Sponsored

Trying to get Virgin cabling from a close by road

Alex_UK

Casual Member
Hey guys,

I've a problematic FTTC that after 12 months of battling with Openreach, simply never worked well.

My close doesn't have virgin cabling, but the road behind my close has and I was hoping I can convince virgin to get the cabling down here to my house or perhaps pay a virgin chap to do the work privately, or last resort get a neighbour to get a BB and then I get a long CAT6 shielded cable down there which may be around 80m in total.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone has tried something similar before and if virgin is flexible with this type of connection?

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
The difficulty with Virgin tends to be in overcoming the first hurdle (i.e. just finding the right person to discuss it with). Most of the people you will encounter are on their front-line team and are thus completely useless at engaging with build issues. You could perhaps try the form on this page:

I'd also say that it's worth speaking to any neighbours who might be in the same position in order to see if they'd support a Virgin connection (like a small local campaign). Virgin probably won't be interested if it's just one person who wants the service, but if you can show real demand then that helps with the model.

Alex_UK

Casual Member
The difficulty with Virgin tends to be in overcoming the first hurdle (i.e. just finding the right person to discuss it with). Most of the people you will encounter are on their front-line team and are thus completely useless at engaging with build issues. You could perhaps try the form on this page:

I'd also say that it's worth speaking to any neighbours who might be in the same position in order to see if they'd support a Virgin connection (like a small local campaign). Virgin probably won't be interested if it's just one person who wants the service, but if you can show real demand then that helps with the model.
Thanks I'll try that. I've tried hyperoptic here but my neighbours are really bad at getting together for a common cause

onephat

ULTIMATE Member
Is the road private? If it isn’t I doubt the local authority would approve of you digging it up and laying cat6.

Alex_UK

Casual Member
public road, but no one uses it, I think it was used for garages back in the day but now is just a place to dump crap

Captain_Cretin

ULTIMATE Member
Hey guys,

I've a problematic FTTC that after 12 months of battling with Openreach, simply never worked well.

My close doesn't have virgin cabling, but the road behind my close has and I was hoping I can convince virgin to get the cabling down here to my house or perhaps pay a virgin chap to do the work privately, or last resort get a neighbour to get a BB and then I get a long CAT6 shielded cable down there which may be around 80m in total.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone has tried something similar before and if virgin is flexible with this type of connection?
What exactly is the issue? BT are terrible at getting anything fixed, but other ISPs using the same resources can get Open Reach to do nearly anything.

Alex_UK

Casual Member
I use ICUK, they were were helpful so far with 4 BT engineers visiting and always BS reasons, blaming internal wiring. It drops traffic from time to time, I need to drop pppoe session and re authenticate. It does not lose sync. The line was first syncing too fast and SNR was a bit bad, lowered the SNR target and kept dropping, I was moved to another DSLAM card/port and then got a lot more stable, it rarely drops now but I'm stuck at 35mbit.

Captain_Cretin

ULTIMATE Member
I use ICUK, they were were helpful so far with 4 BT engineers visiting and always BS reasons, blaming internal wiring. It drops traffic from time to time, I need to drop pppoe session and re authenticate. It does not lose sync. The line was first syncing too fast and SNR was a bit bad, lowered the SNR target and kept dropping, I was moved to another DSLAM card/port and then got a lot more stable, it rarely drops now but I'm stuck at 35mbit.
Ah, I used to have a similar problem; bad card at the exchange.

BT were well aware of it, but refused to change it, as it was only intermittent, and only REALLY bad on one port. They will have just moved you to a different port on the same card I suspect.

I got told by an OR engineer that they have a big budget for new infrastructure, but bugger all for repairs/replacements on existing kit.

Alex_UK

Casual Member
They were charging every time something like £150 for each visit, their checks sometimes would show line perfectly fine, sometimes the line had tons of FEC errors. OR engineer suggested my internal wiring was the problem, then I suggested leaving the modem connected directly to the line outside my house to test but said he cannot do that. I was moved to an "older" card which was pretty much full and it got more stable. My ping from 5ms increased to 15ms and sometimes it fluctuates a bit further than that but at least the connection is a lot more stable.

I was thinking about wiring a new line from the front to inside the house which is about 2 or 3m, but to be honest I'm not convinced. Also I got a dreytek 130 VSDL modem and pfsense firewall behind it so I can see exactly what is happening. The sync was not dropping, just pppoe authentication so I'm not entirely convinced it was a physical problem with the line.

By the way, I was the only person on the new DSLAM card, and that was giving all sort of hassles. I had to suggest them to move to another DSLAM card which actually resolved the problem mostly. I guess they could pay me the £150.

Captain_Cretin

ULTIMATE Member
They were charging every time something like £150 for each visit, their checks sometimes would show line perfectly fine, sometimes the line had tons of FEC errors. OR engineer suggested my internal wiring was the problem, then I suggested leaving the modem connected directly to the line outside my house to test but said he cannot do that. I was moved to an "older" card which was pretty much full and it got more stable. My ping from 5ms increased to 15ms and sometimes it fluctuates a bit further than that but at least the connection is a lot more stable.

I was thinking about wiring a new line from the front to inside the house which is about 2 or 3m, but to be honest I'm not convinced. Also I got a dreytek 130 VSDL modem and pfsense firewall behind it so I can see exactly what is happening. The sync was not dropping, just pppoe authentication so I'm not entirely convinced it was a physical problem with the line.

By the way, I was the only person on the new DSLAM card, and that was giving all sort of hassles. I had to suggest them to move to another DSLAM card which actually resolved the problem mostly. I guess they could pay me the £150.
Since swapping cards fixed it, I would be demanding ALL of the £150's back, pointing out that the error was at their end not yours.

If they dont comply I would be on the court website registering a small claims complaint against them; tacking on a couple of Hundred for my wasted time!!!.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £18.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 30Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Code: HYPER19
  • Vodafone £21.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Amazon Echo Plus
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Gift: None
  • Origin Broadband £23.00
  • SSE £23.00 (*33.00)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2428)
  2. FTTP (2036)
  3. FTTC (1612)
  4. Building Digital UK (1557)
  5. Politics (1355)
  6. Openreach (1351)
  7. Business (1190)
  8. Statistics (1054)
  9. FTTH (985)
  10. Mobile Broadband (982)
  11. Fibre Optic (948)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (891)
  13. Wireless Internet (872)
  14. 4G (857)
  15. Virgin Media (819)
  16. Sky Broadband (577)
  17. EE (564)
  18. TalkTalk (558)
  19. Vodafone (481)
  20. Security (399)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules