Sponsored

Thinking of Moving to Eclipse

caf4926

Casual Member
With Pipex now. My son is on Eclipse. He is fairly ok with them, he only gets 2-3mb from a max avail 8mb, but he is a fair distance from the exchange. I have read the forums and se there are many differing opinions.
To be honest, if I only get 2mb that would be ok, so long a P2P works without being throttled. My son seems to think it is fine on his evo package. Though I note the Azureus wiki lists Eclipse in the Bad ISp's section.
Pipex have recently found a work a round for the p2p encryption, so now I only get 20kbps from a possible max of 200.
I don't expect a cheap package like the ones Eclipse offer to be A1. But if anyone can confirm how they find it, including p2p. Thanks

Old dude

ULTIMATE Member
I have found them to be very reliable for about 3 years, but I dont know about P2P as I dont use it.

I dont suppose I can comment on how customer support is now, as I havent used them, but as you say there is varying opinions.

Not very helpful I suppose, but I can at least say they are reliable. I will be putting various friends and family on, dispite a few misgivings.

lanepixie

Eclipse are OK. They have finally sorted out the email problem plaguing them since last August. The connection is good and more than adequate for my needs no games or P2P.

nij

Casual Member
I have been with eclipse for years and always thought their servicw was good(im on a business package).however over the last 2 days from about 12 till 10 pm i am getting poor download speed and no upload speed when using a p2p program.
i have put in a support ticket and await the results to be honest i dont expect any answer that will fill me with confidence

If you want P2P then don't go with Eclipse. In fact if you want decent speeds, don't go to Eclipse. In fact, don't go with Eclipse full stop.

We have an issue with low speeds, we've been with Eclipse for about 12 months and have seen a deterioration in speed during this time. They also throttle P2P, but if you speak to a techie about it, they call it traffic shaping. So unless you want to be repeatedly corrected by the techie, don't refer to it as throttling.

I asked about contention ratios and was told that they don't have ratios any more, they have prioritisation, so if you are a business customer you are higher in the pecking order when it comes to bandwidth. So, the situation we have here is that we are a Business User (2 meg link), with **** download speeds (700 kbps on average) and throttled P2P. I'd hate to be a residential customer....

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
I haven't had any issues with them - my download speeds are pretty good, and I do use P2P, but it isn't on all the time, so I think I've avoided their 'traffic shaping'.

nodrog

ULTIMATE Member
the thing to do is use p2p outwith peak hours

peak time is 6pm - midnight

set up p2p and start download before going to bed and downloads should be finished in the morning.. this will be done during unlimited period and not affect bandwidith fair usage policy restrictions.....

ive been with eclipse for over 1 year on the old flex 500 plan never had any problems even the email problems only hit me about a week before it was all fixed with new hardware

i p2p most weekends can be slow but u are restricted by what output speed the peer at the other end is able to provide

deank

Casual Member
There good

Ive been wiv eclipse for nearly one year now, Ive had only two outages, which were in fact down to BT, and not Eclipse. Im on the Evolution 14.99 package which is more than adequate for my needs (browsing, updates, and P2P occasionally). There support (when I have need to contact them) has been responded to within 24 hours, however their UK support centre can take sometime to get through to, but they are helpful and know what they are talking about. Im also on their 5.99 talk package which has driven down my call costs dramatically! (wiv bt it was about 25+ per month for calls, now its a £5!). Their online account management is good too, you can bar certain types of calls (such mobile, international, prem rate), and view unbilled calls too. I dont use their email service, as I find webmail much more convenient. Overall I would recommend them, and Im not I dont work for them! Honest !

silvester

I'm now with Eclipse. After Ezeedsl, anything would seem good!

Can't comment on long-term connectivity but was very impressed with how incident-free my migration from the awful 186k (t/a Ezeedsl) that I was originally blackmailed into was.

Patesy

Pro Member
P2P with Eclipse is poor during peak hours. I would suggest setting your P2P client to download after midnight. If you need to download P2P in normal hours then Eclipse are not for you. They have a stringent traffic shaping policy and I couldn't get much more than 30KB/s download speeds. Along with this and the appauling mail service made me migrate away to UKFSN, an entanet reseller.

Patesy

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
Reliabilty has been excellent (I've been with them for over a year, with maybe 2 outages, neither of which lasted long).

When I have needed to enter a support ticket on their website, the response has always been quick (always within 24 hours, usually much earlier than that)

Their mail servers seem to be very slow, and sometimes fail to log in at all (maybe 1 in every 3 or 4 attempts fails)

P2P I can't really comment on, as I don't really using it and when I do I'm not monitoring the speed I get (plus I'm on an old contract that is not offered any more).

Speeds have always been pretty good for me, if not outstanding. I certainly have no complaints.

TBH, I will be moving soon (hopefully) and may well look at other ISPs (UKFSN being one of them). However, having seen all of the recent V21/Biscit/EezeDSL problems I may also decide that it's better the devil you know, and stick with them.

Patesy

Pro Member
I migrtated from Eclipse to UKFSN and have never looked back. Speeds are through the roof from what I was experiencing with Eclipse. Ok I am paying a fiver a month more, but it is well worth it. Eclipse are still trying to bill me 4 months after I migrated:(

Patesy

ukrossco

Eclipse Speed Review

Hi

Let me start by saying that if you don't know what your actual speeds are then you can't really comment on the perceived speed you receive. The speed you perceive when surfing has little or no relevance to the speed you'll receive when downloading or using p2p.

I'm on an 8mbps Evolution Broadband connection which I've been using for 6 months now.

- Signup
Hassle free and took about ten days

- Reliability
Really good. I only had a short drop out when my local loop was unbundled. Also, no packet loss experienced during any tests.

- Customer Service
Pretty poor really. I waited 40 mins on the phone and eventually gave up before even speaking to a human being. Online support, via the control panel seems a bit better with most queries answered within 24 hours. From the point of view of someone who knows what they are talking about (I'm an IT consultant) it appeared that the messages I sent hadn't really been read properly and that standard responses had been sent back to me (eg. I asked about traffic shaping and they responded with 'check microfilters/other devices' type nonsense).

- Bandwidth
I'm on an 8Mbps line so my theoretical maximum download speed should be 1000KB/s. Obviously, this is not possible due to network overheads. My average speed test (from various sources) averages out around 450KB/s. This would put the line rate I'm receiving at about 5Mbps (allowing for a generous network overhead) My line reports low noise and a dsl sync of 8157Mbps downstream so clearly the problem doesn't lie between me or the exchange but at Eclipse.

- Latency
Latency is average with roundtrip times averaging 40ms for UK/European servers and 130ms for US servers.

- DNS
DNS is responsive enough

- Traffic shaping
Eclipse definately DO traffic shape. I confirmed this with support however I am still waiting for them to release their policy on this. It appears that traffic is aggressively shaped which means that P2P suffers greatly (I have only ever managed 40KB/s or so on bittorrent). Bearing in mind that applications powered by Kontiki (such as some media distribution platforms used by major broadcasting agencies like the BBC / Sky / Channel 4 On Demand) will suffer as a result, as will P2P voip clients such as skype.

Traffic shaping in such an aggressive manner (I'm guessing they interrogate encrypted P2P packets for shaping too) is the single reason I want to leave Eclipse.

It's like buying a stamp at the post office. If you didn't know any better, you might ask when your letter will arrive and the post office will ask 'What's in it?'. When you tell them, they'll reply 'Don't know'.

I'm thinking of changing to Aquiss as they are getting a lot of good press regarding their lack of traffic shaping.

My advice, stay clear of Eclipse for the time being. They used to be great but they seem to be going downhill. No point in joining a sinking ship.

Ross

scungrey66

I have had eclipse for 4 months. The first d/debit payment was correct (£18.99) but since then the last three have been £48.75 , £34.74 & £59.77 . I rang and they said i had d/loaded over my 10GB allowance. I very rarely download and if i did , then 10GB is like 10000 songs . NO WAY . I wish i could get out of this 1 year contract. I have since changed to a £14.99 option with no limits so they said its impossible to go over £14.99 . I wait to see . I am currently waiting for them to send an e-mail of the d/loads (that will be interesting reading!!!!! AVOID these criminals!!!!!!

Alfie

Slow Slow

I moved from tesco to these cowboys! I've been with them a month and can't wait to leave. The rate never goes above 1500Kbps and often is at 483KBPS. If you complain they ask you to run tests for 3 days when this shows what rubbish they are they try to blame your equipment:( (Fat chance I'm a systems Engineer) and then they blame BT. Their site always says that SOME customers are having slow download speeds that they are trying to resolve. I bet they are.!!

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £21.00 (*25.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Shopping Voucher
  • TalkTalk £21.95 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99 (*34.98)
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £75 Cashback
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2529)
  2. FTTP (2250)
  3. FTTC (1673)
  4. Building Digital UK (1616)
  5. Politics (1443)
  6. Openreach (1429)
  7. Business (1257)
  8. Statistics (1108)
  9. FTTH (1103)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1055)
  11. Fibre Optic (978)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (922)
  13. 4G (918)
  14. Wireless Internet (917)
  15. Virgin Media (868)
  16. EE (601)
  17. Sky Broadband (598)
  18. TalkTalk (584)
  19. Vodafone (531)
  20. 3G (417)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules