Sponsored Links

Three UK 5G Down due to Upload Issues

I am still within the 30 days return window of Three, now trying to understand if 5G is better than my Virgin 100M line (the main reason to switch is the extremely disappointing treatment that Virgin gives to existing customers).

Which external router outperforms the 5G CPE Pro?

Interestingly 4G / upload works better if I move the router inside the room, but then 5G / download goes down by 50%.

Maybe if I get the Huawei external antenna, I could place the router in the best position for 4G, while still having a strong 5G using the external antenna.

I forgot to add that, as a geek, I am quite impressed by the stability and speed of 5G. I appreciate that it is only the early stage of this technology (plus my area is poorly covered and Three has various issues), but it is really encouraging to have an alternative to Virgin, in those areas not covered by faster operators (e.g. Hyperopic).

I was expecting a poor experience with video calls, VoIP and remote desktop sessions, but they all worked without any flaw.

I use the Huawei CPE Win on EE (5G, avg 300/80 mbps), paid £250 for it though.
The router is installed outside the window, it's powered over ethernet and doesn't have wifi (except a limited one for config).

I went to mobile broadband because BT couldn't fix my faulty fttc line and Virgin is best avoided, indeed.

Happy bunny so far, but I did start on the journey with Three as well, however the performance was abysmal. Luckily where there's Three, there's also EE and the difference was night and day for me.

Where did you find the CPE Win at 250? For 250 I would buy it rather than spending 150 for the external antenna for the CPE Pro.

The fact that it is powered over ethernet and it can be put in bridge mode is enough to convince me to invest in it.

Is EE unlimited? How much is monthly, if I may?

Hm, I got it from here, but looks like they raised the price :(

It's also here, but they ship from USA, so I'm not sure it's cheaper overall after you count delivery, tax etc:

I'm on the "unlimited" contract sim-only with EE.
Their T&Cs says there could be throttling after 600GB/m, though. Haven't gone over that yet.
I'm paying £31 after some cashback deal, it was £37 initially, but do look for deals etc.

Might be worth getting a payg sim and try it in your router initially.

Reactions: ReX
Does a1stmartshop send from the UK or abroad? I was looking at the shipping times and they say up to 8 days, is it from China?

I have a EE in a 5G mobile but I have never seen 5G signal. I'll see if it works in the router. Ah, I couldn't find any info about the cost of the unlimited plan. How much is that?

They sent mine from UK.
If EE doesn't work on 5G on the phone, unlikely it'll work in the router. Did you try outside as well? EE have a good coverage checker you can use.

Their unlimited data sim is 37/m that I can see on their site.

Sponsored Links
Hm, in another forum someone shared EE have a promo business sim, 24 months @ 25£, 1TB limit. Might be worth checking.

So, I am trying the external antenna (still not placed in the best possible way, just early experiments) and the results are the opposite of what I expected: the download speed became very inconstant (80-140Mbps) and the upload went up from 5Mbps to a solid 20-25Mbps.

It also seems that the external antenna doesn't replace entirely the internal ones, as the position of the router still influences the speed. Strange.

So, I am trying the external antenna (still not placed in the best possible way, just early experiments) and the results are the opposite of what I expected: the download speed became very inconstant (80-140Mbps) and the upload went up from 5Mbps to a solid 20-25Mbps.

It also seems that the external antenna doesn't replace entirely the internal ones, as the position of the router still influences the speed. Strange.

If you have antenna set to auto, it will switch between them, you have to specify the externals.

I have tried all the options and best for me seems to be mix, but this might change if I find a better location for the external antenna.

Am I correct in saying that placing the CPE Pro outside (just for testing, I know it is not meant to be outdoor) gives better performances than the external antenna in the same spot? It seems to be the case here, at least in the few locations I have tried.

Yes. If the antenna is not directional (ie omni) then the router placed outside should imho give equal or better performance.

Sponsored Links
So it seems that the omnidirectional antenna doesn't give me better performances after all. The spike in upload was a coincidence, as I managed to get the same value also with the internal antennas (without putting the router outside).

I will try with a better directional antenna tomorrow, to see if it works better, but I am afraid that the inconsistent performances are due to Three.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules