Sponsored Links

Three - Random 5G drops

Yomonka

Hi peeps. The router I am using is the standard Huawei 5g CPE pro2 included from Three.

For some reason It drops to 4G even though I believe the 5G signal seems decent. The mast itself is close enough for me to throw a rock at it.

5G RSRP -73dBm
5G RSRQ -10.0dB
5G SINR 20dB (Maybe the issue?)

Once it drops to 4G, If I run the "Optimize Location" setting. It will instantly connect back to 5G and give me a score of 100. So I am really lost on why it wants me to use 4g so much.

If anyone has any tips or faced similar issues please let me know

I've had this a few times with my new SMARTY SIM in my phone. Just drops to 4G for no reason, then will randomly flick back to 5G when it feels like it

Much will depend on your position in relation to local masts but with the current NSA implementation the 5G signal is likely to be on a higher frequency (hence weaker), the network will detect when your device goes to idle and knock you back to the 4G control bearer and the provider will be applying network priorities based on demand/config.

5G is only working at specific locations but is actually making things worse in others. It should get better as more 5G NR is present but we are a long way from proper 5G and all operators have to maintain 2G/3G/4G as well as 5G. As they balance load, haul and withdraw their 3G service it will remain changeable.

On the move I set my 5G phone to 4G only simply because where 5G is I have found LTE performance on CAT 20 is very good and the phone doesn't react to weak 5G with no throughput. (across providers)

Some have mitigated this drop back by setting a scheduled reset on the router or placed the router on a basic mains timer. Initiating the router will trigger a fresh mast connection and keep a stream going. Not really what we want though.

Sponsored Links
I've had this a few times with my new SMARTY SIM in my phone. Just drops to 4G for no reason, then will randomly flick back to 5G when it feels like it
Same issue here but with proper Three sim where 5G drops and reverted to 4G intermittently, so pretty sure it's regardless of MNO/MVNO I'd say as long as 5G is enable on your sim (RestrictDCNR=0).

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5467)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1607)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules