Sponsored

Testing: Vodafone 5G & 4G - Inc. Voxi, Lebara

Lucian

ULTIMATE Member
Travelled from NLondon to Bristol and then Wales, so took an unlimited 4G data plan for May.
I found Lebara/Vodafone to be quite adequate, with decent speeds in Bristol, Swansea and along the way on the motorways.

It would often clock 50+ Mbps, even over 100, but on the M4 near Slough I hit the jackpot, 400 Mbps.

Now I'm back in my home borough of Enfield where 5 Mbps is king :( ...

Attachments

• Image6076214523699365656.jpg
    Image6076214523699365656.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 36

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
Thanks for sharing @Lucian , that result from 4G on Lebara is pretty awesome and reminiscent of what I was seeing with Voxi in 2020.

Looks like that's a new site on the M4 too, but I'm happier to see that Lebara can tap into the speeds like that too, it definitely makes them a good contender for use in 4G routers.

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
Nothing like the crawling slow speeds I get on my Lebara.
IMG_20210503_204219.jpg

Lucian

ULTIMATE Member
Ouch... You said a new estate opened up near you, is this causing the low speeds?
I see Starlink in your future. :)

Ps: is that the Simple Gallery editor you used to redact the screenshot?

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
I'm USB tethering at the moment (USB 2.0) with 5G on...

11362821049.png

Might whip out my USB C Ethernet and see if anymore juice can be pulled out of the connection, but to be honest would rather keep it on 4G and get 3CA, though since the Virgin Apocalypse hit Vodafone in this area Band 20 has become a litte more varied when it comes to performance.

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
Ouch... You said a new estate opened up near you, is this causing the low speeds?
I see Starlink in your future. :)

Ps: is that the Simple Gallery editor you used to redact the screenshot?
Yeah, they've been building it since 2015 and are still going now. O2 is even worse, under 1 meg down and 25 up strangely on my last lyca speedtest. I only have the 4G as a backup to my main BT connection and I'm getting rid of it soon as I'm at the end of my contract with BT so I renewed my contract but added their new 'Hybrid Connect' device as its on £7/mth instead of the £25 I'm paying lebara atm. As for the screenshot, it was just a basic built in screenshot and i edited it in Xiaomi Gallery on my phone. Or you could say i spilled my Irn Bru ;)

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
O2 and Vodafone on a single B20 mast with lots of users is a spell for trouble......

GavinAshford

ULTIMATE Member
It has been recently highlighted to me that Vodafone/O2 are (once again?) progressing with their B8 (900mhz) 'defragmenting' activities.
At some point recently my VF mast/area has been reconfigured and VF are now using UARFCN 3012 (which used to be O2's) for 3G purposes, giving both providers more contiguous spectrum they can choose to use for 4G, or even perhaps 5G.

A couple of pages from Peter for reference:

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
Took my phone up to the mast today with my Lebara SIM and this is what I got, bare in mind this is early in the morning and not many people are using the network.
Screenshot_2021-05-05-08-06-51-197_org.zwanoo.android.speedtest.jpg

Lucian

ULTIMATE Member
Jesus.. You reckon it's because onboarding Virgin Mobile?
In that case, guess which operator has spare capacity in your area.. :)
Your EE sim arrived yet?

GavinAshford

ULTIMATE Member
Took my phone up to the mast today with my Lebara SIM and this is what I got, bare in mind this is early in the morning and not many people are using the network.
View attachment 1127
How close were you to the mast? Too close and the signal will be poor - as indicated by the 2 of 5 signal levels in your status bar... you might even be connected to another mast entirely if you're pretty much under it

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
Jesus.. You reckon it's because onboarding Virgin Mobile?
In that case, guess which operator has spare capacity in your area.. :)
Your EE sim arrived yet?
I think it as an issue before that to be honest, its likely going to be further impacted by VM though.
you might even be connected to another mast entirely if you're pretty much under it
I'm pretty sure based on the area that isn't the case, but certainly intrigued to know which network is being used in slot 2

Lucian

ULTIMATE Member
How close were you to the mast? Too close and the signal will be poor - as indicated by the 2 of 5 signal levels in your status bar... you might even be connected to another mast entirely if you're pretty much under it

That's why I prefer to use nPerf where possible, it's very handy as it shows not only whether if you're on LTE-A and which cell id, but also the RSRP, this way you can kind of find a good distance/position.

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
I was using the Lebara in the second sim, the one with full signal. I was stood in direct LOS of one of the panels head on, about 200m away from it.

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
That's why I prefer to use nPerf where possible, it's very handy as it shows not only whether if you're on LTE-A and which cell id, but also the RSRP, this way you can kind of find a good distance/position.
There's no LTE-A in my area for O2 or VF as this mast is the only one that serves my area for both operators and has single band carrier B20 on it.

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
Your EE sim arrived yet?
The Hybrid Connect landed today, first impressions are OK. I was at first only getting 4 Meg through it but then realised that was because my phone decided to be an eedijot and I did one on my PC and kept hitting the 30/5 limit it has. Looks like its goodbye lebara hello BT (Till EE breaks again in the summer ofc). I do like though that you don't have to switch WIFI networks like I used to, it all just integrates into one. Nice, BT!

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
The Hybrid Connect landed today, first impressions are OK. I was at first only getting 4 Meg through it but then realised that was because my phone decided to be an eedijot and I did one on my PC and kept hitting the 30/5 limit it has. Looks like its goodbye lebara hello BT (Till EE breaks again in the summer ofc). I do like though that you don't have to switch WIFI networks like I used to, it all just integrates into one. Nice, BT!
Don't that Hybrid thing just work as a backup though?

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*25.00)
    Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Plusnet £21.95 (*38.20)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Reward Card
  • Vodafone £22.00 (*25.00)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • NOW £23.00 (*32.00)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £23.00 (*29.95)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Community Fibre £25.00 (*29.50)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: First Month Free
  • Hyperoptic £25.00 (*35.00)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Gigaclear £26.00 (*54.00)
    Speed: 400Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £26.00 (*52.00)
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £26.00 (*29.00)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (3398)
  2. BT (2984)
  3. Politics (1891)
  4. Building Digital UK (1889)
  5. FTTC (1872)
  6. Openreach (1796)
  7. Business (1641)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1443)
  9. Statistics (1388)
  10. FTTH (1363)
  11. 4G (1249)
  12. Fibre Optic (1150)
  13. Virgin Media (1139)
  14. Wireless Internet (1135)
  15. Ofcom Regulation (1126)
  16. Vodafone (822)
  17. EE (816)
  18. TalkTalk (750)
  19. 5G (735)
  20. Sky Broadband (731)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules