Sponsored Links

Tiscali email

Ok, call me daft, but I havent setup email on dial up for a very long time.

Do you have to use your ISP's stmp server (for any email, not just theirs) if you have it on outlook express?

My mum is on tiscali dial up (I know, I know, she did it before I could say anything), and cannot get any emails.

In outlook she can recieve fine, but not send. She can do it by webmail, but not from OE.

She has a few email accounts, one being tiscali, and others that are not. It was all working fine before.

So, if Tiscali's smtp servers are down, would that affect all email being sent from Outlook express, or just tiscali's?

Tiscali say there isnt a problem, but I dont trust them at all.

i also had problems with tiscali dial up email everything was working fine for about 2 years and then last year i could recieve but not send emails using my tiscali account from internet explorer or firfox in the end i used a second account i had with ic networks which lets me recieved and send from 3 different email accuonts within the household including my tiscali address formerly gateway .net. which tiscali took over.

Email addresses

I can never understand why anyone would want to use an ISP for email. I have always used Yahoo simply because if I change my ISP then I don't need to email all of my contacts to advise them of my new email address. There is also another very good reason and this is when I download a program - let's say a anti virus program and for some reason I need to download it again some time later, I often find that the software companies will provide you with your serial numbers and purchase details if you input your email address. The problem here for those that change the ISP is remembering your email address when you bought the program.
I think that this idea is very well worth considering.
Dave

Sponsored Links
I too have another email address that I use for those sites that insist on an email address and in conjunction with this I use Incredimail to block further emails from the sender and to bounce the address back to them thus freeing me from further disruption!
Dave

I know, you dont have to tell me about the evils of ISP email. But as I said, this is my mum whom did it all without asking.

As much as Id like her to move email addys, shes kind of tied to them now.

So can anyone answer my questions? And is Tiscali's email working at the moment (its recieveing but not sending).

Old dude said:

So can anyone answer my questions? And is Tiscali's email working at the moment (its recieveing but not sending).

Which is exactly the problem I have with my Hotmail Account in Outlook Express, (see my post in this section ) and one that I still havn't cured, a bit uncanny.

Is it all a big ploy?:shrug:

You might like to ensure the account is set-up correctly.

Outgoing mail server should be port 25 & smtp.tiscali.co.uk

Refer to:
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/help/email/oe_settings.html

It's not unknown for Anti-Virus/Firewall software to sometimes cause problems with outgoing mail, so you may like to try switching off those in order to establish the culprit.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Old dude said:
Ok, call me daft, but I havent setup email on dial up for a very long time.

Do you have to use your ISP's stmp server (for any email, not just theirs) if you have it on outlook express?

If you have an email address with another ISP, some will only allows you to use their SMTP server if you are using their connection, in which case you have to configure the email account's SMTP server to use your current ISP's SMTP.

Others require outgoing authentication (eg Virgin) to be enabled (account properties->servers tab-> "outgoing Mail Server" - My server requires authentication.

All of the email services I still use - (virgin,myrealbox,gmail) provide their own smtp server that works from any connection.

Unfortunately some ISPs have the extremely annoying policy of intercepting all outgoing emails and filtering them for viruses and spam, which can cause huge delivery delays, loss of emails, loss of service and extra headers that may circumvent some mail-forwarding services that withold your real email address etc. (Gmail may be a good choice with these as it uses a non-standard port and secure (SSL) connection )

Last edited:
paul45 said:
It's not unknown for Anti-Virus/Firewall software to sometimes cause problems with outgoing mail, so you may like to try switching off those in order to establish the culprit.

Zonealarm (specifically it's mailsafe feature - which can be disabled), when used with certain anti-virus programs has been known to cause issues.

Update.

Its fixed. I was going to look at it tonight (well ring anyways) but apperently it was AVG and zonealarm put together.

I know it was all setup fine because it was all working.

What happened was, AVG had an update (obviously more than just normal virus database) and zonealarm chucked a wobbly and didnt let it work.

So she uninstalled zonealarm. Not exactly great, I have to get her to install another one now, as its too risky being on the net without a firewall. Its 2000 and not XP, so theres no built in one.

Thanks for all the replies. Im going to attempt to gradually move her over to yahoo mail, because I simply dont trust tiscali.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules