Sponsored Links

Three network 5G roll out making gains

Yeah! although it probably wont cover me, since the band 3 mast is much closer.
Your 5G device should be able to tune into 5G from that mast (or other) you photographed even through LTE is coming from elsewhere.

Your 5G device should be able to tune into 5G from that mast (or other) you photographed even through LTE is coming from elsewhere.
I hope so, but as band 1 from that mast never reached me (band 20,32 and 3 does but my phone connects to a closer mast), im not so sure with it being high frequency.

That's a very good point, and thinking about it mine does just that. The 5g mast is beyond the 4G but I do get a decent 5g signal (most of the time anyway).

I hope so, but as band 1 from that mast never reached me (band 20,32 and 3 does but my phone connects to a closer mast), im not so sure with it being high frequency.
The problem there I guess is that your router prefers the stronger signal of the nearby mast, it doesn't mean the other mast's band 1 does not reach you. I think you'll get your 5G.. fingers crossed. :)

So here in Maidstone we currently have 4 5g enasbled Three masts - in my current house I've been using Three 5G via the CPE Pro router since January, I'm 900m away from my nearest mast, but in a dip so not line of sight - there's various trees/houses in the way. I get 100/5mbps speeds reliably, UL sometimes less or more, same for DL. Ping is around 15ms so really good. Since I've had it I've not had too many issues. Only real complaint has been needing a bit better upload, when it's at 3-4mbps it can be slow, especially with 2 people working from home, with a mixture of VOIP calls, RDP and Teams calls going on at the same time.

I'm about to move house in the next few weeks so obviously, checked out the 5G coverage. Also regular internet, of which there is FTTC at around 50mbps as the only option. Both the Three checker and nperf maps gave zero 5G coverage at the new place. But... as the new house is basically at the highest point in the town, we have almost uninterrupted LOS to the same mast that I'm currently connected to, but 2.4km away...

In a downstairs room, facing the direction of the mast, I got 160/6 speeds and 18ms with only a single change of router location.

Upstairs, looking the same way... 270/25 with 13-14ms ping! :D

And, even better - there's an old 4G mast 300m away, with direct line of sight from an upstairs window, in the opposite direction to the existing mast (can actually see it from the window), which has had planning permission for an additional 5G Three/EE mast to be installed right next to it (old one removed going by the plans), and there's work being done there right now with skips worth of dirt being excavated, huge rolls of ducting etc so I'd imagine the monopole will be installed in the next few days.

This is the mast site:
image.png

And the plans:
image.png

What's the normal time scale for an additional 5g mast to be turned on once installed?

Last edited:
What's the normal time scale for an additional 5g mast to be turned on once installed?
Good question. I don't actually know the answer to this and it's something that i've always wanted to know.

Pretty sure there was a new EE/3 one near me that had been up around 5-6 months before it was activated.

VF tend to update their coverage map often, plus they have the planned coverage in the next 3 months, which kind of helps figure things out too.

Could be days, weeks, or months.... some others here are still waiting since early in the year for theirs to be enabled after the pole went up back then.

What's the postcode of this? Unfortunately nothing in your post, or images gives any clues as to where this is!

Well the current work has finished at the site, and from a quick drive by look they've done all the ground work and the mast base and cabinets have been installed there, no pole as, yet. Will keep an eye out for any more planned work on the site.

You may find the pole gets installed during a night time, depending on how busy the roads/paths are around it. Also depends on the winds, it might have been postponed if it's as gusty there this week as it has been here.

Well the current work has finished at the site, and from a quick drive by look they've done all the ground work and the mast base and cabinets have been installed there, no pole as, yet. Will keep an eye out for any more planned work on the site.
It's the same for me in cardiff, cabs are all in but no pole. There is roadworks on one.network at the spot for next week so hopefully not long now

It's the same for me in cardiff, cabs are all in but no pole. There is roadworks on one.network at the spot for next week so hopefully not long now

Our Pole went in Late April 2021, all cabinets etc. Nothing at all happened till Late June 2021 when a bit of the road was dug up and Fibre connected (So the engineers said). Then again nothing at all.

Yesterday Late July 2021 Ericsson Engineers working in box, said it was going to enter a testing phase shortly but dont hold your breath!!.. So not expecting anything this side of autumn.

Luckily still getting very decent download speeds from a 5g tower over a mile and a half away.. But still wishing this one 1/4 mile away would light up..

So dont get too excited when the pole goes in

Our Pole went in Late April 2021, all cabinets etc. Nothing at all happened till Late June 2021 when a bit of the road was dug up and Fibre connected (So the engineers said). Then again nothing at all.

Yesterday Late July 2021 Ericsson Engineers working in box, said it was going to enter a testing phase shortly but dont hold your breath!!.. So not expecting anything this side of autumn.

Luckily still getting very decent download speeds from a 5g tower over a mile and a half away.. But still wishing this one 1/4 mile away would light up..

So dont get too excited when the pole goes in
same for me. Pretty sure our pole was fibre connected early July, as the pole itself was finally finished off construction wise in June. However it still isn’t live today. I personally expect that it’s in the testing phase which will take months probably. Funnily enough CityFibre are beginning a roll out in my street very shortly, be funny if they beat EE/3 on install time frames

Last edited:
Three have upgraded one of my local masts to 5g although the 5G isn't active yet, I have also noticed that although the other local sites haven't had any noticeable upgrades, performance has improved massively, I got this from a Band 3,20 only site

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210807-151518_Service mode RIL.jpg
    Screenshot_20210807-151518_Service mode RIL.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 150
  • Screenshot_20210807-151502_Speedtest.jpg
    Screenshot_20210807-151502_Speedtest.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 147
Mine has also gone up to 70mbs and I seem to have a 100m circle of 4G around me, while all the rest has 5G! Does this mean it’s imminent?

Mine has also gone up to 70mbs and I seem to have a 100m circle of 4G around me, while all the rest has 5G! Does this mean it’s imminent?
If 5G is that close it may just be that it cannot quite reach you, the upgraded mast in my area doesnt reach me even if i lock my phone to band 1(i get no service but it is being broadcast), although band 32,20 did reach me from it when there was a local outage with the closer masts.

Any updates in Birmingham, I have been waiting for ages. According to the 3 coverage checker, We have 5G coverage all around except for a few streets...

(y)

What do the 5G masts look like?

I was under the impression that 5G masts are not big, but small, however there are more of them to cover an area. Is that right or are they like the old 4G/3G masts. How much area does one 5G mast cover?

Is there a way of checking what's planned for Birmingham and where the existing masts are?

(y)

What do the 5G masts look like?

I was under the impression that 5G masts are not big, but small, however there are more of them to cover an area. Is that right or are they like the old 4G/3G masts. How much area does one 5G mast cover?

Is there a way of checking what's planned for Birmingham and where the existing masts are?
They are fairly the same if not bigger as the 3G/4G ones. They have exposed panels and little square boxes at the top for the 5G. Pic of one coming soon….

~~~~~EDIT~~~~~

heres a pic

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5467)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1607)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules