps lloyds==Mauritius 10Gbs
nperf 744.37Mbps lloyds==Mauritius 10Gbs
ookla 711Mbps lloyds MythicBeasts =This proves speeds have dropped for some reason.Will go back when i get a good ookla speed i will try the nperf again. The Randomness of 5g

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*25.00)
    Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Plusnet £21.95 (*38.20)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Reward Card
  • Vodafone £22.00 (*25.00)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • NOW £23.00 (*32.00)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £23.00 (*29.95)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Community Fibre £25.00 (*29.50)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: First Month Free
  • Hyperoptic £25.00 (*35.00)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Gigaclear £26.00 (*54.00)
    Speed: 400Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £26.00 (*52.00)
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £26.00 (*29.00)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (3398)
  2. BT (2984)
  3. Politics (1891)
  4. Building Digital UK (1889)
  5. FTTC (1872)
  6. Openreach (1796)
  7. Business (1641)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1443)
  9. Statistics (1388)
  10. FTTH (1363)
  11. 4G (1249)
  12. Fibre Optic (1150)
  13. Virgin Media (1139)
  14. Wireless Internet (1135)
  15. Ofcom Regulation (1126)
  16. Vodafone (822)
  17. EE (816)
  18. TalkTalk (750)
  19. 5G (735)
  20. Sky Broadband (731)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules