Sponsored

Three Network major outage 17/10/2019

Verita

Casual Member
Three Network are currently experience a major outage, seemingly nationwide. International travellers using Three SIMs and roaming also seem to be affected, according to Twitter posts overnight.

The only reason so far provided seems to be from a Twitter post by a private individual, Peter Clarke:

"3G failing due to Gateway GPRS Support Node (GGSN) rejecting connection. GGSN is a core router between NB (mast) and internet. 4G being rejected due to Serving Gateway/Packet Data Network, also core routers between eNB and wider world. "

Three's web site and ThreeSupport twitter feed is also silent.

Hashtag #threedown seems to be the only source of information at the moment. Downdetector posts are here:

My own Three Homefi 4G router started flashing a red light (no service) at about 23:30 last night. Neither it, not my Android phone are showing any data connection, either on 3G or 4G.

This post brought to you courtesy of the BT Fon network. :)

Verita

Casual Member
Service now returned to 'normal.' 0900. It did make me wonder about 'all eggs in one basket' with the mobile, broadband and VOIP phones all on Three, but the same would be true of any other ISP.

We shoved a new 24 port switch in the comms rack yesterday. I hope it's not linked to the outage. :cool:

Storyline

Casual Member
TL;DR Anyone know of a cheap adsl solution to have available as insurance?

Still not on in Liverpool and I agree with your egg comment but fortunately we have only recently moved our Internet connection to them and still have a Bt landline. Even more fortuitously I haven't got around to cancelling our much hated adsl connection which my wife pays for and which causes me increasing levels of guilt as each day goes by. Now, everything smells of roses and how wise I was to be extra cautious before ditching copper in favour of wireless, which I happen to mention over breakfast "That little bt router might be the spawn of the devil but it is amazing how it just comes to life despite having been turned off for weeks - now you understand why that £29 has still been coming out every month and I'm just so lucky that you haven't complained too much. Have a nice day at work darling ".

So now I have learned my lesson (not to push my luck too far) and need to find a new adsl ISP that will cost a very modest amount each month, with a service which won't complain about hardly even being used.

Anyone any ideas (of course I could just keep spare PAYG sim cards from different providers with credit on them, handy by the new 4G router) ?

TIA Paul

Verita

Casual Member
It's the first major Three outage for me in a decade, but that's no consolation if Der Internetz is vital for family life.

I have got a dual-sim phone with a Three and an a PAYG O2 SIM in it, which is a cheap form of fail-over, also thanks to all those good people with didn't rant about 'leechers' and have BT WiFi/Fon removed from their routers: I can hop onto next-door's FON for a usable signal.

Most BT broadband customers (or their parents) will have free access and a login.

I also have an ancient Mifi which takes any old SIM, so the Three outage was downgraded to 'mildly annoying'.

After a long time on 3G and then 4G broadband, the thing that usually fails is the router, generally after about three years. I have a backup. :)

kommando828

Pro Member
I have a multi WAN Draytek, 2 WAN connections, one to Three and the other to Vodafone, no outage on Three but covered if it does ever happen.

sentup.custard

ULTIMATE Member
It's all my fault! I ditched the landline some years ago and this is the first year since switching to Three that I haven't bothered buying someone else's PAYG card as a back-up.

sentup.custard

ULTIMATE Member
Im on 3 and had no problems
My sister in Staffordshire didn't either. I'm in the London suburbs (NW10) and here it died around midnight, showed as back up around 8 a.m. but wouldn't actually connect to any sites, and was back properly about 9 a.m.
It's the first time in over three years that it's been down for more than about a quarter of an hour, and I wasn't planning on staying up all night anyway, so I'm not getting worked up about it, it was a minor inconvenience not a disaster.

Verita

Casual Member
There are still a few grumbles coming in from some parts of the country, 24 hours later.

The outage didn't prompt me to take drastic measures, but the level of fury on social media was eye opening.

It did open up a debate as to whether 4G broadband could be trusted, but my rural electricity supply gets cut off more often than the mobile comms so I guess it's a question of priority.

We get 'brown-outs' and power cuts during the winter, which has fried a couple of ADSL modems, but with 4G, the masts seem to stay up during power cuts, so a mobile phone with tethering or a Mifi acts as a battery backup. They can be driven off those mobile phone power packs for several hours.

I did consider a dual 4G WAN router or a load balancer, but it's easy to get into adding more layers of complication to home networks, where the end result becomes more stuff to fail/replace in three years time.

sentup.custard

ULTIMATE Member
I steer clear of antisocial media!
I don't have your power cut problems here, but various ISPs who I've been with in the past in my landline days have had outages from time to time for one reason or another and I don't consider Three's 4G offering any less trustworthy.
I just use an old Alcatel Y-800 plugged into a bog-standard HP desktop PC and it does the job. The service has worked fine most of the time, speeds are decent and it's affordable for someone like me who doesn't use a large amount of data per month, so I'm not planning on looking elsewhere just because of one bad night - nothing's perfect!

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £21.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2555)
  2. FTTP (2301)
  3. FTTC (1688)
  4. Building Digital UK (1628)
  5. Politics (1463)
  6. Openreach (1445)
  7. Business (1277)
  8. FTTH (1132)
  9. Statistics (1120)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1071)
  11. Fibre Optic (987)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (933)
  13. Wireless Internet (932)
  14. 4G (927)
  15. Virgin Media (876)
  16. EE (607)
  17. Sky Broadband (602)
  18. TalkTalk (588)
  19. Vodafone (543)
  20. 3G (418)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules