Sponsored Links

Three Network 5G Home Broadband issues.

If I had these figures on my 4G router I would expect to be dropping to 3G to get better download. Have no experience of 5G routers to know why you still connect at 5G successfully when you should by rights have no 4G upload.

I know. I don't understand the figures either. But it works?
Interestingly as I was replying to a comment, I had another failover event, and now look:

bleep.jpg

3 can...and do force firmware updates even if auto update is disabled. Many people found that on the forum what you wrote ;-)
Seems to me there are only 2 possibillities.
The firmware has changed.
Or the signal has changed.
Where I live, signals are changing rapidly as 3, EE and others add 5G masts, re-position 4G and also the freeview tv signals are being changed to open up more bandwidth for 5G suppliers.
If your firmware has never changed then it must be your signal. Just try locating it again and see what happens? You may get a more stable signal.
If not you may need an external antenna?
All the best.

I know. I don't understand the figures either. But it works?
Interestingly as I was replying to a comment, I had another failover event, and now look:

View attachment 3013
Here's a possible scenario, there are normally 3 antenna with each covering nominally 120 degree arc around the mast. Maybe on the 4G antenna you are in a zone where some overlap between two 4G antenna is going on and your failovers are swaps between the two 4G antenna. On the 5G you may be in a good zone for one 5G mast antenna hence the good downloads. If this is the issue then its another reason we should have 100% 5G and not this fudge solution.

3 can...and do force firmware updates even if auto update is disabled. Many people found that on the forum what you wrote ;-)
Seems to me there are only 2 possibillities.
The firmware has changed.
Or the signal has changed.
Where I live, signals are changing rapidly as 3, EE and others add 5G masts, re-position 4G and also the freeview tv signals are being changed to open up more bandwidth for 5G suppliers.
If your firmware has never changed then it must be your signal. Just try locating it again and see what happens? You may get a more stable signal.
If not you may need an external antenna?
All the best.

Yeah the Huawei is unmodified. And it's a retail one not a three one. I've only heard about three doing updates on three branded modems. I don't really fancy modding the Huawei I have two external antennas (see my avatar) but they're connected to my modified VN007 modem. Anyway, I'm not without internet or even experiencing serious issues. It has been rock solid for 6 months no problem.

Could try moving it but given I'm getting 600mbit at the moment I'm happy to leave it where it is for now. I've seriously spent hours wandering around my loft with both Huactl pro and the modem and speed testing it to find the best location in the house and i'm pretty certain i've got that down, even marked it on the rafters so I can be exact about it.

Right now, it's more of a mild annoyance that it occasionally drops out.

Yeah the Huawei is unmodified. And it's a retail one not a three one. I've only heard about three doing updates on three branded modems. I don't really fancy modding the Huawei I have two external antennas (see my avatar) but they're connected to my modified VN007 modem. Anyway, I'm not without internet or even experiencing serious issues. It has been rock solid for 6 months no problem.

Could try moving it but given I'm getting 600mbit at the moment I'm happy to leave it where it is for now. I've seriously spent hours wandering around my loft with both Huactl pro and the modem and speed testing it to find the best location in the house and i'm pretty certain i've got that down, even marked it on the rafters so I can be exact about it.

Right now, it's more of a mild annoyance that it occasionally drops out.
Yeah, sure....I get what you are saying...it is a pain to re-locate.
But if you installed it in January, a LOT has happened since then.
In my area we only got 5G a couple of months ago but even since then they have re-angled the old 4G masts and as kommando says, signals can overlap...you have a poor SINR which suggests noise from another ISP..or some kind of overlap which could have just occurred recently.

If you keep getting these drop outs then you will have no choice other than to try to find that sweet spot...yet again!

Also...could be that Huawei updated the firmware? That's a long shot...sounds like signal issues / interference issues to me.

What does it say on the 3 5G/ 4G coverage site? Your router may work better on a window sill than in the attic maybe by now if they have boosted the signal recently...

Yep if the problem continues i'll explore options. Including moving and maybe modding the Huawei and connecting it to my wideband antennas, although it's still under warranty for a few more months hence why im reluctant to do that at the moment.

We've had 5G here since 2019. And in 2020 they put up a new mast about 700m from me, which is the one I have the modem locked to at the moment. So for about 2 years, it's been fine, not saying nothing has changed it very well might have but the mast I use is the same.

As you've both mentioned, they can change antennas. They can also change the power levels too. Also check the Huactl pro screenshot I pasted earlier, levels are back to normal again. Same cell, same mast. -61dBm RSSI now

Sponsored Links
Yep if the problem continues i'll explore options. Including moving and maybe modding the Huawei and connecting it to my wideband antennas, although it's still under warranty for a few more months hence why im reluctant to do that at the moment.

We've had 5G here since 2019. And in 2020 they put up a new mast about 700m from me, which is the one I have the modem locked to at the moment. So for about 2 years, it's been fine, not saying nothing has changed it very well might have but the mast I use is the same.

As you've both mentioned, they can change antennas. They can also change the power levels too. Also check the Huactl pro screenshot I pasted earlier, levels are back to normal again. Same cell, same mast. -61dBm RSSI now
-61 is very good...and better than I'm getting...I am not familiar with the Huawei, however your signal to noise ratio is still bad. That should be 30+ for a stable service.
This suggests to me (no expert!) radio noise / interference issues which could be intermittent and therefore causing your box to attempt to re-connect.
Let us know how it pans out... it might just settle down when they finish updating the mast. They are having to add bandwidth all the time as more and more people join the service.

-61 is very good...and better than I'm getting...I am not familiar with the Huawei, however your signal to noise ratio is still bad. That should be 30+ for a stable service.
This suggests to me (no expert!) radio noise / interference issues which could be intermittent and therefore causing your box to attempt to re-connect.
Let us know how it pans out... it might just settle down when they finish updating the mast. They are having to add bandwidth all the time as more and more people join the service.
the 4G SINR is bad. I kind of always see this. The 5G SINR is good. If I set it to 4G only, then 4G SINR is good. Im not sure if it's just my modem.

We just had a brief outtage...exactly12 noon for 2 minutes.... must have been engineering works I guess....the router did not reboot. All good again now...still on B09 firmware.

In the last 7 days our Huawei modem has been peculiar. It's taking 10 minutes on a reboot and occasionally speeds like a 1980's modem, then a reboot fixes it (10 min wait).

Moved it around the house and still the reboot speed issues.

RSRQ -9.0dB
RSRP -97dBm
RSSI -70dBm
SINR 15dB

Is this a new problem, a router problem. Please don't make me ring three, it's hard work.

Sponsored Links
In the last 7 days our Huawei modem has been peculiar. It's taking 10 minutes on a reboot and occasionally speeds like a 1980's modem, then a reboot fixes it (10 min wait).

Moved it around the house and still the reboot speed issues.

RSRQ -9.0dB
RSRP -97dBm
RSSI -70dBm
SINR 15dB

Is this a new problem, a router problem. Please don't make me ring three, it's hard work.
looks to me that your signal is strong, however your signal / noise ratio is poor. Could there be something causing interference...like a TV, microwave, neighbours router?

I don't have the Huawei, I'm on the ZTE but a lot of people reported issues when their router upgraded the firmware.
Can you see what firmware you are on? Has it changed recently?

My ZTE on Three updated itself around 2AM...even though updates are "disabled". Three have upgraded the firmware to version B12 and so far it is running very well, as before. Anyone else been upgraded yet?

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules