Sponsored Links

Three 5G - Massive variation on download speed and ping

jamieb1234

Casual Member
Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced the below issue and if they have found a fix.

I have a Huawei CPE PRO H112-370 provided by Three and I'm on their 5G network. We have recently started getting massive variation in the download speed and ping/jitter on our connection. The jitter is so bad it makes video calls very difficult - there is a graph in Google Meet showing latency and I regularly see it up around 1s when the connection is at it's worst. What's odd is that restarting the router seems to reset the connection.

For example, I have just done a speed test:
Ping: 30ms
Jitter: 906ms
Download: 22.9 Mbps (this starts off low and gradually rises throughout the test)
Upload: 17.4 Mbps (this is pretty consistent throughout the test)

I then restart the router, run another speedtest and get the following:
Ping: 17ms
Jitter: 33ms
Download: 90 Mbps (still gradually rising throughout the test)
Upload: 14.7 Mbps

I have seen speeds close to 200 Mbps previously. This issue started happening a few weeks ago. We had the service for around a month with no issues whatsoever. It seems quite random how often a restart is required - for example today I have restarted the router 3 times but I hadn't had to do it for a couple of days before this.

I know I can't really compare as it's 4G but I have a Huawei P30 Pro on Three 4G and consistently get around 80 Mbps download - I never have any similar jitter issues.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so were you able to fix it?

Thanks

Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced the below issue and if they have found a fix.

I have a Huawei CPE PRO H112-370 provided by Three and I'm on their 5G network. We have recently started getting massive variation in the download speed and ping/jitter on our connection. The jitter is so bad it makes video calls very difficult - there is a graph in Google Meet showing latency and I regularly see it up around 1s when the connection is at it's worst. What's odd is that restarting the router seems to reset the connection.

For example, I have just done a speed test:
Ping: 30ms
Jitter: 906ms
Download: 22.9 Mbps (this starts off low and gradually rises throughout the test)
Upload: 17.4 Mbps (this is pretty consistent throughout the test)

I then restart the router, run another speedtest and get the following:
Ping: 17ms
Jitter: 33ms
Download: 90 Mbps (still gradually rising throughout the test)
Upload: 14.7 Mbps

I have seen speeds close to 200 Mbps previously. This issue started happening a few weeks ago. We had the service for around a month with no issues whatsoever. It seems quite random how often a restart is required - for example today I have restarted the router 3 times but I hadn't had to do it for a couple of days before this.

I know I can't really compare as it's 4G but I have a Huawei P30 Pro on Three 4G and consistently get around 80 Mbps download - I never have any similar jitter issues.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so were you able to fix it?

Thanks
That sounds more like 4G speeds, not 5G, are you sure the router isn't disconnecting from 5G and busting you down to 4G?

No, it's definitely on 5G - at least if you believe the router status page.

If I test later in the evening the speed goes up to closer to 200 - I would guess we're not that close to the mast and there is quite a lot of traffic during the day.

Sponsored Links
Yes its congestion on your mast. I see it daily myself with my 4G+ three mast too. I'm maxing out at around 20Mbps all daytime now,, lucky to get about 5Mbps after 6pm every evening, then between 2-3am it'll hit 200Mbps. The high levels of ping appear indicative of congested masts too, I've seen over 500ms, in the evening it seems that if one device in your home is watching 1080p video, then you can't do anything else on another because the response time is so slow and the lack of available bandwidth.

Does congestion causing this fit with the fact that restarting the router always improves the connection?

It's just very annoying as because of these recent issues I am able to consistently get better performance on my 4G phone.

Definitely seems like congestion. Rebooting does sometimes improve things that’s why the isps always advise doing so.

Have you checked the Three coverage status checker to see if there are any issues local to you?

Mines always saying there is an issue being fixed.

Sponsored Links
Definitely seems like congestion. Rebooting does sometimes improve things that’s why the isps always advise doing so.

Have you checked the Three coverage status checker to see if there are any issues local to you?

Mines always saying there is an issue being fixed.
Yes, I've phone them up and they've said they can see no issues on their end. I've got them to send me out a replacement router but by the sound of things that's not going to help me. Very annoying - we moved in here about 1.5 months ago and the service was perfect until about 1 month in.

Yes, I've phone them up and they've said they can see no issues on their end. I've got them to send me out a replacement router but by the sound of things that's not going to help me. Very annoying - we moved in here about 1.5 months ago and the service was perfect until about 1 month in.

Mine was too back in September of 2019 100Mbps all day long, didn't miss a beat. Then October arrived and it was like a completely different service, it started acting up with the hanging pages issue, then slower speeds in the evening. Jan 2020 arrived and it went down hill drastically, days sporadically connecting and disconnecting and as time progressed slower and slower.

I've documented on here my experience with three's customer service (if you can call it that.), but the reality is they are not bothered, for every one customer that leaves them, they sign up another 5, which in a nutshell explains why contention is a massive issue for them.

They are slowly improving though. My area was sub 5mbps all day long and my previous house had upgrades and 90mbps all day long.

here I can get that if I aggregate band 20 and 32.
Just keep complaining and get your money back every month or just leave and switch to a fixed solution.

sky FTTP 145/25 is a godsend for us.

I've just spent the whole day working by tethering off my phone on Three 4G and had zero issues. Perhaps I need to drop down to a 4G broadband package - seems like I would get more consistent performance.

Unfortunately the only fixed solution available is bog standard ADSL so I really don't want to be switching to that unless I absolutely have to.

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules