Sponsored

Testing: Three 4G/5G - Inc. Smarty Mobile

heinzbean

igNG
646 Mbps is probably the most important speed to me...because thats a real life situation. I can put the phone on my window sill and usb tether.

@TTJJ don’t even concider the 5G router three give you, its awful and doesn’t get the full speed and likes to drop off. Apart from that it seems ok from what I can gauge. Use 1.1.1.1 on the DNS and you should be able to avoid their crap network backbone.

Hey there, sorry to bump an old post but could you clarify what issues you have with the Three router (I presume you're talking about the CPE Pro?). I have a coupe of days left in my cooling off period for Three's 5G home boradband and while I've been happy with the speeds, there have been some weird issues (stretches of jittery ping, drops to 1 MBPS downloads at one point today!) Are you saying that a CPE Pro bought off of Amazon wouldn't have these issues?

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
Hey there, sorry to bump an old post but could you clarify what issues you have with the Three router (I presume you're talking about the CPE Pro?). I have a coupe of days left in my cooling off period for Three's 5G home boradband and while I've been happy with the speeds, there have been some weird issues (stretches of jittery ping, drops to 1 MBPS downloads at one point today!) Are you saying that a CPE Pro bought off of Amazon wouldn't have these issues?
No, a CPE off amazon wouldn't have these issues as it's three's dodgy firmware. The problems I had with it were:
1. Perma locked to three (No, you can't unlock it no matter what, three exhaust the unlock code)
2. Dodgy ethernet controller (possibly firmware) where it wouldn't work with my BT whole home system
3. On the second day of owning it nothing could access the internet as it did a dodgy firmware update overnight which made it unusable.
4. It was always dropping off the connection and busting me down to 4G
5. When on 5G it was only about 100Mbps where i clocked 500 down on my neighbours Pixel 5 (also on 3)

No, a CPE off amazon wouldn't have these issues as it's three's dodgy firmware. The problems I had with it were:
1. Perma locked to three (No, you can't unlock it no matter what, three exhaust the unlock code)
2. Dodgy ethernet controller (possibly firmware) where it wouldn't work with my BT whole home system
3. On the second day of owning it nothing could access the internet as it did a dodgy firmware update overnight which made it unusable.
4. It was always dropping off the connection and busting me down to 4G
5. When on 5G it was only about 100Mbps where i clocked 500 down on my neighbours Pixel 5 (also on 3)
Thanks for the reply. I do seem to have avoided most of these issues so far thankfully, but food for thought.

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
Thanks for the reply. I do seem to have avoided most of these issues so far thankfully, but food for thought.
Good, it was an awful experience for me tho

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
.... and now some LTE (3CA)

Upon arrival at the mast I was still getting very variable speed tests and the BW flicking between 100Mhz and 40Mhz so I dropped down to LTE mode and as I expected Band 32 (SDL) showed up.

View attachment 847

Compared to testing I've done on Band 32 at the East Midlands Designer Outlet where I was able to peak at 110mbps using 4G I was somewhat disappointed in the performance figures but still glad to see the network moving in the right direction.

More to come.... Next back to 5G...
So its been a few months, hows this site looking now....

Today on a commute I took a few speed tests from a local 5G enabled Three/EE MBNL mast located at Longbridge, Birmingham.

I have tested this site many times in the past and found it to be suffering with capacity issues with the 5G cell bandwidth being restricting to 40mhz instead of 100mhz to reflect the bandwdith shortage.

Unfortunately today I was testing via Smarty sim, and today it didn't want to connect to 5G at this location, but 4G was a fairly nice improvement to see and shows some hope of better things coming down the pipeline.

3322242745064707-4lkZy8EF.png

3322277330739226-WqlOMDvf.png

As can be seen these tests where taken some hours apart and show a fairly consistent availability of bandwidth.

I also run a few more tests at the Five Ways area of Birminghams, Broad Street and found the speeds to be fairly respectable for a busy city centre morning too,

3322246136218719-Yv5T9aeI.png

I also ran a test from the platform at Five Ways train station which is two stroreys below street level and fairly restricted for radio waves but still got a pretty decent and relaible service.

3322261938234171-1rnGD0WE.png

I'm actually happy to say that Three bested Vodafone today on my travels with Vodafone only managing to pull off a maximum speed 59.8Mb/s down and 51.2Mb/s up.

TTJJ

ULTIMATE Member
Those indeed are very respectable numbers for Three. Wonder how they’ve managed to pull that off.

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
Those indeed are very respectable numbers for Three. Wonder how they’ve managed to pull that off.
I wonder if they have managed to get handover nodes upgraded or something, noticing some pretty low numbers on latency at the moment too.

Zathan

Casual Member
I have noticed that speeds on 3 in my area are much better this past week, dispite still only having band 3 and 20, its gone from sub 10megabits at peak time, to speeds in the 30-50mbps range, i thought i would have to wait for additional band support to see any improvments but im not complaining.

Lucian

ULTIMATE Member
Meanwhile in Enfield.... 1.8 Mbps dl @ 8pm....
Let's just say I'm not going to watch the champions league final on this.

Attachments

• Image1563103077446785900.jpg
    Image1563103077446785900.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 22

CarlO1460

Pro Member
3D4C07FE-7F8B-45E6-BCD9-08618CBCA687.jpeg
Took this using my Smarty sim today, I’m literally on the edge of the Three mast supplying 5G in Chester.
Has anyone actually noticed any difference in connectivity between Smarty and Three at all?
Also, weirdly, the whole Three network went down today early afternoon. But not much changed when it all came back 😢

SmartyBroadband

Casual Member
2.3GB used for a single speed test. Amazing!

It would be interesting to know what was the total Mhz carrier size. You must have been the only person on the cell at the time of this speed test.

jackster22

Casual Member
New mast about 600 meters from me.
In my bathroom with a SMARTY sim.

Sadly only had 5G logo pop up for like 2-3 mins then dropped to LTE+.

Walked around the mast and still only LTE+. Though Three have enabled quite a large amount of bandwidth on this tower with bands 1,3,20 and new L-band 32 on LTE.

Last edited:

jackster22

Casual Member
Just walked around the development and had a Three and SMARTY sim inserted. Switching between both, the Three SIM always connected to 5G. The SMARTY sim connected to 5G for about 30 seconds once. Every other time connecting via LTE+.

giphy.gif

CarlO1460

Pro Member
Just walked around the development and had a Three and SMARTY sim inserted. Switching between both, the Three SIM always connected to 5G. The SMARTY sim connected to 5G for about 30 seconds once. Every other time connecting via LTE+.

giphy.gif
I’ve seen a few instances where smarty doesn’t like to connect to 5G as much as a direct Three sim.

Annoyingly in Chester, my phone spends a lot more time on 3G lately than any other, so may days on Smarty are limited if this is the new normal.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*25.00)
    Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Plusnet £21.95 (*38.20)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Reward Card
  • Vodafone £22.00 (*25.00)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • NOW £23.00 (*32.00)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £23.00 (*29.95)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Community Fibre £25.00 (*29.50)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: First Month Free
  • Hyperoptic £25.00 (*35.00)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Gigaclear £26.00 (*54.00)
    Speed: 400Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £26.00 (*52.00)
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £26.00 (*29.00)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (3398)
  2. BT (2984)
  3. Politics (1891)
  4. Building Digital UK (1889)
  5. FTTC (1872)
  6. Openreach (1796)
  7. Business (1641)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1443)
  9. Statistics (1388)
  10. FTTH (1363)
  11. 4G (1249)
  12. Fibre Optic (1150)
  13. Virgin Media (1139)
  14. Wireless Internet (1135)
  15. Ofcom Regulation (1126)
  16. Vodafone (822)
  17. EE (816)
  18. TalkTalk (750)
  19. 5G (735)
  20. Sky Broadband (731)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules