Sponsored Links

Three Home-Fi & CGNAT

nickcal

Casual Member
I recently signed up for the Three Home-Fi unlimited package. I haven't used the router provided as I already had a Huawei 5186 setup - so I just swapped SIM cards.

Today I was trying to get dynamic DNS and port-forwarding working to allow me to access a few CCTV cameras I have.

I don't seem to be able to get it work. Having looked around forums it looks like it could be a CGNAT issue? But if Three are pitching the Home-Fi product as a broadband replacement - so this would be an issue if it is the case.

Anyone else on Home-Fi managed to solve this problem? I have seen work-arounds using L2TP - but that is another monthly cost I would like to avoid...

ta

Sadly CGNAT is also a problem with some fixed line broadband providers too, although the degree to which it negatively impacts end-users often depends upon the system being used. In any case getting around it can sometimes be a bit tricky but the first "port of call" (pun intended) should be to contact Three and ask them if they can resolve the problem on their end.

Failing that you could always try a cheap VPN service like NordVPN, although whether or not this works may depend upon the setup of your cameras (if you're trying to host the cameras yourself over this connection then that's not really ideal for a consumer mobile plan or cheap VPN).

Another option you could try is the free plan from ngrok, which essentially "tunnels" your connection to the cameras through a third-party server. This is actually more designed for when your connection is acting as a server for something but I think in theory it should work for getting around CGNAT more generally. As it's free you've nothing to lose by trying.

I think I managed to get it working!

The Three 4G router (Huawei) was connected to a Unifi USG router (the old BT line also connected as backup). When I put the WAN IP from the USG into the Huawei routers DMZ option and setup dynamic DNS from the USG - it worked!!

Ideally both of the routers (BT and Three 4G) would be configured a Bridges. I managed to get the BT connection configured as a bridge, but it was an old HH5a using OpenWrt and the connection was 1/3 slower that the new BT SmartHub. I guess this is something to do with support for vectoring, g.inp, etc. ? However, I have no idea (and doubt) whether the Home-Fi would support a bridge mode! There is firmware for the 5186 available to provide bridge capability - I will try my luck with Three support!

Failing that I will try the options suggested, many thanks for those...

Sponsored Links
An update, I have managed to flash the Huawei E5186 I am running with firmware that enables bridge-mode. This forum gives the details link.

The router is now just a 4G modem. I have a ubiquiti USG router which now get the IP address. The dynamic DNS function of the USG works really well and I can do port-forwarding for CCTV etc.

The Three Home-Fi solution is proving to be really good. I have kept my BT FTTC as a backup, but so far I haven't needed it. It seems to offer a very credible home broadband option, with unlimited data for £22/month, at a good price point.

My next challenge is to install the external antenna!

Hey guys,

I'm jumping on this 2 years later but wondered if you could help? I'm really not well versed in this area.

I'm currently on Voxi (uses Vodafone network) using a Huawei 5g CPE PRO 2.

I need to setup port forwarding, but Voxi (and most other sim networks) use CGNAT and can't give me a static IP.

I was told to either get a port forward Sim (very Exp) or install home broadband..

I read here about Three Home Fi, does this option allow me to pop a 3 sim into my Huawei Router?

Hey guys,

I'm jumping on this 2 years later but wondered if you could help? I'm really not well versed in this area.

I'm currently on Voxi (uses Vodafone network) using a Huawei 5g CPE PRO 2.

I need to setup port forwarding, but Voxi (and most other sim networks) use CGNAT and can't give me a static IP.

I was told to either get a port forward Sim (very Exp) or install home broadband..

I read here about Three Home Fi, does this option allow me to pop a 3 sim into my Huawei Router?
If your router is unlocked yes you can. All I would say is make sure the APN is set to 3internet not three.co.uk.
PS: Please don't revive old threads, make a new one. Thanks :D

This seems to be a similar issue I am having, my Synology DDNS does not work so cannot access my NAS/CCTV and my XBOX has a double NAT.

I have the scancom 12/m month EE deal and Onestream FTTC

Unfortunately I do not understand the OP's fix and how to implement it onto my Synology RT2600 router and Zyxel 4Grouter :(

Sponsored Links
This seems to be a similar issue I am having, my Synology DDNS does not work so cannot access my NAS/CCTV and my XBOX has a double NAT.

I have the scancom 12/m month EE deal and Onestream FTTC

Unfortunately I do not understand the OP's fix and how to implement it onto my Synology RT2600 router and Zyxel 4Grouter :(
OP's fix is for three not EE.

If you pass ipv6 through does the issue go away?

I changed the LTE router to IPV6 only and now have an open NAT and can game perfectly with load balancing. :)

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5467)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1607)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules