Sponsored

To BE or not to BE

onephat

ULTIMATE Member
Well they've just enabled my exchange. How long does it take to move from IPStream to be LLU?

spinaltap

Casual Member
Was with Pipex, and once I finally managed to get my MAC key from first logging my details with Be and getting connected with Be took exactly 10 days from start to finish.

So glad I made the move.

onephat

ULTIMATE Member
Well waiting on Eclipse top give me my mac, been told its going to take 5 days, every other time the isp has taken about 1 or 2 so dont see why there is a delay.

You enjoying be? what's your distance to the exchange and your connection speed? I'm looking at a 3km line so suppose i'll have to wait and see what speed i get.

Many thanks

Ben

ManOfMeans

ULTIMATE Member
You enjoying be? what's your distance to the exchange and your connection speed? I'm looking at a 3km line so suppose i'll have to wait and see what speed i get.

Many thanks

Ben

If the line length is 3km i would say maybe 5 meg on 2+

onephat

ULTIMATE Member
so only really about 500kbs more than im getting on adsl with eclipse.

ManOfMeans

ULTIMATE Member
so only really about 500kbs more than im getting on adsl with eclipse.

When you get a attenuation/loop loss over 30db then more often you get better results with normal ADSL than with ADSL2+.

chrisuk01

im about 2km from exchange and im getting 4mb speeds. was hoping for a bit more, but atleast its fasster than my old fast24 2mb speed. although at present speeds seem a little eratic

ManOfMeans

ULTIMATE Member
I have a line length of 3.3km and a attenuation of 48-50 and i get lower on 2+ than norm ADSL around 2.8 meg on 2+ and 4 meg on ADSL. It is more the quality of the line which does show in the attenuation but the nanofareds (i think is spelt like that) which matters most on 2+ and coming to think of it i have seen a line of 34db attenuation get 12 meg from the test socket but that had a line length of just over 2km.

Out of interest dlmatthews does your DSLAM's fall back on to ADSL if it gets better results?

chrisuk01

You are approximately 1.99km from the exchange (straight line distance).

should i not get better than 4mb speeds ?

i know it can depend on quality of line, but for saying im on be (upto 24mb speeds) i would have thought being only 2km from exchange would of been able to get atleast 10 - 12mb ??

dlmatthews

Casual Member
Out of interest dlmatthews does your DSLAM's fall back on to ADSL if it gets better results?
Not that I know of (but then I sync at 18.5Mbps). The Speedtouch 716/780 supports ADSL2+ & ADSL2. I know of some that get a better or more stable connection by switching to ADSL2 if their sync rate is less than 12Mbps. This can be done by changing the modulation mode in the CLI of the router.

You are approximately 1.99km from the exchange (straight line distance).

should i not get better than 4mb speeds ?

i know it can depend on quality of line, but for saying im on be (upto 24mb speeds) i would have thought being only 2km from exchange would of been able to get atleast 10 - 12mb ??
Thats 2km straight line distance; first off the shortest road distance isn't going to be 2km, second is that the BT line could be routed away from the exchange before it goes toward it (the line could be more than double what you expect it to be. Even if it does take the shortest route to the exchange, it could be severely impaired by interference en-route.

If you post the stats from the router, it'll probably show how long the line is based on the characteristics, and whether there is possibly noise involved which can possibly be improved on within your premises.

ManOfMeans

ULTIMATE Member
Not that I know of (but then I sync at 18.5Mbps). The Speedtouch 716/780 supports ADSL2+ & ADSL2. I know of some that get a better or more stable connection by switching to ADSL2 if their sync rate is less than 12Mbps. This can be done by changing the modulation mode in the CLI of the router.

Thats 2km straight line distance; first off the shortest road distance isn't going to be 2km, second is that the BT line could be routed away from the exchange before it goes toward it (the line could be more than double what you expect it to be. Even if it does take the shortest route to the exchange, it could be severely impaired by interference en-route.

If you post the stats from the router, it'll probably show how long the line is based on the characteristics, and whether there is possibly noise involved which can possibly be improved on within your premises.

Take it your a techie then and a much better response than when I called the sales people who routed through to asia, whats your experiance with ADSL2?

I also like the choice of router with the vOIP ports, one complaint i have with the 716 is that the wireless borks when its on 2+ when connecting to a Asus wireless card i dont know if its the same with other speedtouches.

dlmatthews

Casual Member
Take it your a techie then and a much better response than when I called the sales people who routed through to asia, whats your experiance with ADSL2?
I might be :laugh: Sofia, Bulgaria actually ;) They closed down the Bangalore, India call centre many months ago. I generally avoid call centres unless its something urgent needed; the responses through the online ticket system are good enough usually.

I also like the choice of router with the vOIP ports, one complaint i have with the 716 is that the wireless borks when its on 2+ when connecting to a Asus wireless card i dont know if its the same with other speedtouches.
Problems with wireless have generally been:-
a) people not having up to date drivers (particularly noticeable problems with pre v10 Intel 2200BG adapter)
b) people not trying alternative wireless channels (Netstumbler can help find free channels, and show signal strength etc)
c) rather than using mixed B/G on the router, try just 802.11g if that's all you use.
d) sometimes the wireless adapter settings need the power saving options disabled (in Device Manager).

Hope that helps ;)

ManOfMeans

ULTIMATE Member
Ive tried it all and it just doesnt want to work, is it speedtouch hardware that Be recommends?

dlmatthews

Casual Member
Ive tried it all and it just doesnt want to work, is it speedtouch hardware that Be recommends?
No, I don't know of them recommending any particular wireless devices. I know of many different wireless adapters being used with the Speedtouch 716 & 780 without problems.

The only other causes of problems with wireless I can think of for you are:-
a) any DECT (wireless) handsets you have may be interferring, as they use the same frequency range of 2.4GHz. Try the wireless with them switched off temporarily. The same applies to Bluetooth devices, some wireless mice, and TV/Video senders.
b) try assigning an IP address to the wireless device manually (sometimes its DHCP issues causing problems). eg IP address of 192.168.1.1, subnet of 255.255.255.0, gateway & DNS of 192.168.1.254.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Vodafone £19.50 (*22.50)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • NOW £20.00 (*32.00)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*25.00)
    Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: ROKUGIFT
  • TalkTalk £21.00 (*29.95)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £21.99 (*30.99)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Vodafone £23.50 (*26.50)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Gigaclear £24.00 (*49.00)
    Speed: 300Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £25.00 (*35.00)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: ROKUGIFT
  • Community Fibre £27.50 (*32.50)
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: First 6 Months Free
  • Virgin Media £28.00 (*52.00)
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (3667)
  2. BT (3044)
  3. Politics (1975)
  4. Building Digital UK (1945)
  5. FTTC (1897)
  6. Openreach (1862)
  7. Business (1717)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1501)
  9. Statistics (1430)
  10. FTTH (1367)
  11. 4G (1295)
  12. Virgin Media (1196)
  13. Fibre Optic (1184)
  14. Wireless Internet (1176)
  15. Ofcom Regulation (1167)
  16. Vodafone (859)
  17. EE (845)
  18. 5G (792)
  19. TalkTalk (781)
  20. Sky Broadband (757)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules