Sponsored

Today's launch 60 new birds

Pheasant

ULTIMATE Member
Potentially much faster than transcontinental fibre links - light travels 50% faster in free space than glass and the distances point to point could be shorter than having to weave around those awkward things called continents scattered a large spherical thing.🤩

dabigm

ULTIMATE Member
Potentially much faster than transcontinental fibre links - light travels 50% faster in free space than glass and the distances point to point could be shorter than having to weave around those awkward things called continents scattered a large spherical thing.🤩

We can do the same with microwave links too at significantly reduced cost obs. But then you require the LOS, so apples and oranges. But I found this article on it was really interesting.

In other news, Oneweb did a launch of 36 satellites yesterday. I still haven't seen their service go live which their CTO? said it would last month, but maybe it is because it's not meant to be a product regular users can just order like starlink.

The Wee Bear

ULTIMATE Member
We can do the same with microwave links too at significantly reduced cost obs. But then you require the LOS, so apples and oranges. But I found this article on it was really interesting.

In other news, Oneweb did a launch of 36 satellites yesterday. I still haven't seen their service go live which their CTO? said it would last month, but maybe it is because it's not meant to be a product regular users can just order like starlink.
Unfortunately I don't think OneWeb is meant for us common as muck folk dabigm, unless eventually via a big bad ISP.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
With OneWeb it's less an issue of the network being ready for beta and more an issue of whether their partners, such as BT and Eutelsat, are ready to offer something as part of a commercial test. But yes, they have slipped a little on some expectations, so we'll see what early 2022 brings.

The Wee Bear

ULTIMATE Member
Just posting the latest Starlink launch stream for anyone who likes watching these things.:cool:

Latest Starlink Launch

Weather permitting, it'll be live in a couple of hours folks, and tonights launch will have a total of 49 satellites on board.

Off to get my popcorn now. ☺️🍿

The Wee Bear

ULTIMATE Member
Yes it's time again for another Starlink launch later folks.:cool:

Another 49 satellites being launched tonight at around midnight (UK), weather permitting of course. (Now delayed 2 hours)

Live Starlink Launch

Just posting in case anyone can't sleep and maybe wants to watch a big rocket go wheeeeeeeee!.:LOL:

The booster supporting this mission previously launched GPS III-3, Turksat 5A, Transporter-2, and six Starlink missions. Following stage separation, SpaceX will land Falcon 9’s first stage on the A Shortfall of Gravitas droneship, which will be stationed in the Atlantic Ocean. Each of Falcon 9’s fairing halves previously supported one Starlink mission.

Last edited:

The Wee Bear

ULTIMATE Member
It's that time again folks, another 49 Starlink satellites being sent upwards tonight at around 10.30 pm, weather permitting.

Will pop on the live link later when available incase anyone wishes to partake in watching such big thrusty things. 😊

They sure are busy, they have 2 launches tonight. :rolleyes:

Here's the non Starlink feed folks just in case they don't stream the 2 events live.

Non Starlink Launch (COSMO Skymed)

Just so you have something to watch.(y)

Last edited:

Pheasant

ULTIMATE Member
…quite a few less birdies per tin can than earlier launches. Is this because the new v1.5 and v2.0 birdies are bigger/heavier than the originals due to lasers and stuff…?

The Wee Bear

ULTIMATE Member
…quite a few less birdies per tin can than earlier launches. Is this because the new v1.5 and v2.0 birdies are bigger/heavier than the originals due to lasers and stuff…?
Screenshot_20220201-071100_Edge.jpg

Yes, exactly right Pheasant, bigger and heavier. (y)

Here's a piccy of the older lighter version, amazing how they never seem to bump or get stuck together on deployment.☺️

Last edited:

Lucian

ULTIMATE Member
How do these things look in space once they "expand" into the final shape?

The Wee Bear

ULTIMATE Member
Screenshot_20220201-090742_Google.jpg

A size comparison for you Lucian, just in case you want one for your living room.

You might have to remove the solar panels and pop them on the ceiling.☺️

The Wee Bear

ULTIMATE Member
I don’t know what I expected them to look like, but it wasnt this 😂
Yeah they look quite unusal CarlO1460 with just the gubbins (technical term) on one end, and the rest is the solar panel.😊

The Wee Bear

ULTIMATE Member
Live Starlink Launch

Here's the link for the next Starlink launch folks, should anyone wish to watch.

Not due until tomorrow, (3rd Feb) but thought I may as well post it now so I don't forget. ☺️

Last edited:

The Wee Bear

ULTIMATE Member
The booster supporting this mission previously launched Crew-1, Crew-2, SXM-8, CRS-23, and IXPE. Following stage separation, SpaceX will land Falcon 9’s first stage on the A Shortfall of Gravitas droneship, which will be stationed in the Atlantic Ocean. One fairing half previously supported five Starlink missions, and the other half previously supported Transporter-1 and two Starlink missions.

Just over an hour until the latest Starlink launch folks.

Live Stream

😊

The Wee Bear

ULTIMATE Member
They not giving them sun glasses (sorry solar glare shield) any more to appease the ‘stronomers?
Yes
They not giving them sun glasses (sorry solar glare shield) any more to appease the ‘stronomers?
It's just the early stages you can see them now Pheasant, once they eventually separate and reach their intended orbit position, they magically 'disappear' from sight.

Here's a nice video of an early passing fleet of Starlink satellites for your delectation.

Starlink trains crossing

Looks very cool, unless of course you're an astronomer.😊

At least the birds seem happy enough.😁

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 30Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • NOW £21.00
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £21.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £75 Reward Card
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Community Fibre £20.00
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £25.00
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £25.00
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £25.00
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (4008)
  2. BT (3131)
  3. Politics (2085)
  4. Building Digital UK (2007)
  5. Openreach (1950)
  6. FTTC (1915)
  7. Business (1803)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1585)
  9. Statistics (1484)
  10. FTTH (1369)
  11. 4G (1357)
  12. Virgin Media (1264)
  13. Ofcom Regulation (1226)
  14. Fibre Optic (1220)
  15. Wireless Internet (1218)
  16. Vodafone (919)
  17. EE (899)
  18. 5G (871)
  19. TalkTalk (814)
  20. Sky Broadband (782)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules