Sponsored

Three network 5G roll out making gains

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
That's rubbish, did they not give a reason why they no likey JP? :(
Not at this timr NO.

To be honest if the rate at which Three keep getting masts refused carries on I can't see them really succeeding without some major shakeup of the MBNL deal,

Three don't seem to be doing upgrades on existing MBNL structure anymore round here, currently only new monopole sites seem to be getting the full range of roll out (ie. 5G, Band 28/32)

What I know right now is that if things don't start moving in the right direction I'll not be a customer too long, just trying to stream music on my commute is a struggle at the moment with 4G....

I'm considering an upgrade to a 5G device to add that extra little bit of resilience but honestly not happy I'm having to think that way.

I'm also looking at something as a backup via Vodafone now too.

dabigm

Top Member
Not at this timr NO.

To be honest if the rate at which Three keep getting masts refused carries on I can't see them really succeeding without some major shakeup of the MBNL deal,

Three don't seem to be doing upgrades on existing MBNL structure anymore round here, currently only new monopole sites seem to be getting the full range of roll out (ie. 5G, Band 28/32)

What I know right now is that if things don't start moving in the right direction I'll not be a customer too long, just trying to stream music on my commute is a struggle at the moment with 4G....

I'm considering an upgrade to a 5G device to add that extra little bit of resilience but honestly not happy I'm having to think that way.

I'm also looking at something as a backup via Vodafone now too.

I too feel the pain. Right now on my local authority website there are 12 applications to fit a 5G mast. 8 of them have been denied, 3 approved and 1 pending. The excuses the council come out with are full on idiotic; the one near my house ? "It would spoil the view", except the "view" is an Industrial estate.

They're fine with putting one up in a Tesco car park, fine with putting one up in the middle of bloody nowhere, but near houses ? ohhhhhh no. Too big. Too unsightly, too much disruption to the pavement, did not show alternatives.

Oh and every single application has some tinfoil hat brigade nutter talking about "ionising radiation" (lol, it isn't but ok) and the supposed health dangers of 5G. And instead of saying "no proof" or that there's a consensus that it's safe the response is that studies will be conducted 🤦‍♂️

Honeslty I really truly despise the luddites in Bedford Borough Council. I wrote to them about it, and the broadband guy went off an enormous rant about how if BBC had done nothing, there would be no broadband here at all... so apparently BBC personally fitted FTTC in Bedford, out of their own pocket apparently...

I've given up hope of getting any 5G mast near me. I can just about pick up another mast, but the SINR is poor and thus the speed is too. MBNL last put in a plan for a mast near me in November 2020 and seem to have totally given up on that site now :rolleyes:

The Wee Bear

ULTIMATE Member
Oh I should be dishing out hugs n kisses to North Ayrshire Council for approving mine then dabigm. :love:

The 27th is getting nearer now, the date for my test hole.

Please let the hole be the bestest hole ever for a 3 pole of wonder. 🤞

zakir1988

ULTIMATE Member
Oh I should be dishing out hugs n kisses to North Ayrshire Council for approving mine then dabigm. :love:

The 27th is getting nearer now, the date for my test hole.

Please let the hole be the bestest hole ever for a 3 pole of wonder. 🤞
Lucky you government should do something about 5G mast monopole etc.. not getting approved no wonder Three and Vodafone have written to the government about 5G being essential that we need it. UK wont move forward at this rate.

China already looking at 6G lol

sja0001

Lucky you government should do something about 5G mast monopole etc.. not getting approved no wonder Three and Vodafone have written to the government about 5G being essential that we need it. UK wont move forward at this rate.

China already looking at 6G lol
Exactly the same issue here. Not one agreed as yet. I keep watching.

TallPaul_S

my three 5g mast got installed in the ground the other day looks smart. 20m high, just waiting for it go live. about 800metres from the pole should give a good return on fast speed
My new one has gone in overnight last night I think, it wasn't there at 6pm last night and it's been blowing a hooley all this morning...

View from the upstairs bedroom window...

Screenshot-20210927-163914-com-google-android-apps-photos.jpg

4g antennas installed, 5g going on in the next few days I'd think. The old 4g mast beside it is getting removed not expecting any signal before then.

That's 300m away with almost perfect line of sight. Currently getting 160-200mbps with line of sight, at 2.4km away... 🤣

zakir1988

ULTIMATE Member
Three
My new one has gone in overnight last night I think, it wasn't there at 6pm last night and it's been blowing a hooley all this morning...

That's 300m away with almost perfect line of sight.
You should be getting very good speeds as you live near the mast.

Let us know what speeds your getting when it goes live if you have a 5G device or 5G router don't expect uploads to be good as it still uses 4G for uploads.

In my eyes government not doing enough to push 5G to make it easier for networks to install 5G Councils keep refusing them for little things etc..

Lets stay still on 4G only, UK will stay way behind government said they want UK to be forefront in innovation in technology and get UK more connected online then people will be moaning about 5G when they realise services they use like netflix, prime etc.. On the go it does not support slow speeds.

speeds do move with on demand services most of the time exmaple say your streaming a 4K flim you will most likely get buffering if you dont have fast enough speeds that is capable of handling 4K speeds

TallPaul_S

I'm getting a solid 7-10mbps upload at the moment which is fine for multiple teams calls, voip calls, rdp etc with 2x people working from home.

That'll only improve with the new mast.

Lucian

ULTIMATE Member

4g antennas installed, 5g going on in the next few days I'd think. The old 4g mast beside it is getting removed not expecting any signal before then.

That's 300m away with almost perfect line of sight. Currently getting 160-200mbps with line of sight, at 2.4km away... 🤣
Looks very bucolic 👌😀

zakir1988

ULTIMATE Member
Seems like the planned upgrades works they did didnt go to plan slight problem they encountered now doing some emergency works.
Screenshot_20210928_105255.jpg

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
It's becoming clear to me that there is favourite operators with Birmingham City Council and Three is certainly not one of them or atleast not paying its dues!!!

All other applciations for new masts have moved forward swiftly, with O2's new indendant monopole being placed next to already new cornerstone VF one and build in progress with load of new cabs already in place.

zakir1988

ULTIMATE Member
It's becoming clear to me that there is favourite operators with Birmingham City Council and Three is certainly not one of them or atleast not paying its dues!!!

All other applciations for new masts have moved forward swiftly, with O2's new indendant monopole being placed next to already new cornerstone VF one and build in progress with load of new cabs already in place.
Not looking good for Three network in Birmingham eventually they will get it done installing 5G will taker longer then other networks.

In my area looks like EE and Vodafone have the most 5G coverage from what im seeing on there coverage checker in Tower Hamlets

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
Not looking good for Three network in Birmingham eventually they will get it done installing 5G will taker longer then other networks.

In my area looks like EE and Vodafone have the most 5G coverage from what im seeing on there coverage checker in Tower Hamlets
5G from EE isn't exactly as it appears on the maps, alot of deceiving from what I experianced trying EE's 5G a while back.

Not to mention the lack of MaMIMO is many setups and also the use of DSS.

zakir1988

ULTIMATE Member
5G from EE isn't exactly as it appears on the maps, alot of deceiving from what I experianced trying EE's 5G a while back.

Not to mention the lack of MaMIMO is many setups and also the use of DSS.
They do say coverage checker is only a guide as you know. EE boasting about being most available 5G network in UK which can be true but lack of suitable 5G set up only some EE, Three, 02 and Vodafone monopole/mast are fully equipped to give good 5G speeds.

My cousin brother who lives near a Three 5G mast only gives him over 200mbps speeds on his cpe pro you would expect better speeds as his Three mast is only 2min walk away from him.

What I'm thinking Three are doing cause UK government got rid of Huawei network some of there 5G equipment is Huawei so looks like they are focusing on putting in new planning application for monopoles / mast and those existing 5G monopole /mast with Huawei equipment are dealt with later as it will cost them more to remove and replace.

Three UK says its 5G plans are under threat if tower merger with Euro giant Cellnex is blocked​

Street lamps and bus shelters to help boost 5G roll out in £4 million trial​

We know some other countries already have done that on there 4G networks and have done the same with 5G its good deployment in urban areas mainly.

America have small cell 5G installed to lamp posts as you might know in urban areas.

zakir1988

ULTIMATE Member
First choice Huawei 5G equipment was early deployed in the UK cause of the ban they cant tweak it to give better speeds delay delays.

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
Three UK says its 5G plans are under threat if tower merger with Euro giant Cellnex is blocked
Glad you brought the Cellnex thing up as I forgot to mention something a while ago about an MBNL mast in my old area...

cellnex_1140-MBNL.jpg

I took this pic on 8th August, the new Cellnex sign is new, however no changes made to the mast in a couple years atleast now.

Tower broadcasts B3+B3 for EE and B1+B3 for Three.

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
Cellnex have a recent application in Chester for EE/Three existing rooftop upgrades, though complete opposite side of town for me, the reach would be perfect for a lot of other parts of the city.

They got upgrades for EE due on a rooftop mast a way out of my area too.

Just intrigued that Cellnex is basically the ones who will be upgrading all these old masts with issues, the fact seems to be that if that deal doesn't go through successfully that issues will continue.

I had said that issues seemed to relate to MBNL masts and now I think we can see why.

The question is just how much effort CellNex is going to put in to upgrading sites.

As for myself at the moment I'm shortly to be moving across the city, so now I'm starting to get myself aquainted with new area which by the looks of things needs alot of eNB mapping doing for CellMapper.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Vodafone £19.50 (*22.50)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • NOW £20.00 (*32.00)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*25.00)
    Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: ROKUGIFT
  • TalkTalk £21.00 (*29.95)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £21.99 (*30.99)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Vodafone £23.50 (*26.50)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Gigaclear £24.00 (*49.00)
    Speed: 300Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £25.00 (*35.00)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: ROKUGIFT
  • Community Fibre £27.50 (*32.50)
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: First 6 Months Free
  • Virgin Media £28.00 (*52.00)
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (3671)
  2. BT (3044)
  3. Politics (1975)
  4. Building Digital UK (1945)
  5. FTTC (1897)
  6. Openreach (1862)
  7. Business (1717)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1501)
  9. Statistics (1430)
  10. FTTH (1367)
  11. 4G (1295)
  12. Virgin Media (1197)
  13. Fibre Optic (1184)
  14. Wireless Internet (1176)
  15. Ofcom Regulation (1167)
  16. Vodafone (859)
  17. EE (845)
  18. 5G (792)
  19. TalkTalk (781)
  20. Sky Broadband (757)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules