Sponsored

Three network 5G roll out making gains

GavinAshford

ULTIMATE Member
That would explain a lot, There is already a huge multi network tower just across the road from this one O2, EE, Voda all on it but not 3, so this is probably why 3 went stand alone there, they have gastly coverage here

View attachment 1105

And the insult is the current local 5G mast drops out at the end of our road!

View attachment 1106
Looks like they're putting it in exactly the right place then

GavinAshford

ULTIMATE Member
As ever "it depends".

In a straight maxed out configuration with stand alone 5G in ideal signal conditions, theoretically, yes it will.
For your specific location and conditions probably, though don't forget 5G is NSA and it needs a 4G bearer too, it'll aggregate the 4G+5G together so the 5G throughput will be on top of whatever 4G the new site will give you, so comparing 5G vs 4G is impossible until stand alone comes along.

GavinAshford

ULTIMATE Member
Depending on the antenna orientations in the masts it might be better if you happen to be off-axis from your current cell but and new mast might be more direct center of the cell... Even if the angle into your window is shallow.
@Stageshoot from the planning application for it, the antenna bearings are at 90, 210 and 330 degrees - hopefully you're located along one of those alignments...

Stageshoot

@Stageshoot from the planning application for it, the antenna bearings are at 90, 210 and 330 degrees - hopefully you're located along one of those alignments...

Cheers, Thanks for that I could not find the info, Should be OK on the 90Deg beam them

The Red Dot is the new tower, Splodge of Cellmappper Green us
Image.png

Its certainly a lot.shorter throw than to our current tower.

Screenshot 2021-04-28 at 14.09.50.jpg

Stageshoot

OK, bit of an update on our situation (Could kick myself).

The Local 5G Mast is going live early may (They are coming back to fit the top section 4th to 6th May)

But I had ordered a CPE PR) Router in anticipation from Ebay, that arrived today, so I set it up to give it a go, and lo and behold it gets a steady signal from the other 5G Tower that is supposed to be out of range.

Getting a superb 320mbps steady download, only 10 to 15mbps but thats fine.. So could have done this over 6 months ago when that tower went in Anyway live and learn at least we have the speed now!!!.

So at the back of the house (Current 4G Tower), speeds seem similar or a bit better than my current 715s which was 50-70mbps down and 25-30 up
now getting 90-110 down and 25-30up

At the Front of the House, was a dead spot with the 715s, max was 10mbps down and 4 to 6 up.. Now getting 320+ down and 10-12up

Screenshot 2021-04-29 at 08.50.52.png

rang3.png

Stageshoot

Wow, well done, those are great download speeds!

Cheers yes very happy with it, just moved the router to a more stable position in the other front window and thats pushed it to a stable 430mbps download. Anything around that and I am over the moon. (Anything over 200 I am over the moon).. Upload is crud but I can live with that!!

Screenshot 2021-04-29 at 09.46.23.png

Lucian

ULTIMATE Member
That's great!
In theory, you can find the best position by logging in the UI and checking the device information for RSRP/SINR etc. Depending on firmware you might have a dedicated button for it (see attachment) or you can use one of Huawei's apps, such as AI Life.. that said, it looks like you hit a nice sweet spot already.
Shame 4G is used for the uploads..

Attachments

• Selection_201.jpg
    Selection_201.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 49

Stageshoot

Cheers yes it does have that button, I have a Chinese 372 so no UK Network crippled firmware. Am a bit limited in placement at mo as its in the wifes office window and I cant mess around with the layout too much.. But more than enough till the tower 400m away gos online in a couple of weeks.

We are 1.78km to this tower compared to 400m to the new one so will be interesting to see if that makes a difference

Screenshot 2021-04-29 at 10.46.jpg

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
JP, what is the pitfalls of capacity when it comes to MBNL? Are they sharing microwave antenna to hub sites etc, or some part of back haul, which complicates matters further?
I can't be sure of the pitfalls tbh, sites vary a lot in configuration.

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
Will the 700MHz b28 give better speeds than the 4+ b3 & b20?
The initial numbers don't look great for n28 5G, based on a 2x2 configuration at 10mhz I only see about 110mbps coming of it.

Potentially though it could be configured 8x8 and achieve 440mbps, when pair with 4G this could peak at 1Gbps...

These figure may not be accurate but I figure a good ballpark figure.

GavinAshford

ULTIMATE Member
The initial numbers don't look great for n28 5G, based on a 2x2 configuration at 10mhz I only see about 110mbps coming of it.
That feels about right tbh.

Potentially though it could be configured 8x8 and achieve 440mbps, when pair with 4G this could peak at 1Gbps...

These figure may not be accurate but I figure a good ballpark figure.
No UE supports 8x8, so while the cell antenna could see a combined theoretical max, a single device wouldn't.

IgNG

Pro Member
I'm off to the 3 shop this afternoon to find out about local 5G, they're usually pretty good for info.

IgNG

Pro Member
Well as expected, they lied. They told me the engineers are working on my mast because someone complained last week. I told them the 5G signal dropped last November. They have different staff these days.

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
I'm not personally a fan of any phone shop. I especially hate EE/BTs (they share shops these days as you may have noticed). I was blatantly lied to and got put on a contract for 36 months which was much much more than I was told and that I can afford.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £15.00 (*25.00)
    Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £19.50 (*22.50)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • NOW £20.00 (*32.00)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £21.99 (*30.99)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99 (*38.20)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £65 Reward Card
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*35.00)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £24.00 (*27.00)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Community Fibre £25.00 (*29.50)
    Speed: 300Mbps, Unlimited
  • Gigaclear £27.00 (*59.00)
    Speed: 500Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £27.00 (*51.00)
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (3499)
  2. BT (3008)
  3. Politics (1923)
  4. Building Digital UK (1917)
  5. FTTC (1882)
  6. Openreach (1821)
  7. Business (1675)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1469)
  9. Statistics (1405)
  10. FTTH (1364)
  11. 4G (1271)
  12. Fibre Optic (1165)
  13. Virgin Media (1159)
  14. Wireless Internet (1151)
  15. Ofcom Regulation (1139)
  16. Vodafone (836)
  17. EE (830)
  18. TalkTalk (760)
  19. 5G (760)
  20. Sky Broadband (744)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules