Sponsored

Testing: Three 4G/5G - Inc. Smarty Mobile

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member

eccles

Top Member
Might pick up a Smarty SIM purely for curiosity. Three's network is one I've never really tried. 5G has been added in a fair few places too, also serves my home address, so it'd be interesting to see how it'd fair up against VF/EE
Smarty doesn't currenly support 5g. I've heard that some people have got lucky, but it's not official.

Zathan

Top Member
I'm getting god awful speeds since they started allowing band 20 to aggregate with 3 as the 2nd carrier, more people hammering band 3 now I'm guessing, very annoying as I have just signed up to home broadband from them.
Screenshot_20210907-192110_Speedtest.jpg

CarlO1460

ULTIMATE Member
Smarty doesn't currenly support 5g. I've heard that some people have got lucky, but it's not official.
5G smarty. I’m right on the edge of coverage though so it’s not very strong here. But it does connect and has worked a treat before.

I’ll try get some over the weekend. Newly activated sim, has worked in the past too on older sims.

Attachments

• 3C6A09A4-37CA-45AF-8DAA-DB7AB3F9F1DC.jpeg
    3C6A09A4-37CA-45AF-8DAA-DB7AB3F9F1DC.jpeg
    57.8 KB · Views: 29

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
My Xiaomi is not listed either, but it works just fine.
Yeah but that has the band support for it as far as I know. It’s a Mi 10T Lite, right?

zakir1988

ULTIMATE Member
This is what im getting currently on my Three 5G Broadband Cpe Pro as some memebers of the forum know as I have said before im not officially in 5G area just boarder line of 5G Coverage area.

Screenshot_20210917_195114.jpg
Screenshot_20210917_195238_org.zwanoo.android.speedtest.jpg

Still waiting for 5G to come officially in my area been waiting patiently seems like a very long wait

In Al life app find optimal location it says 85 score.

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
This is what im getting currently on my Three 5G Broadband Cpe Pro as some memebers of the forum know as I have said before im not officially in 5G area just boarder line of 5G Coverage area.

View attachment 1557View attachment 1558
Still waiting for 5G to come officially in my area been waiting patiently seems like a very long wait

In Al life app find optimal location it says 85 score.
I'm in a 5G are (outdoor only) you certainly have better stats for both 4G and 5G than I do.

5gsign.JPG

9bc8bb99-fb52-421c-9467-fc87f43a5af9.png

So your doing pretty good if I do say so.

zakir1988

ULTIMATE Member
I'm in a 5G are (outdoor only) you certainly have better stats for both 4G and 5G than I do.

View attachment 1559

So your doing pretty good if I do say so.

We will have good better 5G speeds when networks deploy 5G SA not anytime soon as it will mean more investment as they will have to start from the ground as to now 4G is supporting 5G less cost to the networks diploying 5G as we know.

Some info about nsa and sa from Ericsson

https://www.ericsson.com/en/blog/2019/7/standalone-and-non-standalone-5g-nr-two-5g-tracks

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
We will have good better 5G speeds when networks deploy 5G SA not anytime soon as it will mean more investment as they will have to start from the ground as to now 4G is supporting 5G less cost to the networks diploying 5G as we know.

https://www.ericsson.com/en/blog/2019/7/standalone-and-non-standalone-5g-nr-two-5g-tracks
Not necessarily, the main part of holding up a connection with the mast is uplink and if that is switched to higher spectrum (ie. N78 3500Mhz) we'll be likely to see connections unable to sustain due to signal quality issues.

Downstream is handled by the transmitter, but devices have to connect to the network and with 4G being stronger and more available this is the only way.

I maintain the same thing I've been saying for nearly 2 years, we are being oversold the capabilities of 5G (both NSA and SA) running high data demand (such as homes full of simaltanious users) is not something that just comes with a new generation of wireless.

Seani

Top Member

That’s where the GBs come in, we are two years in, SA will probably mean moving NSA to 4G only rural sites on a swap out to SA, that’s a major benefit of NSA to SA, everyone is a winner. Rural won’t care about NSA/GBs when even 100Mbps NSA shits all over BT lines.

Cities as per will really benefit from 5G SA but 5G NSA will be day & night moved to rural locations to serve actual broadband.

I’ll give that a read :)

Seani

Top Member
Not necessarily, the main part of holding up a connection with the mast is uplink and if that is switched to higher spectrum (ie. N78 3500Mhz) we'll be likely to see connections unable to sustain due to signal quality issues.

Downstream is handled by the transmitter, but devices have to connect to the network and with 4G being stronger and more available this is the only way.

I maintain the same thing I've been saying for nearly 2 years, we are being oversold the capabilities of 5G (both NSA and SA) running high data demand (such as homes full of simaltanious users) is not something that just comes with a new generation of wireless.
True but other bands are available for balancing 5G upload, upload on only N77/78 would be commercial suicide, but backhaul pipes also matter EE have BT backhaul, Three have Virgin/CityFibre/Scottish Southern National ring contracts and o2 will have Virgin & CityFibre meanwhile the network that has no 700MHz has its falling to bits Cable & Wireless National ring that CityFibre is connecting base stations to, Vodafone, the poorest 5G planning, spectrum & it now owns of its base stations. BT also has v/o2/Three backhaul pipe contracts but Rural & Emergency Access networks is seriously going to impact BT revenue on that & coverage equality, especially Three’s 5G low and high speed spectrum.

Backhaul is king in everything, not just BST pipes & Vodafone U.K. is a pauper of epic U.K. proportions compared to the others. I mean they won’t even have 700MHz 5G N28 to offset N78. Sure steal some 4G spectrum but that’s going to impact a technology that doesn’t saturate like 5G.

Most people don’t need high speed upload, this is where 5G splicing will happen, big companies will pay big time for high speed high frequency spectrum uploading. Consumers will get what’s left on some kind of price plans anomaly no doubt “5G+ uploads only £5 per extra per month” lol.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Vodafone £19.50 (*22.50)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • NOW £20.00 (*32.00)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*25.00)
    Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: ROKUGIFT
  • TalkTalk £21.00 (*29.95)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £21.99 (*30.99)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Vodafone £23.50 (*26.50)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Gigaclear £24.00 (*49.00)
    Speed: 300Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £25.00 (*35.00)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: ROKUGIFT
  • Community Fibre £27.50 (*32.50)
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: First 6 Months Free
  • Virgin Media £28.00 (*52.00)
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (3667)
  2. BT (3044)
  3. Politics (1975)
  4. Building Digital UK (1945)
  5. FTTC (1897)
  6. Openreach (1862)
  7. Business (1717)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1501)
  9. Statistics (1430)
  10. FTTH (1367)
  11. 4G (1295)
  12. Virgin Media (1196)
  13. Fibre Optic (1184)
  14. Wireless Internet (1176)
  15. Ofcom Regulation (1167)
  16. Vodafone (859)
  17. EE (845)
  18. 5G (792)
  19. TalkTalk (781)
  20. Sky Broadband (757)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules