Sponsored

Three Home Broadband ZTE MC801A - External Antenna

bon

Pro Member
Very possibly. My original B06 didn't seem to work with the external antenna but I probably didn't give enough time to test. My other B06, well I updated it to B09 almost immediately and external antenna works just fine.

I know WelshPaul said his B06 didn't allow external antennas either.

CanOfFanta7

Very possibly. My original B06 didn't seem to work with the external antenna but I probably didn't give enough time to test. My other B06, well I updated it to B09 almost immediately and external antenna works just fine.

I know WelshPaul said his B06 didn't allow external antennas either.
How did you update to B09

Andyzzzz1

Casual Member
Hi

I enabled the antenna and connected a 5g antenna. Inconsistent 5g signal then improved to a solid signal. After approx a week the Antenna connection just stopped. Reset the device, even replace the antenna and no difference. 3 are saying there is no issue with the local 5g mask. Firmware version has not changed. Conclusion is the device is faulty. 3 technical help are useless so having to just return the device.

meritez

ULTIMATE Member
Hi

I enabled the antenna and connected a 5g antenna. Inconsistent 5g signal then improved to a solid signal. After approx a week the Antenna connection just stopped. Reset the device, even replace the antenna and no difference. 3 are saying there is no issue with the local 5g mask. Firmware version has not changed. Conclusion is the device is faulty. 3 technical help are useless so having to just return the device.

Hi,

Has the mc801a been moved at all, as the mc801a antenna ports are soldered and can break.

Andyzzzz1

Casual Member
Thanks Meritez

Yes. It lives on top of my server rack and flipped onto its side a couple of times when I was moving the rack.

Returning to Three as I was in the 14 day cooling off period. Will try again and this time put on one of the shelves. As it is using the external antenna now I don't need to worry about it being in a metal cage.

meritez

ULTIMATE Member
The router did it automatically.

Has anyone figured out how to add external antenna ports to the MC801a? I know router-mods does it but sod £100, I'd rather attempt it myself

Have you seen their prices for pre-modified routers, ZTE MF286 for £1000 instead of £69.

Andyzzzz1

Casual Member
Hi all I am going to spend more time investigating over the weekend but B09 appears to break the support for the external antenna.

I am going to contact Three as well but expect this will be a waste of time. Anyone on B09 think that their external antenna is still working?

bon

Pro Member
Hi all I am going to spend more time investigating over the weekend but B09 appears to break the support for the external antenna.

I am going to contact Three as well but expect this will be a waste of time. Anyone on B09 think that their external antenna is still working?
Mine worked on B09, yes. But Im not using a Three flashed MC801a but rather a German sotel model, if that makes any difference.

petch

Casual Member
Hi everyone, just got my Three router (MC801A) and Poynting XPOL-1-5G 2x2 MIMO Omni-Directional Antenna. I've bought some SMA to TS9 adapters but using the external antenna seems to have no effect.

I've read through posts here and on another thread and gone to the hidden antenna switching menu and enabled it, restarted the router but no luck. If I put the router in my window, near 100MB/s. Under the desk, 50MB/s. Under the desk with external antenna in the window, still 50MB/s. The signal strength goes from around -70dBm to -85, external antenna being attached has no effect.

Starting to pull my hair out! Any advice?

Edit: I can't help but wonder if the piddly little TS9 ports can't output enough oomph to overcome the 5m of cabling to the antenna, or maybe my antenna is dead? I've no way of debugging this

Edit 2: the lower antenna port seems a bit wobbly - is this the case for anyone else? Wonder if I've broken something. Also I'm on software version V1.0.0B04 - it tells me there is no update (I see people talking about B09?)

eccles

ULTIMATE Member
Several people have experienced problems with the antenna sockets being very weak because they are soldered directly to the PCB without any reinforcement. Couple that with tight fit DS9 plugs and the joints can easily be broken. If your socket is wobbly I think you might have discovered the problem.
After all the others having problems I abandoned any thoughts of using an external antenna and made up a little stand like an upended bookshelf for the window sill and put the router on that. It doesn't look too untidy and works fine.

AshOnFire1989

Pro Member
Several people have experienced problems with the antenna sockets being very weak because they are soldered directly to the PCB without any reinforcement. Couple that with tight fit DS9 plugs and the joints can easily be broken. If your socket is wobbly I think you might have discovered the problem.
After all the others having problems I abandoned any thoughts of using an external antenna and made up a little stand like an upended bookshelf for the window sill and put the router on that. It doesn't look too untidy and works fine.
Do you think re-soldiering the points might help or no?

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo code: BIGBANG
  • Shell Energy £20.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • NOW £22.00
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £70 Reward Card
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Community Fibre £17.99
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Speed: 158Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo code: BIGBANG
  • Vodafone £25.00
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £27.00
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (4221)
  2. BT (3183)
  3. Politics (2152)
  4. Building Digital UK (2042)
  5. Openreach (1998)
  6. FTTC (1931)
  7. Business (1872)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1632)
  9. Statistics (1525)
  10. 4G (1400)
  11. FTTH (1372)
  12. Virgin Media (1302)
  13. Ofcom Regulation (1252)
  14. Fibre Optic (1247)
  15. Wireless Internet (1246)
  16. Vodafone (940)
  17. 5G (926)
  18. EE (922)
  19. TalkTalk (832)
  20. Sky Broadband (795)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules