Sponsored

Three network 5G roll out making gains

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
Aw what a bummer. 😢
Yeah, it’s one of the contributing facts as to why my 5G service was so ****. I do have a 5G mast just up the road from my house but the viaduct makes it all but useless

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
If the viaduct's unused, just remove a brick every so often, it will work eventually. ;)
It’s a highly active walkway 😢. If only I could….. don’t think Bradford council would be happy that I’ve deconstructed their 200 year old viaduct 😂😂

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
Planning permission I suppose but I don't think they would accept "I WANT THE 5GS FOR MY INTERNETTTTTT" as a valid reason
That's a valid reason though surely....

I submitted a similar coimoment with support for a Phase 8 recently to my local council.

EDIT:

My actuall comment was,

I support Three's application, the Hawkesley area severely lacks in mobile reception and this coverage addition will give options to residents for more reliable mobile service and also the option of another auperfast broadband provider

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
That's a valid reason though surely....

I submitted a similar coimoment with support for a Phase 8 recently to my local council.

EDIT:

My actuall comment was,

I support Three's application, the Hawkesley area severely lacks in mobile reception and this coverage addition will give options to residents for more reliable mobile service and also the option of another auperfast broadband provider
Hehe, I challenge the local MP to have 4 people all with multiple devices online at once use 50Mbps internet and not pull their hair out 👍

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
I certainly don’t😁
Atm I’m using my B535 in conjunction with an ECI Openreach modem (wish I’d got a huawei one but I can’t complain since I oly paid a pound for the ECI). This lets me get my BT connection into a decent router and when my connection fails it drops onto an EE Pay and go data sim. I bought one of the new Amazon only ones (£50 for 120GB that lasts a year (£4/mth for 10GB!) and I set up a direct debit so it’s due to double to 240GB next year!)

TallPaul_S

(y)

What do the 5G masts look like?

I was under the impression that 5G masts are not big, but small, however there are more of them to cover an area. Is that right or are they like the old 4G/3G masts. How much area does one 5G mast cover?

Is there a way of checking what's planned for Birmingham and where the existing masts are?
The new monopoles are bloody massive, 20m high vs an 11m 4g mast.
Screenshot_20210821_090514.jpg

This is my local one and the planning application documents, it'll dwarf the old 4g mast until it's removed
Screenshot_20210821_090824_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

They've put the cover on the base of my new one but no sign of the big crane to hoist the mast into place.

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
The new monopoles are bloody massive, 20m high vs an 11m 4g mast.
These masts seem to be designed as an alternative to major mast sites that cover larger areas, the older designs of monopoles in history have been more local coverage infillers and unless we want 100,000's of the 11m ones knocking round ever corner the 20m ones are better option in my opinion.

As for smaller 5G, the antenna for the 5G is smaller, much smaller than a 4G panel.

The mast in the planning there is also covering two networks for 5G, so that two sets of 5G antenna's aswell as the 4G panel in the middle which can still be shared.

CarlO1460

ULTIMATE Member
I wish Chester would have more 5G, especially Vodafone and O2 as I have a mast quite close but points the opposite way for 4G, and hope if they just added 5G equipment to this it would be 360 and make my dreams a reality.

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
hope if they just added 5G equipment to this
Not as easy as that unfortunately, I beleive existing radio kit needs some compatibility and highly likely up in Chester that it wouldn't be capable.

Vodafone seems to have hit a brick wall in my are with expanding 5G, and that is simply because there is nomore sites that can upgrade due to using 'too many' infill monopole sites.

As Vodafone and O2 over the years have only ever broadcast using low frequencies they are very much lacking in physical sites (specially rooftop or structures)

This is why EE is pretty much racing forward and Three also having access to a fair share of the same site space.

CarlO1460

ULTIMATE Member
Not as easy as that unfortunately, I beleive existing radio kit needs some compatibility and highly likely up in Chester that it wouldn't be capable.

Vodafone seems to have hit a brick wall in my are with expanding 5G, and that is simply because there is nomore sites that can upgrade due to using 'too many' infill monopole sites.

As Vodafone and O2 over the years have only ever broadcast using low frequencies they are very much lacking in physical sites (specially rooftop or structures)

This is why EE is pretty much racing forward and Three also having access to a fair share of the same site space.
I honestly feel aggrieved by the facing of this mast.

If I stand under it or the other side I get 100+ on both O2 and Vodafone, but my side in Handbridge, O2 very little, though my voxi sim outperforms O2 and Three here more lately.

Attachments

• C62DADE1-704F-4DC3-ABE0-C6FF274C808D.jpeg
    C62DADE1-704F-4DC3-ABE0-C6FF274C808D.jpeg
    69.9 KB · Views: 23

sja0001

Somewhat disappointed today. The pole I thought was for a new 5g mast was for another reason and the 5g pole has been refused planning permission. Oh well, the wait goes on......

The Wee Bear

ULTIMATE Member
Somewhat disappointed today. The pole I thought was for a new 5g mast was for another reason and the 5g pole has been refused planning permission. Oh well, the wait goes on......
Aw that's pants, I'd have been devastated if my 3 pole of wonder had been refused sja0001.

Hope it gets passed somewhere else for you.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Vodafone £19.50 (*22.50)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • NOW £20.00 (*32.00)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*25.00)
    Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: HYPERFALL21
  • Shell Energy £21.99 (*30.99)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.00 (*38.20)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £70 Reward Card
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £24.00 (*49.00)
    Speed: 300Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £24.00 (*27.00)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Community Fibre £25.00 (*27.50)
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £25.00 (*35.00)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: HYPERFALL21
  • Virgin Media £28.00 (*52.00)
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (3570)
  2. BT (3023)
  3. Politics (1941)
  4. Building Digital UK (1929)
  5. FTTC (1888)
  6. Openreach (1837)
  7. Business (1693)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1480)
  9. Statistics (1410)
  10. FTTH (1365)
  11. 4G (1277)
  12. Fibre Optic (1174)
  13. Virgin Media (1173)
  14. Wireless Internet (1163)
  15. Ofcom Regulation (1149)
  16. Vodafone (846)
  17. EE (835)
  18. 5G (772)
  19. TalkTalk (769)
  20. Sky Broadband (747)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules