Sponsored Links

Tplink and Smarty not working. Help please.

92diggers

Casual Member
I've bought a Tplink MR6400 and a Smarty SIM from Amazon. I've activated the SIM and I can connect to the router (both aerials installed) but when I try to access the Internet it's saying there is no Internet connection.

I was hoping this would be plug in and play. Can anyone help me get connected please?

Thanks

I've bought a Tplink MR6400 and a Smarty SIM from Amazon. I've activated the SIM and I can connect to the router (both aerials installed) but when I try to access the Internet it's saying there is no Internet connection.

I was hoping this would be plug in and play. Can anyone help me get connected please?

Thanks
Have you set up the router for smarty? E.g. the APN.

Smartys APN is mob.asm.net and that's it

Thanks. Being new to this, I didn't know what this meant but I googled it and plugged the router into my desktop PC.

I had to create a new profile because the THREE named profile had the ASM greyed out. So, I set up a new profile and entered the ASM as mob.asm.net and then checked on my phone if I could connect to the router wirelessly, which it did. I was pleased but when I did a speed check I wasn't happy with the speed where the router was placed so I disconnected it from the PC and moved it to another room.

Now it won't work in any room. It says no Internet available.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong please?

Sponsored Links
You say that both aerials are installed. Presumably these are bunny ear types? If so, make sure you have them selected in the router firmware. Maybe also try the router's internal aerials if it has them.
Also get hold of a means of measuring signal strength such as LTE Inspecteur or LTEH Monitor for PC or HUACtrl for Android.

Thanks. Yes bunny type. Connecting to the router wirelessly seems fine. It's Internet connection that's failing. Something seems to have changed since I unplugged it and moved it.

Try putting the sim back in your phone to make sure that you can actually get a signal and that the sim is active. Load a web page to test for data.
You might also try a factory reset of your router. Are the bunny ears for the wi-fi or the mobile signal? If they are for mobile they will be labeled ant 1 and ant 2 or similar. If not try setting the router for internal antennae.

Sponsored Links
I can't put the SIM in my phone because it's locked to EE unfortunately.

I'll try a factory reset on the router.

I can't put the SIM in my phone because it's locked to EE unfortunately.

I'll try a factory reset on the router.
any phones not locked to EE? What phone is it and how long have you had it????

I've reset the router and it is working OK. 5mbps though is not exactly the speeds I was hoping for unfortunately.

My phone is locked because I work for BT.

My phone 4G on EE gives me 13mbps,which isn't lightning fast but it's better than the flaky copper BT broadband which I'm currently stuck with.

I need to try some other network SIMS.

It's great that you have the option for mobile broadband to replace slow fixed broadband but finding the right provider is a real pain.

Sponsored Links
Checking the info for that router shows that it's only a cat4 device. However if there is a means to try a different band than the one you're currently getting then it might be worth trying. You say it's a Smarty sim, which is Three. Three uses bands 1 and 3 plus 32 in a few areas.
You can find out what mast Three is likely using with website cellmapper.

I'm not familiar with your router. Get into the web based menu that you used to set the router password (You have set this I hope!) probably 192.168.0.1 or maybe 192.168.1.1. The router manual will have it. Find the network or system options.

Sponsored Links
Further, accessing cell mapper and finding where the mast is will give you a good indicator on where best to site the router for best signal.

When i was doing research on that router last year (don't quote me on this, it's been a while) I don't think you can do this with the current firmware, unless its been updated since then. People had to use the beta firmware. But i believe its possible with the beta.

Oh, it seems there may be official firmware for it now with a quick google search. You may need to update your router firmware before you see the option of band selection

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules