Sponsored Links

TP-Link SafeStream Business Gigabit Multi-WAN VPN Router

sja0001

Pro Member
Sorry about the title, it's a little long-winded but....
I have just bought this router with the intention of combining (load balancing) 3 ISP's Three, EE and Smarty, all 5g devices. Having changed the IP address of two of the routers which were the same, I've managed to get all 3 connected via the WAN ports on the router and have to say the connection is a lot more stable than on a single router but I've not really seen any speed increase. I've ticked "load balancing" and disabled "Optimized Routing" and "Bandwidth Balance Routing" . Whilst it's far better in terms of reliability it would be nice to see some speed improvement. Has anyone any thoughts? Thank you

Attachments

• Selection_001.jpg
    Selection_001.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 151
Sponsored Links
how will this go though?

let's say you'll get 500mbps x3 providers

and you start a speedtest
won't you get a max of 500? even with the aggregation ?

i know 500x3 is not quite 500 :) but , that's not quite aggregation, is there?

how will this go though?

let's say you'll get 500mbps x3 providers

and you start a speedtest
won't you get a max of 500? even with the aggregation ?

i know 500x3 is not quite 500 :) but , that's not quite aggregation, is there?
Aggregation in theory, for certain loads, like bittorrent, will give him 1.5 Gbps.
In practice I doubt that device can even push 500 Mbps in total. Needs actual testing.

Plus.. His lan ports are 1 Gbps anyway

Sorry about the title, it's a little long-winded but....
I have just bought this router with the intention of combining (load balancing) 3 ISP's Three, EE and Smarty, all 5g devices. Having changed the IP address of two of the routers which were the same, I've managed to get all 3 connected via the WAN ports on the router and have to say the connection is a lot more stable than on a single router but I've not really seen any speed increase. I've ticked "load balancing" and disabled "Optimized Routing" and "Bandwidth Balance Routing" . Whilst it's far better in terms of reliability it would be nice to see some speed improvement. Has anyone any thoughts? Thank you
I've got the same type of router (TL-R605) aggregating a Smarty and Lebrera 4G WAN. The only difference is I use the full Omada set up (Switch and 2 AP's) If you use Speedtest.net I only really see the one WAN connection if I use nperf I get a higher speed than one WAN gives me but still reports the one supplier. So I would suggest nperf to prove you have aggregation.

Just a quick question have you got your 5G routers in bridge mode, I couldn't get my tp-link router to get an IP address when I changed my 4G routers to bridge mode.

Just a quick question have you got your 5G routers in bridge mode, I couldn't get my tp-link router to get an IP address when I changed my 4G routers to bridge mode.
Had the same issue with opnsense (pfsense), can't seem to get dhcp ip from huawei in bridge mode. Linux had no problem with it, so that's what I'm running in my router (intel nuc) currently.

Sponsored Links
Okay, updated the settings and it seemed slower but when I removed the EE connection it speeded things up a bit. I'll stick to just the 2 from now on I think. I have been using Speedtest.net but will try as you suggest, thank you.
I don't have my routers in Bridge mode, I simply turned off their wifi signals?

Okay, updated the settings and it seemed slower but when I removed the EE connection it speeded things up a bit. I'll stick to just the 2 from now on I think. I have been using Speedtest.net but will try as you suggest, thank you.
I don't have my routers in Bridge mode, I simply turned off their wifi signals?
I smell double NAT. Maybe not so much on the three connection but deffo on the Lebara. I don't know specifics but I know that double NAT isn't a good thing.

I smell double NAT. Maybe not so much on the three connection but deffo on the Lebara. I don't know specifics but I know that double NAT isn't a good thing.
Double nat can be bad for certain applications, like games or voip, but usually throughput is not affected.

It's possible ee's latency is higher and causing this.

I'll try to load balance both ee and 3 in my router soon and will watch our for this kind of stuff.

Double nat can be bad for certain applications, like games or voip, but usually throughput is not affected.

It's possible ee's latency is higher and causing this.

I'll try to load balance both ee and 3 in my router soon and will watch our for this kind of stuff.
Okay, I knew it wasn't Great but wasn't sure on specifics. EE has gone downhill as I have mentioned a few times now, they needs to sort their act out.

Sponsored Links
Had the same issue with opnsense (pfsense), can't seem to get dhcp ip from huawei in bridge mode. Linux had no problem with it, so that's what I'm running in my router (intel nuc) currently.
It's good to know I'm not the only one to have issues getting the huawei to pass an IP. There is one more thing I need to do before I resign myself to double NAT. The Tp-link router can have a alternative MAC address on the WAN ports so I was going to try putting a MAC in from my laptop that does get an IP address. I just need to book some down time with the "management" as the router resets both WANs when you make any changes.

I simply turned off their wifi signals?
It might be worth turning all the router functions off in your 5G routers + turn their DHCP servers off as well and going for a fixed IP address if you haven't already.

It's good to know I'm not the only one to have issues getting the huawei to pass an IP. There is one more thing I need to do before I resign myself to double NAT. The Tp-link router can have a alternative MAC address on the WAN ports so I was going to try putting a MAC in from my laptop that does get an IP address. I just need to book some down time with the "management" as the router resets both WANs when you make any changes.

It might be worth turning all the router functions off in your 5G routers + turn their DHCP servers off as well and going for a fixed IP address if you haven't already.
Thanks for the response, just tried all that and speed does seem a little better know. I'll keep an eye on it over the next week or so - thank you again.

Sponsored Links
I am using a Draytek 2925 to load balance 2 4G routers, one Three and one EE, I also have a routing rule that directs all port 80 and 443 traffic to EE wan as Three in peak periods can stall. I see the combined traffic speeds using Speedtest but only the EE speed through Fast.com, removing the routing rule gets combined speeds on Fast.com. load balancing works most of the time as most downloads are multi threaded, not just peer to peer.

Aggregation in theory, for certain loads, like bittorrent, will give him 1.5 Gbps.
In practice I doubt that device can even push 500 Mbps in total. Needs actual testing.

Plus.. His lan ports are 1 Gbps anyway
Yup, it's a 1gb max! Not quite getting that now but I do have a stable signal and hovering between 200 and 300mbs. Thanks

Just for info I'm now officially in a Three 5g area, the signal seems a lot more reliable, rarely drops to 4g now, and the speed fluctuates between just about 200mbps and nearly 600mbps. I am using the load balancing router but it doesn't seem to be having a big impact on my speed though.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5467)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1607)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules