Sponsored

The best way to monitor my employees ' work

Hunter_Gold

Is there any good software for monitoring employees out there? I'm looking to track the active/idle time, internet, and software usage of five users. And maybe something for easy communication. No need for screenshots, videos, or voice recordings.

TTJJ

ULTIMATE Member
If not videos, screenshots or recordings - what exactly are you wanting to monitor?

Also keep in mind such solutions have a significant negative effect on staff morale and make them feel like they’re being ‘watched’. Your desired outcome of presumably more efficient employees may backfire.

Hunter_Gold

If not videos, screenshots or recordings - what exactly are you wanting to monitor?

Also keep in mind such solutions have a significant negative effect on staff morale and make them feel like they’re being ‘watched’. Your desired outcome of presumably more efficient employees may backfire.
Just software using, if it is possible.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Monitoring staff when outside of the workplace, as well as outside of normal working hours, requires some careful legal consideration under the GDPR / Data Protection laws (it's generally wise to do as little monitoring as possible to keep safe from the law).

I should think that monitoring the actual work / work software rather than the person may be acceptable up to a point, but if they're using their own personal device (laptop, car, mobile etc.) to do that then it can fall into a legally difficult area. You must also be transparent with your staff about all of this.

I suspect a bespoke remote working VPN, which keeps the files and / or software (or some of it) on your office servers, may be a better way to go. But obviously setting those up can be a bit tricky and costly, depending upon your experience and needs. Likewise if you supply a company laptop to staff then that also helps.

baby_frogmella

Pro Member
Is there any good software for monitoring employees out there? I'm looking to track the active/idle time, internet, and software usage of five users. And maybe something for easy communication. No need for screenshots, videos, or voice recordings.
As good as your intentions are, I suspect they may backfire. If you don't trust your staff to do their duties efficiently then perhaps you need to replace them? I'm sure you don't need reminding that the candidate pool out there is huge at present given the current circumstances.

greentrident

Casual Member
This is a terrible idea! If you can't trust your staff get different staff. It's only 5 people, you probably know everything there is to know about them! The occasional conversation will tell you more than snooping through their activity logs! Added to which it's probably illegal and definitely unethical!

Honestly, I would scrap the idea of monitoring and just look at the work they produce. Are they meeting deadlines to a good quality? If so, great. If not, speak to them about that.

The number of hours they spend in application xyz is honestly meaningless as long as they meet business requirements.

Ignitionnet

Honestly, I would scrap the idea of monitoring and just look at the work they produce. Are they meeting deadlines to a good quality? If so, great. If not, speak to them about that.

The number of hours they spend in application xyz is honestly meaningless as long as they meet business requirements.
+1 especially in the era of home working. My work day is all over the place and has been for the entire 8 years I've been working from home 100%. My productivity is usually a long way from 100% 9-5 however apart from sleep and time off I'm never offline and work whenever required pretty much.

If they're doing shift work as long as customers are happy there is nothing wrong.

Whatever as they're producing what they need to, when they need to, there is nothing wrong.

baby_frogmella

Pro Member
I wouldn't go that far, because even if they've finished the task(s) for the day, what if a client walks in and sees the employees dawdling away on BookFace or dating websites during working hours? Doesn't look very professional does it?

candlerb

Casual Member
I wouldn't go that far, because even if they've finished the task(s) for the day, what if a client walks in and sees the employees dawdling away on BookFace or dating websites during working hours? Doesn't look very professional does it?
The solution is not software: it is to have a policy which all employees read and agree to (e.g. it might include "you may not use Facebook on office computers during normal working hours")

A policy means that everyone knows up front what is and isn't allowed. If they violate the policy, then you deal with it as you would with any other matter of discipline.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Onestream £22.49 (*29.99)
    Avg. Speed 45Mbps, Unlimited
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99 (*35.98)
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Reward Card
  • Vodafone £23.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2768)
  2. FTTP (2746)
  3. FTTC (1783)
  4. Building Digital UK (1740)
  5. Politics (1662)
  6. Openreach (1619)
  7. Business (1429)
  8. FTTH (1340)
  9. Statistics (1240)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1221)
  11. Fibre Optic (1062)
  12. 4G (1052)
  13. Wireless Internet (1020)
  14. Ofcom Regulation (1014)
  15. Virgin Media (1004)
  16. EE (696)
  17. Sky Broadband (668)
  18. Vodafone (666)
  19. TalkTalk (661)
  20. 5G (514)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules