Sponsored

Three Network 5G Home Broadband issues.

scoobyjones1

Pro Member
Just had my first outage on my home broadband 5G modem / router. I think it was 3 working on the network, East Sussex, roughly 1am for 15 minutes.
I thought it would be useful to start a thread just so that people could post their own issues as this is a relatively new product and this may even help 3 with their service.
Funny how this was about 1 hour after the end of my 14 day honeymoon!
Anyone else had a disconnect?

GavinAshford

ULTIMATE Member
Fairly common for late night early morning connectivity drops as remote software updates/patches/etc get pushed out to the various RAN hardware and/or core appliances

dabigm

ULTIMATE Member
I've definately seen a lot of drop outs the last few days. If my router fails over it means that it was unable to route any traffic through that WAN link. This is what i've seen yesterday alone:

Aug 4 21:05:11 EdgeRouter-X-5-Port ubnt-util: WLB: Load-Balance group G interface eth0 state changes to active.
Aug 4 21:18:03 EdgeRouter-X-5-Port ubnt-util: WLB: Load-Balance group G interface eth0 state changes to failover.
Aug 4 21:21:10 EdgeRouter-X-5-Port ubnt-util: WLB: Load-Balance group G interface eth0 state changes to active.
Aug 4 21:33:48 EdgeRouter-X-5-Port ubnt-util: WLB: Load-Balance group G interface eth0 state changes to failover.
Aug 4 21:43:56 EdgeRouter-X-5-Port ubnt-util: WLB: Load-Balance group G interface eth0 state changes to active.
Aug 4 21:57:19 EdgeRouter-X-5-Port ubnt-util: WLB: Load-Balance group G interface eth0 state changes to failover.
Aug 4 22:26:57 EdgeRouter-X-5-Port ubnt-util: WLB: Load-Balance group G interface eth0 state changes to active.
Aug 4 22:47:40 EdgeRouter-X-5-Port ubnt-util: WLB: Load-Balance group G interface eth0 state changes to failover.

scoobyjones1

Pro Member
I've definately seen a lot of drop outs the last few days. If my router fails over it means that it was unable to route any traffic through that WAN link. This is what i've seen yesterday alone:
what's your signal strength and SINR? Gotta say...mine has been lovely and stable apart from one or 2 work upgrades very early in the morning...

dabigm

ULTIMATE Member
what's your signal strength and SINR? Gotta say...mine has been lovely and stable apart from one or 2 work upgrades very early in the morning...

So RSSI is bad. Really bad. -113 dBm. Not at all normal. Now my speed is really bad too. Modem is in the exact same spot it normally is where I get 500-700 mbit.

Bit odd:

HnLxSy1.png

Of course the three checker says nothing is up.

dabigm

ULTIMATE Member
5 minutes later...

13501258227.png

two more failovers. Didn't move the modem, or even restart. No changes my end. So interestingly, google maps no longer thinks i'm in Birmingham (I'm not , i'm in Bedford but I presume Three's POP is in Birmingham) and now it thinks im in Nottingham. So perhaps I got changed to a different DC or they are having DC issues?

GavinAshford

ULTIMATE Member
So RSSI is bad. Really bad. -113 dBm. Not at all normal. Now my speed is really bad too. Modem is in the exact same spot it normally is where I get 500-700 mbit.

Bit odd:

HnLxSy1.png

Of course the three checker says nothing is up.
Interesting you mention -113 RSSI, I've seen a similar thing recently.
(I think -113 that's the lowest value possible, so it might be some kind of default)

Some background:
There was some MBNL work on my local mast in early July to replace the MW link, during/at the end of those works 5G was been enabled for the first time since the Huawei > Ericsson hardware swap back in mid-Feb.
At this point the RSSI dropped through the floor, from around -65/-63 down to -113.

Then earlier this week 5G was disabled again, and RSSI is back to 'normal'.

During the time that 5G was enabled, I did see some brief-ish periods of 'normal' RSSI levels, but its curious that even when forcing 4G only those RSSI levels were still reporting -113. Seemingly, for me, it takes the 5G bearer being disabled on the network side for RSSI to be normal.

1659720020878.png

scoobyjones1

Pro Member
-113 is really not good enough for a stable connection. The closer to zero the better....-90 would do...-75 is good.
Have you tried logging in to your router as you move it inch by inch, sideways, differnt angles, backwards on different window sills? Position is critical and a few cms either way can make all the difference with the little ZTE box. SINR (signal to noise ratio) is also important...that should be as high as possible....over 30 for a good connection.

GavinAshford

ULTIMATE Member
(normally) RSSI isn't really something that can be helped from the user side, effectively you can think of it it as a measure of load on the cell (i.e. how many simultaneous connections there are), though you shouldn't consider it, or any of the metrics, in isolation.

dabigm

ULTIMATE Member
I think -113 is basically no signal, or the extreme lowest. Let's just say i don't trust that number as it still works. As mentioned the other day, I just leave the modem where it is. I have in the beginning worked out the best place to put it and I just leave it there.

Logging into the router right now I see:

RSRQ
-17.0dB
RSRP
-95dBm
RSSI
<=-113dBm
SINR
-12dB
5G RSRP
-85dBm
5G RSRQ
-11.0dB
5G SINR
13dB

Yet its working totally fine.

I wonder though if these are 4G numbers and it doesn't care. But still, doesn't explain how you can have -113dBm and get this

3399246997893257-eeOEKUoF.png

I'm no expert in these things, but I have got several years of practical experience and I've listened to the real experts like Gavin. I don't know what happened to cause the RSSI to drop to that level, but it's still working at the moment.

Moving the modem around will only decrease the speed. And lets face it, it's the speed i'm after here not chasing the right metrics. More concerned about the number of dropouts i've had lately. Three has been so rock solid for me that I gave Virgin Media their marching orders. Now wondering if I should use my Lebara as a permanent backup to Three 5G

scoobyjones1

Pro Member
Your signal readings are weird! As you say there should be nothing coming down with figures like that. SINR is awful!
However your 5G RSRP is not too bad...good enough for the speeds you are getting so obviously there is some kind of signal there...maybe there is interference from something.

So if you look on the ZTE thread there are many people with the same issue...lot's of disconnects caused by a firmware update. What version firmware do you have? Some have asked 3 to roll back the firmware. In my case it bricked the router completely. I got a brand new one from 3 and now the latest firmware, B09, is working perfectly for me.

scoobyjones1

Pro Member
and in my case...yes...I thought I had found the best spot for the ZTE but things changed, 3 may have turned on another 5G mast or something so IMO it might be worth moving it again to try and get a stronger signal. With my router, the stronger the signal the faster the speeds (I'm sure Gavin would agree!)...I can get over 900 meg if I put the router in the upstairs window sill. Other windows only 600...so it does matter and signals can change. If the signal is not stable then you are bound to get drop outs...but sounds to me like it could be a firmware update which has caused issues for many people.
I realise you are on the Huawei box, which I think 3 are now phasing out...but that could still have had a bad firmware update, as did all of the ZTE boxes...maybe 3 might swap you onto a ZTE? Good luck.

dabigm

ULTIMATE Member
This modem is a privately purchased (i.e. not contract) Huawei 5G CPE Pro 2. But yeah i've seen the ZTE thread. I started it ;) if you mean my ZTE MC801A review thread

dabigm

ULTIMATE Member
so did your Huawei update the firmware? 3 could've forced that if you are using their SIM?
Auto update turned off. It doesn't appear to have changed firmware since the day I got it. I wonder if the carrier can actually force an update on a retail unit. I would have thought it would have to be running their firmware to do it?

I think this is probably three messing with power levels or doing some experiments. I really don't think it's me given the conditions my end have been unchanged since January and most of the time (like 95th percentile) its working fine and over 500mbit. It's only been recently (like within the last 7 days) that things have started to go a bit funny and I see some dropouts.

Actually re firmware, I remember now I did try to update it and there were no updates available.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo code: BIGBANG
  • Shell Energy £20.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • NOW £22.00
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £75 Reward Card
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Community Fibre £20.00
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £25.00
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £25.00
    Speed: 158Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo code: BIGBANG
  • Virgin Media £27.00
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (4204)
  2. BT (3181)
  3. Politics (2149)
  4. Building Digital UK (2042)
  5. Openreach (1995)
  6. FTTC (1931)
  7. Business (1866)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1629)
  9. Statistics (1525)
  10. 4G (1397)
  11. FTTH (1372)
  12. Virgin Media (1301)
  13. Ofcom Regulation (1251)
  14. Fibre Optic (1246)
  15. Wireless Internet (1244)
  16. Vodafone (940)
  17. 5G (923)
  18. EE (920)
  19. TalkTalk (832)
  20. Sky Broadband (795)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules