Sponsored Links

Three Slower than Smarty?

The coverage checker simply says no 4G at my address. That's one of the reasons I didn't go for a contract straight away.

The availability checker for says the same as shown about. I'm a bit puzzled about why their plugging "mobile broadband" as a solution for someone who doesn't have coverage. Are they suggesting I move?

I wouldn't want one of their hubs anyway, I have a reasonably complex home network which relies on some intelligence in the 4G router. So I have a phone SIM in my own choice of gear.

Which two sims are you using? Im guessing O2 as eSIM and smarty as physical?
Yeah smarty as my data though I am probs gonna change to lebara if they havenโ€™t sorted the last issue by Monday as they said.

O2 is my main number, coverage is good for calls and texts, Iโ€™ve rebuilt my budget to pay off my handset ASAP and move it though, probs to Vodafone as I can get 60% off simo

Sponsored Links
Yeah smarty as my data though I am probs gonna change to lebara if they havenโ€™t sorted the last issue by Monday as they said.

O2 is my main number, coverage is good for calls and texts, Iโ€™ve rebuilt my budget to pay off my handset ASAP and move it though, probs to Vodafone as I can get 60% off simo
Given o2/Voda & Three/EE share most base stations you want broadband on one and your phone sim on the other, preferable your phone provider supports Wi-fi Calling.

Given o2/Voda & Three/EE share most base stations you want broadband on one and your phone sim on the other, preferable your phone provider supports Wi-fi Calling.
The better half wants fixed broadband which is fine. Never had an issue with Sky to be honest. Wouldnโ€™t go near Virgin after all their reports, Iโ€™ll wait til they role out FTTP properly, not via their current rollout method.

Three fixed their issues in my area apparently but itโ€™s still very poor so Vodafone here I come, the good all rounder ๐Ÿ˜‚

Having recently been persuaded to give Smarty a try I haven't noticed a difference in performance compared to my old Three contract. However, I did give the Smarty APN (mob.asm.net) a try last night. It wasn't very good.

Having recently been persuaded to give Smarty a try I haven't noticed a difference in performance compared to my old Three contract. However, I did give the Smarty APN (mob.asm.net) a try last night. It wasn't very good.
What apn do you prefer eccles?

I'm just using the default Smarty apn and not noticing any problems.

Just like your good self, my Smarty speeds are no different than three.

Sponsored Links
I've been using three.co.uk for the last few weeks. It seems to be a bit faster when congestion allows it.

Incidentally, APN 3internet appears to have started using CGNat IP addressing.

TWB, what is your router defaulting to? Mine defaults to 3internet.

Do you mean with the 3 sim? I Haven't had it in the router for a little while eccles, but by memory it used to default to three.co.uk.

No. Out of curiosity, I did a factory reset to the B818 and it defaulted to 3internet. I was using the Smarty sim. I only found out that Smarty uses a different APN when I searched for it on the Smarty website.

No. Out of curiosity, I did a factory reset to the B818 and it defaulted to 3internet. I was using the Smarty sim. I only found out that Smarty uses a different APN when I searched for it on the Smarty website.
Oh I see, to be honest the various apn's never made any difference for me so I'm just sticking with Smarty's own.

I can't remember what apn I got when popped in the Smarty sim as they were all there from previous three days, I did know Smarty had its own apn so I entered that for selection.

I'm not really wanting to reset to see what apn I get, as it's all working great.:giggle:

The better half wants fixed broadband which is fine. Never had an issue with Sky to be honest. Wouldnโ€™t go near Virgin after all their reports, Iโ€™ll wait til they role out FTTP properly, not via their current rollout method.

Three fixed their issues in my area apparently but itโ€™s still very poor so Vodafone here I come, the good all rounder ๐Ÿ˜‚
Poor three signal or 4G (5G?) speeds ?

Hasnโ€™t Vodaโ€™s Lebara still got it 3m half price deal on ? Unlimited data ยฃ12.50. 5G is capped 200Mbps, perfectly usable, might not be on 4G with less priority than Vodafone where you are but worth checking out. Was paying Voda ยฃ35, now ยฃ12.50 till Nov.

Only Three is not 5G here (the 100MHz I want! Typical lol!!)

Hopefully Three will get its backhaul connected ASAP by Nov, all the base stations like thousands more are 4/5G done just waiting to go live with increased backhaul pipes

Oh I see, to be honest the various apn's never made any difference for me so I'm just sticking with Smarty's own.

I can't remember what apn I got when popped in the Smarty sim as they were all there from previous three days, I did know Smarty had its own apn so I entered that for selection.

I'm not really wanting to reset to see what apn I get, as it's all working great.:giggle:

Where saturation is high (like with me here, no 4G Hub available) Three gets priority over Smarty even as a internal MVNO when busy, 15-20 Mbps less than Three contract, never saw Three go under 30, Smarty would go under 20.

4K Netflix and some browsing caused streaming issues on Smarty, no good.

Itโ€™s all completely geographical though, Iโ€™m in a city and to be honest Three should be a lot faster on 4G but like the 5G install any mimo base transmitters installed as part as Ericsson 4/5G upgrades seem not to be on - until the backhaul pipes are updated.

Poor three signal or 4G (5G?) speeds ?

Hasnโ€™t Vodaโ€™s Lebara still got it 3m half price deal on ? Unlimited data ยฃ12.50. 5G is capped 200Mbps, perfectly usable, might not be on 4G with less priority than Vodafone where you are but worth checking out. Was paying Voda ยฃ35, now ยฃ12.50 till Nov.

Only Three is not 5G here (the 100MHz I want! Typical lol!!)

Hopefully Three will get its backhaul connected ASAP by Nov, all the base stations like thousands more are 4/5G done just waiting to go live with increased backhaul pipes
Three used to work amazing here but something changed and itโ€™s gone to poop.

Yeah I seen the lebara ad so itโ€™s more likely my next port of call, shame no wifi calling though, Iโ€™m not aware or seen/noticed anywhere saying about any priority over Vodafone other than 5G, which doesnโ€™t scream priority to me just limitations which is fair.

Three used to work amazing here but something changed and itโ€™s gone to poop.

Yeah I seen the lebara ad so itโ€™s more likely my next port of call, shame no wifi calling though, Iโ€™m not aware or seen/noticed anywhere saying about any priority over Vodafone other than 5G, which doesnโ€™t scream priority to me just limitations which is fair.
Lebara is getting VoLTE later this year along with 5G, I think it'll get Wifi Calling as well.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: ยฃ25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5508)
  2. BT (3513)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2296)
  5. Business (2260)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2042)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1970)
  9. Statistics (1787)
  10. 4G (1662)
  11. Virgin Media (1617)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1458)
  13. Fibre Optic (1393)
  14. Wireless Internet (1388)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules