Sponsored Links

Three Broadband Hopeless (but mobile browsing works)

TJ5566

Hi all,

A bit of a technophobe here, but please bear with me.

I have both a Three mobile contract and Three Wireless Home Broadband box.

The home broadband has been terrible for weeks - slow, dropping out and sometimes no internet at all for up to 48 hours.

What I don't understand is that internet works fine on my phone. Why would one work but not the other? Both the phone and the home broadband box contain a Three SIM. Surely they don't use different masts?

Three customer service has been appalling. The only way I can reliably use the internet is to tether my devices to my phone. This rapidly wipes out all my data - which Three charge me for, even though it's due to their home broadband not working!

They outright refuse to send an engineer round, never call back when they promise to, frequently hang up on me etc etc.

If they could just make their broadband SIM work like their mobile SIM then there would be no problem.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

Quite likely the router uses a different APN.
There have been many discussions around this lately, many complaints.
If you can change it to what your phone has, maybe the situation will improve.

I believe the APN for internet is 3internet and for mobile is three.co.uk ... Good luck.

What Lucian says is accurate - have a browse of the other topics (in the dedicated Mobile Internet sub-section) for more discussion around this.

It also sounds like you expect fixed line SLAs to be applied to mobile (as you expect them to send an engineer to you) - that'll never happen - would you expect one when your mobile is having issues?!

But why not put your router's SIM into your phone when you find it necessary to tether, then you wouldn't be using up your phone SIM data, rather the broadband one?

Sponsored Links
What Lucian says is accurate - have a browse of the other topics (in the dedicated Mobile Internet sub-section) for more discussion around this.

It also sounds like you expect fixed line SLAs to be applied to mobile (as you expect them to send an engineer to you) - that'll never happen - would you expect one when your mobile is having issues?!

But why not put your router's SIM into your phone when you find it necessary to tether, then you wouldn't be using up your phone SIM data, rather the broadband one?
That is an absolutely superb suggestion!!! Why didn't I think of that? 🙈

More to the point, why didn't any of Three's 'experts' think of it either! 😠

Hi,

Quite likely the router uses a different APN.
There have been many discussions around this lately, many complaints.
If you can change it to what your phone has, maybe the situation will improve.

I believe the APN for internet is 3internet and for mobile is three.co.uk ... Good luck.
Thanks for the suggestion. Bearing in mind I'm a complete luddite, how do I that? ;)

That is an absolutely superb suggestion!!! Why didn't I think of that? 🙈

More to the point, why didn't any of Three's 'experts' think of it either! 😠
Because they're just reading from their scripts?

Thanks for the suggestion. Bearing in mind I'm a complete luddite, how do I that? ;)

These should help...
Instructions that are probably close enough to what you need to do:

Three's APN settings:

Click on network settings, internet connection tab should appear, scroll down to APN list, add one for three.co.uk for profile name and APN, put admin for user name, leave password blank, tick the set as default profile and click save.

Your router light will go red for a second then blue, give it 10 seconds and you'll be up and running on the CGNAT APN.

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules