Sponsored Links

Three network 5G roll out making gains

I’m not too sure, I previously thought they were recognised as old/dated information masts as I have a few near me but only when I select for 2G searching so it could be they’ve updated those masts and yet to be picked up by enough users to report as active.

Someone else here may be able to comment further.

From cellmapper web site - On map, we show towers red pointer or green. Red tower means it's automatic located using uploaded data from our app. Green means it's manually located by someone of users. You see user's on map on box "Extra Data".

Yep, as above

Red = best guess based on the user uploaded data - if minimal data for a single cell has been uploaded then the actual position could be way off.

Green = someone has manually moved a mast, either because they know for sure where it is, or they've figured it out from cross references (mast shares/Google maps/etc).

2/3G sites on cellmapper are generally less interesting, so don't get looked at as much.

Yep, as above

Red = best guess based on the user uploaded data - if minimal data for a single cell has been uploaded then the actual position could be way off.

Green = someone has manually moved a mast, either because they know for sure where it is, or they've figured it out from cross references (mast shares/Google maps/etc).

2/3G sites on cellmapper are generally less interesting, so don't get looked at as much.
So how long does it take for new masts to appear on there?

New mast near me (Granted it's VF) I've connected to it whilst I've had cellmapper open. Cellmapper has no idea of what the mast is in terms of ID Etc. I've then uploaded all the relevant data.

Do you mean the cellmapper app itself doesn't report the eNB on the 'Cells' page? Usually the masts update within a fairly short timeframe (less than a day, perhaps a little longer sometimes). The signal trails are the bit that take a long time - it's not unheard of for them to take weeks.

Do you mean the cellmapper app itself doesn't report the eNB on the 'Cells' page? Usually the masts update within a fairly short timeframe (less than a day, perhaps a little longer sometimes). The signal trails are the bit that take a long time - it's not unheard of for them to take weeks.
Yeah. The ENB was classed as unknown (I think)

This is a new mast, part of the VF Unwind.

The other mast is still sat there and in assuming is still being used by 02. (This has the original ENB)

This new one has no ENB. Connected to it a few times whilst I've had cellmapper on the go then made sure to upload everything, as of yet nothing has appeared though on the map

If the app cannot determine an eNB then it won't be seen as 'good' data and the cellmapper map won't include it. Do you have a screenshot of what you see in the app?

If the app cannot determine an eNB then it won't be seen as 'good' data and the cellmapper map won't include it. Do you have a screenshot of what you see in the app?
I'll have to go back out and take one when I'm connected to it.

What stops the app from figuring out the ENB?

That's why I asked for the screenshot - I'm not sure.

What phone do you have?
S21.

I'll need to double check when I'm near it again and see if if the new mast is what's giving the 5G and the older mast providing the 4G etc.

Or whether the new mast is providing everything.

I could try losing the 5G connection and see where the 4G connection is connecting me too, that way, if it's the new mast, then it should pick up the ENB, if it's the old mast then it'll show the ENB that's already known on Cellmapper.

I think that makes sense.

Exynos chipset I guess? Historically those aren't great for using with cellmapper, they've never really reported correct data, so that might be why it's showing as unknown - so it doesn't load duff data to the databases.

Exynos chipset I guess? Historically those aren't great for using with cellmapper, they've never really reported correct data, so that might be why it's showing as unknown - so it doesn't load duff data to the databases.
It is yeah. Hmm. Everything else I've reported has been fine?

I'll try what I mentioned above at some point tomorrow

I've been impressed with the Three 5g broadband offering, my speed test's are between 500mbs and 600mbs and at £24 a month it's great value especially compared to my Virgin which is fixed at 380mbs for £62.50 a month. Think a switch is called for!

Not sure this is related to the 5G rollout, but I was on holiday around Wales over the past week. Drove around all parts from Snowdonia down to Freshwater East and I was AMAZED at the 4G+ coverage around the place.

There are monopoles (probably 4G only ones) everywhere - compared to my O2 sim, the coverage was fantastic.

If Wales are anything to go by, perhaps Three are happy to suck in London, and actually be half decent everywhere else.

My experience of Three broadband on 4G has been positive too. We've been with them for nearly two years, despite living opposite the telephone exchange (long story - we bought a house and lived in a caravan on the drive while we gutted the place, so a phone line would have been awkward).

Things got a bit rocky while they were doing a network upgrade early last year, but we were only without a service for one day (plus the big Three meltdown of a couple of years ago). In the last six months speeds have roughly doubled from what we had two years ago - we occasionally see 100Mb/s, routinely 70-90Mb/s even in the evenings.

We're coming up to the end of our Three contract, and now we're in the house I was expecting to go for FTTC at this point (no fibre here). Given that our 4G speeds are comparable with the best we're likely to see from FTTC even with the cabinet just over the road, though, I don't see the point in switching. We're paying £21 pm, and if things do go wrong I can drop in a EE SIM and carry on - can't do that with a telephone line!

Only just realised today that 3 have the most coverage in my home city of Hull. I've never ever considered them. Maybe I should going forward. Especially at the rate they're banging planning applications in haha

Three UK did best in Hull (51.5%)

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules