JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
Just double checked for you. View attachment 1033
And this is definitely the Lebara SIM??

Because that's an O2 frequency

Screenshot_20210406-202020.png

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
In my case, it just sticks to B40, and doesn't appear to CA. Cellmapper doesn't even show B40 at that mast neither for O2 nor for Vodafone.

I'm guessing carriers have some behind the scenes agreements maybe at a regional level. Could this be part of the new shared rural network? (although I'd hardly call Gateshead rural).
Band 40 has very limited CA, I've on managed to aggregate it with another band 40 frequency (O2 has two)

I'll have to ask the question as to the sharing of bands, but as far as I'm aware they dont share frequencies as licensing wouldn't allow it.

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
I notice weird things like this on my xiaomi. Sometimes three appears to have a 2G EDGE network which i know isn't the case as they don't own any 2G spectrum. I saw it this morning at it just appears for about 5 seconds as GSM - MCC 234 MNC 20 (23420 is three's PLMN).
I believe EE and Three have sharing of 3G in place and I 'think' in some areas this fall's to 2G too.

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
I believe EE and Three have sharing of 3G in place and I 'think' in some areas this fall's to 2G too.
I haven only ever successfully connected to three on 2G once and that was with my temporary Samsung when I turned it on one day and it was connected to EDGE with a fast.com SPEEDTEST showing it was 65K dialup speed (I’m not joking, it wasn’t 65Kbps).

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
I haven only ever successfully connected to three on 2G once and that was with my temporary Samsung when I turned it on one day and it was connected to EDGE with a fast.com SPEEDTEST showing it was 65K dialup speed (I’m not joking, it wasn’t 65Kbps).
It's very limited to locations, its only meant as a last resort in some places.

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
Yes, that's the Lebara SIM :D
I don't even have an O2-based SIM.
That's very odd, do you have the eNB of the mast on cellmapper, would be great if you could give me a postcode for it too or at least nearby, ill run this by somebody for some clarification.

TTJJ

ULTIMATE Member
I have two lebara Sims which have both been recently crippled by a new estate opening up and ~1000 people moving in, a lot of them use Vodafone as it went from 40meg as the mast to ~2 meg :)
Would be interesting to see how Vodafone deal with this and if they increase capacity in a timely manner. We know that's the issue that plagues Three, but speeds as low as that is somewhat unusual for Vodafone.

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
Would be interesting to see how Vodafone deal with this and if they increase capacity in a timely manner. We know that's the issue that plagues Three, but speeds as low as that is somewhat unusual for Vodafone.
Funnily enough, three is the best round here. O2 and voda are a congested mess and EE is just unreliable. I'm in an O2 area here so it will be O2 upgrading the mast (When they do) but O2 is even worse. I had GG about 2 years ago and the speed back then was always >1 meg but voda used to be better back then. They are congested too now. They have been interested in the area that I live in for quite a while now, seen a load of the new phase 8 quad stack 5G monopoles, they seem to be ripping the big masts out and putting monopoles in instead. Hopefully they will get here soon but I'm going back to three for my internet when my £12.50 deal with Lebara is up.

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
Latest update: the network obviously couldn't handle it and the 4G has gone offline. Only got the lovely 3G now :)

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
Just double checked for you. View attachment 1033
Had a word about this and it would seem your device is mis-reporting information, common with the iPhone test menu.

It's likely that the information is from the emergency state of phone (when it has no network it latches to a network for emergency comms)

Restart device and check again.

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
Nothing to see here, just some casual testing over 24 hours across South West Brum.

Icknield Street, Bromsgrove, B48
3313062089898886-zSYcMDDD.png

Walkers Heath Park, Birmingham, B38
3313074525163240-C9XZLoIb.png

Kings Norton Skate Park, Birmingham, B38
3313079053627990-o9gZ4ncw.png

Wychall Reservoir, Birmingham, B38
3313080495132153-6ghy88fA.png

Rea Valley Route, Middlemore Road, Birmingham, B31
3313083047362829-siPamtUn.png

Thanks for reading :)

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
So recently I advised that Vodafone where working to automate enabling of intra-node ENDC so that 5G users could connect to 5G the covered the area where the users device connected to a separate 4G only mast site.

Well today a mast located just around the corner from me has seen this change happen, and when wandering around the area for this particular mast I connected to 5G cells a few times from both neighboring 5G masts.

However I cannot say yet if the automated process has been put in place or if this activation was part of the manual activation process mentioned to me previously by Ker Anderson at Vodafone.

I shall reach out to see if anymore informatiuon is available but sounds like the network team over at Vodafone has been very busy with stuff recently.

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
Good Afternoon guys, so I had confirmation that on Friday 9th April Vodafone has enabled more 4G sites with intra-node ENDC,

This means now that Vodafone/Voxi customers should be able to make use of 5G in more locations than before.

This is done by allowing devices to connect with NR cells of 5G enabled masts whilst cponnected to other 4G only mast sites.

I can confirm I saw this go into affect on Friday and have since seen 5G become availble in more areas within the existing coverage zones, I should add that this doesn't mean there is additional coverage areas now but that more devices under coverage will be able to connect.

I'm not sure if this was a manual activation method or if this method has been implemented network wide.

Thanks for reading :)

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
Good Afternoon everyone, so on Thursday 15th April, I took a trip around Central Birmingham and the South West Birmingham areas to check a new average speed for 5G network on Vodafone.

Earlier in this thread you have seen speeds in the 400-500mbps region for NR-NSA based 5G on Vodafone, however since these tests these number have been falling and now we seem to be seeing a new average.

19 Locations tested using average speeds from nPerf 30 second tests, all tests 5G was of reasonable strength and all tests where door outdoors.

The average speeds received was 244.75Mb/s, with a slowest being 158.18Mb/s and the fastest being 395.56Mb/s

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • TalkTalk £22.00 (*29.95)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £22.00 (*25.00)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: HYPERSPRING
  • Shell Energy £22.99 (*30.99)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: 12 Months of Norton 360
  • Plusnet £22.99 (*36.52)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Reward Card
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £24.00 (*44.00)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Offer Code: SPRUCE20
  • Vodafone £26.00 (*29.00)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £28.00 (*44.00)
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £29.00 (*35.00)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: HYPERSPRING
  • TalkTalk £29.95 (*39.95)
    Speed: 145Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (3218)
  2. BT (2927)
  3. Building Digital UK (1853)
  4. FTTC (1852)
  5. Politics (1835)
  6. Openreach (1751)
  7. Business (1592)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1376)
  9. FTTH (1359)
  10. Statistics (1353)
  11. 4G (1184)
  12. Fibre Optic (1129)
  13. Wireless Internet (1110)
  14. Virgin Media (1102)
  15. Ofcom Regulation (1101)
  16. EE (787)
  17. Vodafone (778)
  18. TalkTalk (736)
  19. Sky Broadband (714)
  20. 5G (671)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules