Sponsored

Told cannot have BT fibre and a landline/ home phone

TSP45

I am currently with John Lewis broadband and have a standard ADSL service with landline. The speeds are poor so I phoned John Lewis up and asked if they could upgrade me to fibre. They said they were not able to do this but put me through to BT who they said could. I told the sales person at BT that I wanted fibre and a landline. However, as she was putting the order through she said that my line could not support fibre and landline. In effect I could have fibre but would have to sacrifice the home phone and lose my landline number. She gave a number of possible reasons for this but could not say exactly why this is the case at my property. She stated that the home phone would not work if fibre was installed. This was the same for fibre and full fibre. I know that my direct neighbour has FTTP and a landline, in fact the road I live on had FTTP installed when the properties (converted barns) were done up about 13 years ago. Can anyone tell me if this is correct and could such a scenario exist as ideally we do not want to lose the landline and home phone, thanks.

Meatball

Pro Member
To verify exactly it will need your post code and house. If you post it (or private message me) I will attempt to confirm.

EDIT on reflection.

I think this may simply be a misunderstanding of terms in the conversations. We would need to verify if FTTP is available or whether FTTC is available. If the latter then I would have expected John Lewis to accept the order.

In FTTP areas (Full Fibre) you can order with or without a voice service (BT Digital Voice). The physical landline ceases.

In FTTC areas (Fibre) you can order with or without a landline service

You may be caught in a BT process change or database error where only the no landline product is currently visible. So I think there is something specific relating to your exchange or location.

Last edited:

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
BT are currently in a transition phase to their new Digital Voice (VoIP) service, but eventually it will be their only solution for a phone service (whether via FTTP or FTTC). At present though it's a bit of a mishmash approach, so some people can get FTTP/C + Traditional Phone and others will get FTTP/C + Digital Voice.

The key thing here is that Digital Voice can still work with a regular DECT phone, you just connect it to the router instead. Now, quite why BT's front line support were saying you could "only" have a data only version of FTTP and no phone service I don't know as in that case they should still be supplying Digital Voice. But not all of BT's staff are clued-up on these things.

TSP45

Thanks for your help with this. I think I just got an advisor who was not clued up. Will look at other providers and see what they can offer. Thanks again for replies.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: HYPER21
  • Plusnet £22.50 (*36.52)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £60 Reward Card
  • Onestream £22.50 (*27.99)
    Speed 45Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £22.95
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Vodafone £26.00
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £27.99 (*51.00)
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £29.00 (*35.00)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: HYPER21
  • TalkTalk £32.00 (*39.95)
    Speed: 145Mbps, Unlimited
  • Giganet £35.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (3050)
  2. BT (2886)
  3. FTTC (1835)
  4. Building Digital UK (1815)
  5. Politics (1777)
  6. Openreach (1710)
  7. Business (1544)
  8. FTTH (1351)
  9. Mobile Broadband (1345)
  10. Statistics (1321)
  11. 4G (1158)
  12. Fibre Optic (1109)
  13. Wireless Internet (1081)
  14. Virgin Media (1072)
  15. Ofcom Regulation (1069)
  16. EE (767)
  17. Vodafone (747)
  18. TalkTalk (717)
  19. Sky Broadband (704)
  20. 5G (630)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules