Sponsored Links

Three 5g CPE Pro2 and AX3 will it work?

iDriver

Hi guys, I have been going around in ever decreasing circles with this today and concede defeat.
I have a Three network Huawei 5g CPE Pro2 and as a stand alone system it’s brilliant when in same or adjacent rooms, (400mbps + download speeds). However the wifi in a garden room is very patchy so I figured adding a 4core Huawei AX3 was the answer.
my thought was that the AX3 would link to the CPE via wifi and act as an AX3/CPE mesh?
I can link the AX3 to the CPE via cat5 cable and it appears both work as a mesh. However, if I disconnect the Cat5 cable from the AX3 it goes offline and when I look up devices in the Huawei AI Life app it shows the AX3 as a blocked device. But there is no option in the app to unblock it?
any ideas PLEASE!

cpe pro 2 is not a mesh unit

just a brilliant 5g router

you could add a 2nd ax3 and let them both connect together then move them around where you need them
or get a cheap box.co.uk (£30) huawei mesh kit (1 router and 2 satellites with powerline too) and then you'll have 4 mesh units to play with

Or just change your ax3 to repeater mode for your cpe pro 2's wifi

Last edited:
cpe pro 2 is not a mesh unit

just a brilliant 5g router

you could add a 2nd ax3 and let them both connect together then move them around where you need them
or get a cheap box.co.uk (£30) huawei mesh kit (1 router and 2 satellites with powerline too) and then you'll have 4 mesh units to play with

Or just change your ax3 to repeater mode for your cpe pro 2's wifi
you can use the router in a mesh system with huaweis own routers using the HiLink protocol included

Sponsored Links
i've got this exact setup and you can link then as bubblefish6 says.

the CPE Pro2 wifi range is a lot better than one of the AX3 but using them in a mesh system will provide better overall coverage.

for the price they're way faster than anything else but they have poor range and even poorer software.

802.11s is currently not supported. HUAWEI 5G CPE Pro 2 would support 802.11s or easy mesh upon HOTA (HUAWEI-Over-the-Air) update.

this is still confusing to me.
is it a proper mesh they're using or just a chinese knockoff?

Sponsored Links
I'm also looking at using a HUAWEI 5G CPE Pro 2 with a few AX3 units to create a mesh network.

I will use ethernet cables between the units, as shown below.

I want to create a proper mesh network (ie it manages the connection of devices to ensure they connect to the best wifi point). What's the best way to do this?

Should I:

1] Setup the SSID on the CPE Pro 2 - thus making the CPE Pro the "master" unit in the mesh

2] Or, create the mesh from one of the AX3's - therefore not using the WiFi functionality of the CPE Pro 2

Huawei WiFi Mesh.png

Last edited:
Looking on the official Huawei website, it says,

"HUAWEI 5G CPE Pro 2 allows you to set up a whole-home mesh network system, which offers seamless Wi-Fi throughout your home. As you walk around the house, the connected device will automatically switch to the strongest signal in the system. Set up your mesh network in anyway you like, by connecting HUAWEI 5G CPE Pro 2 to HUAWEI Wi-Fi routers, or connecting it with your Ethernet cable, or both."

Going by that, it suggests the CPE Pro 2 can be used as the master unit and the AX3's can be added as satellite mesh units.

The question I now have is about configuring the devices. I have the Quad Core, Pro versions of the AX3. Each AX3 has four ethernet ports, 1 WAN and 3 LAN.

❓I wonder, does it matter which port on the AX3 is used to connect back to the CPE Pro 2 (via the switch)?

❓How do you go about configuring the AX3's?
• Are they plug & play - i.e. they will automatically setup as mesh units once connected?
• Is it a case of using one of the Huawei smartphone Apps?
• Does this get configured through the web interface of the CPE Pro 2?
• Do you use the HiLink buttons on the devices to trigger an auto pairing setup between the devices?

CPE Pro 2 site.png

Last edited:
Looking at this further, the AX3 manual details that an AX3 can be connected to the HUAWEI CPE to "expand" the Wi-Fi network: wired / wireless.

What the manual fails to explain is how to configure the settings if going with a wired connection. It just says to connect using an ethernet cable. I wonder if the AX3 will auto configure itself, or if it needs to be set into mesh mode through an interface in a browser or app - has anyone got information about how to do this?

AX3 Manual.png

Last edited:
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules